Thread: Vegan and fitness

Default Vegan and fitness

I am a vegan yoga teacher and although I have many students who love yoga, there is not one vegetarian. As yoga promotes a peaceful lifestyle, this surprises me. Does anyone else have a simialar experience? Also, talking of yoga, my eight month old son and I have aweekly vlog for new mothers if you want to inform anyone! It's free and very funny. We are at www.yogababy.tv or you can get the show though itunes.
    Jill.

Default Re: Vegan and fitness

No surprise to me: I am in Beijing for a while where there are heaps of yoga classes at gyms and many Buddhists... but very few vegetarians!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I was taking a yoga class where I had an argument with the instructor once because she insisted I couldn't get enough protein from a vegan diet in order to exercise. Needless to say that was my last class.

Beijing is a strange place...strangest thing I saw was probably the sausage stand outside of the Buddhist temple...

....swallow the sausage then go in and light incense and pray for good fortune. Typical.

It's the westerners that get me: at home they tut tut the bush-meat trade and pooh pooh the decimation of shark species by overfishing.But come banquet time here, don't they just tuck into sharkfin soup and rare 'exotic' dishes.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I'm surprised by that. I became addicted to yoga first, and then my yoga practice helped me to become clearer and start telling the truth about how it made me feel to eat animals. Then I became vegan. Yoga and being vegan seem so logical together. I practice at home with DVDs but I always had the fantasy that yoga classes in yoga studios would be filled with vegetarians. I'm not a brand new mom but I do have young children and I'll check out your vlog.

Up until a few weeks ago, I had been practicing Yoga for about a year and a half. I was the only vegan in the class. There weren't even any vegetarians. Well there was a vegetarian who ate fish but she doesn't count.

I was really disappointed.

This reminds me a bit of my friend's mum who acted all spiritual and new age, but not only did she eat meat she also smoked like a chimney! She wouldn't wear sunscreen to avoid getting 'toxins' on her skin and absorbed into her skin, but didn't think about all the stuff she was puffing straight into her lungs! I argued with her about it a couple of times, and she admitted it was hypocritical, but she didn't change.
    How can people expect to be at peace in their minds and bodies if half of what they do contracdicts the other half?

On the topic of yoga, does anyone know of any good pregnancy yoga classes in London (North preferably) for a complete novice? I have a back injury I need to be careful of too, so I want to find a really good teacher.
    Kia kaha e hoa, kia ora

After years of practicing at home, I'm just starting to take classes with a group, so I haven't gotten far enough to discussion veganism with my classmates/teachers yet. I usually take my time to get to know people.

I do have a question though ...

Practicing at home always did wonders for my health. I never had back problems, my immune system is stellar, etc.

Last night I took a pretty intense class and when I got home, I actually felt nauseated and dizzy. I went straight to bed without dinner (and I usually have a healthy appetite).

Is this normal? Will I eventually adopt to the intensity of the class?

I hope so because I love the class and the teacher. She's one of the few that actually challenges me, rather than just adjust me to proper position.

Quote Roxy View Post
    Up until a few weeks ago, I had been practicing Yoga for about a year and a half. I was the only vegan in the class. There weren't even any vegetarians. Well there was a vegetarian who ate fish but she doesn't count.

I was really disappointed.

TOTALLY surprising, especially as you're in Vancouver--do we Ontarians have it wrong about the tree-hugging, pot smoking, shroom loving hippies out west?

Quote Healthy View Post
    Last night I took a pretty intense class and when I got home, I actually felt nauseated and dizzy. I went straight to bed without dinner (and I usually have a healthy appetite).
    Is this normal? Will I eventually adopt to the intensity of the class?
    Healthy, I"m sorry the other night was so intense! That's weird you felt so bad afterwards. Is this the same night you did the bikram hot yoga? I think I remember someone posting that they were going to hot yoga on the boards. I absolutely know the heat would make me dizzy.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Hey Ella,

That particular night I spoke of turned out to be my absolute favorite yoga class and I shall continue going to her

The Bikram yoga (hot yoga) I didn't like as much. I felt great afterwards, but the poses were boring ... no backbends, no headstands ... it was just simple yoga exercises done in intense heat, which made me dizzy, and I accepted it, that wasn't the problem because I expected it ... I just felt like it was more gym-oriented than yoga-oriented ... not was I was looking for, but it's definitely great for a lot of people