Thread: General Tso's

Default General Tso's

I know this is a pretty tried and true formula, but a friend and I whipped up a batch of this yesterday and good grief! We were really happy with the consistency of the sauce and how it worked with the tofu itself (though the rice was a bit mushier then usual). I'm stoked that we have leftovers

anyone else into this particular dish?

Default Re: General Tso's

Mmmm...do you have the recipe?
    tabbouleh-bouleh

There's a very good recipe (the vegweb one) here
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

You need to freeze one block of tofu (vacuum sealed, silken tofu works best) and let it thaw several hours before yr about to cook it. Once it's thawed, press all of the water out of it so that it can absorb everything.

Once yr done with that, cut the tofu into 1/2 inch squares and bread them in some cornstarch powder. Then stirfry until brown.

As for the Tso's sauce - I'm not going to give you exact amounts on each ingredient, simply because I never actually follow those kind of directions to the letter - just mix and match the ingredients until you find a taste that pleases you:

Soy sauce, ginger (if you don't have it fresh, powder will do just fine), garlic (I like freshwater myself, not a big fan of cloves b/c I don't like having to chop it up - but if you don't those, again powder will do just fine), a bit of chili powder and sugar (I used brown, I stay away from the white at all costs, but that's an item that's got a whole spectrum of debate amongst other vegans). Blend all of these elements until you find a taste you like and then take 4 tsps of cornstarch and mix them w/water and then put the mixture into yr sauce while mixing it in steadily. After a few minutes it should thicken up and then you can just mix it in with yr tofu and veggies.

Voila!

or something like that...