Thread: canola oil & other oils

Default canola oil & other oils

I've typed "canola oil" in google and the results were SPOOOOOKY.

Have you heard about it?

There were different opinions of course.

WHOM TO TRUST?

I'm using lots of rapeseed oil so I don't know if i should quit it and use sunflower oils. Olive oil is much too expensive for me to use it for example everytime I'm cooking onions or fries.
    I like Eminem - Encore

I avoid Canola oil. When I bake or stiry fry I use sunflower, grapeseed or peanut oil. For low/no heat I use extra virgin olive oil. It has a low smoking point (I think 375 degrees.) There is an excellent book on various cooking oils published by a by a doctor. I can't think of the name at the moment. I will try to locate it.

ConsciousCuisine

"Fats That Heal, Fats that Kill" by Udo Erasmus is a great book on oils and fats...

I avoid Canola oil and don't cook with it and avoid foods that have it, but it is in nearly every processed Vegan food there is (fortified rice and soy milks, faux products (Vegan Gourmet Soy Cheese, Gimme Lean etc.) and so I know my family gets it on the occasions that they have a "fun food" day... That doesn't mean I am happy about it!

Extra Virgin Olive and Coconut Oils are my first choices for preparing foods. For 100% Raw, "Udo's Choice" oil for health and flavor...it is also good over steamed veggies and soups etc. that are a bit warmer than room temp. or cold.

That's the book I was trying to remember. It is very informative.

i didn't know much about canola oil, as it doesn't seem to be used in the UK very much, but from what i've just read i think i'll try to avoid it.

sorry if this is a stupid question but is the Udo Erasmus who wrote "Fats That Heal, Fats that Kill" the same Udo as in Udo's Choice?

i usually use organic sunflower oil, olive oil or sesame oil. are these ok?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

ConsciousCuisine

[QUOTE=Gorilla

sorry if this is a stupid question but is the Udo Erasmus who wrote "Fats That Heal, Fats that Kill" the same Udo as in Udo's Choice?

i usually use organic sunflower oil, olive oil or sesame oil. are these ok?[/QUOTE]

Yes, one and the same. I have had the luck and pleasure of spending time with him and have picked his brain!

Those are good oils