Thread: vegetable broth

Default vegetable broth

I'm wondering, how many of you make your own vegetable broth?
    I have been buying mine, (box) and I'm not fond of the flavor.

It seems like it has a lot of a "squash" type of flavor going on, I would prefer a much milder flavor.
    When I make different dishes, the broth seems to totally take over the flavor of the dish. I made a mushroom sun dried tomato risotto yesterday and all I could taste was that broth, yuck.
    I'm going to start making my own, do any of you have a favorite recipe? I am newly vegan (3months) I have some recipe books with vegetable broth in them, just curious if any of you have recipes you use?

Default Re: vegetable broth

I find celery or celeriac are good things to put in a stock/broth, along with onions and anything else flavourful - large misshapen carrots are good if you can get them Cook it slowly for an hour or two, and then make sure no one throws it away thinking those limp old vegetables must be finished with (yes it's happened to me).

As a basis for risottos and soups I often just use water, perhaps with a dash of wine. I agree the taste of commercial stock/broth can be too overpowering.

Sometimes I make my own broth. I like to use leeks. Celery is good, too, and so are parsnips, carrots, and tomatoes. I don't have a recipe, I just do periodic taste tests!

Wow, great information, I will try all of these veggies and make my own from here forth!
    I like the wine idea in the risotto, sounds so flavorful with the mushrooms (mushroom lover here)

thanks for the ideas, I have been wasting my money on those broths.
    I will warn my husband not to touch that pan on the stove with the not so pretty veggies in it lol

patientia

I've been making my own broth for about a year (and saving the water from boiling vegs for soups and stews). I use potato peels, celeriac peels, carrot and parsnip ends and peels, onion roots, tops of leeks, sweet pepper seeds, apple peels, kiwi peels, radish tops, cucumber peels, zucchini peels etc. I strain the cooked broth through a gauze. Once I made a mistake and put carrots and onions from a can of jalapenos, and tasted it only after I made a butternut pumpkin soup with it. It was edible, but I never want to eat so hot (pungent) butternut pumpkin soup again.