Thread: Japanese whalers en route

boatsteem1

Default Japanese whalers en route

Today, sunday 18 of November, Japanese whaling vessles set off with the purpose of killing 50 humpback whales, 50 fin whales and 850 minke whales.

Hunting of humpback whales has been restricted since an international moratorium put a stop to commercial whaling in 1982. Japan claims that the hunt is for scientific purposes, but the meat is sold on the market.

In 2006, a total of 14 000 whales were caught by Japanese ships, according to Japan's Fisheries Agency.

Also Iceland and Norway openly breaks the moratorium by allowing hunting.

----

End of my objective news report... on to my personal opinion: WAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!
    Japan, being such a heroistic country with Kyoto and all, why do they have to hunt protected species? Even the friendly humpbacks? Can nothing be left holy?

Default Re: Japanese whalers en route

I saw some footage on the news, of ppl on a beach in a formation to show a whale and SAVE WHALE or something, anyone know where that was?

Mahk

This US TV starlet has been in the news here recently:
    [YOUTUBE]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5712255442799606543&q=hayden+panet tiere+whales&total=83&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=sea rch&plindex=0[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not quite sure what to make of these sorts of people; I'm sure after a hard day of work of saving sea mammals, they all sit down, congratulate each other, and then eat land mammals!

Edit: I can't play the white box as a youtube video directly. Are others of you able too? Here's the same link for people with computers that block it (like mine does):
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

Near to where I live (about half an hour's drive) there is the Hervey Bay whale watch. Thousands of people come during the season when the whales are here, to go out in the local boats to be near the whales, and watch them play. It is a tourist industry, so of course people here are not happy at all about the Japanese whaling ships coming around. Capt Watson will bring the Sea Shepherd to try and stop the whaling, and already the Japanese are moaning that Sea Shepherd damaged one of their whaling ships last year. But although they come illegally into Australian antarctic waters, the Australian govt does nothing to stop this slaughter. I guess as the govt doesn't want to upset their trading relations.
    Eve

The Humpack whale population of eastern Australia was reduced to around 100 individuals by the end of commercial whaling in 1962. Since then, Humpack numbers have steadily risen and today over 2500 migrate past Brisbane every year.

When Humpback whales were commercially harvested between 1952 and 1962, Australia made around 1 million pounds (current value around $32M) annually in sales of oil and other whale by-products.

Today in Australia, around $70M is earned annually through whale-watching and associated tourist business.
    I took that from a sign I saw recently in the Queensland museum. It seems Australia's economy does a lot better from protecting the whales. Now, if we could only get the government to protect them even better.

I remember reading something from Capt Watson, who has campaigned constantly against the baby seal slaughter in Canada. He suggested it would be more financially beneficial to Canada if they started a seal watch instead of thumping the baby seals on their heads to cut off their coats, mostly in front of the mother seals. People would pay to visit and see the little ones and their mothers, just as people do that to see the whales down here.
    Eve

I don't know if this is true (I hope and suspect it's not), but somebody on another forum said that Australia is actually sending navy ships to protect the Japanese ships from Greenpeace vessels who intend to disrupt the hunt.

Where is IFAW?

You can keep up to date with what Sea Shepheard and Greenpeace are doing to try to help the whales.
    http://www.seashepherd.org/migaloo/
    http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/blog/ab...backs-20071119

Yeh Eve the whalers act illegally but then cry like babies if their whale killing gets interupted by anti whaling ships.

Quote Farflame View Post
    I don't know if this is true (I hope and suspect it's not), but somebody on another forum said that Australia is actually sending navy ships to protect the Japanese ships from Greenpeace vessels who intend to disrupt the hunt.
    The govt is sending a navy ship to monitor what is happening. Of course it is a disgrace because the whalers are breaking the law coming down here to kill the whales - we can only hope that the Sea Shepherd's 'Operation Migaloo' will do what they always do, and that is, their best to defend the law by obstructing the whalers so they run away (as they did last time).
    Eve

If I was in charge, anyone entering Australian waters with the intentions of whaling would be made to leave! - Even if it took a few friendly missiles for them to get the message…lol. - Not that that’s a particularly peaceful approach…Oops!
    Live honourably by becoming what you pretend to be. - Socrates

It would be encouraging to see the Aussie Defence Force waging a just war for a change...

Damn Straight!
    Live honourably by becoming what you pretend to be. - Socrates

boatsteem1

Default Australia Sends Patrols to Shadow Japan Whalers

According to Planet Ark, Australia sends patrols to shadow japanese whalers.

The environmental news agency continues: "Australia will send a fisheries patrol ship to shadow Japan's whaling fleet near Antarctica and gather evidence for a possible international court challenge to halt the yearly slaughter, the government said on Wednesday."

Read the full story here:
    http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsst...6126/story.htm

boatsteem1

Default Japan Seen Halting Humpback Whale Hunt - US Envoy

Japan has agreed not to kill humpback whales during its current Antarctic hunt, the US ambassador to Tokyo said on Wednesday, a move that could help ease criticism of its controversial whaling programme, writes Planet Ark.

Read the full story here:
    http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsst...6124/story.htm

Great news

boatsteem1

It is a great victory for the light

Now let's see what what happens to the other 13 950 whales...

Australians are quick to criticise the Japanese for whaling, but happy enough to butcher kangaroos. And then there's the live export trade. Talk about hypocrisy.