Thread: Vegan eating in San Francisco ?

Default Vegan eating in San Francisco ?

Hi there

Anyone recommend suitable places to eat ? I will be visiting there next April

Thanks in advance.

Deb

P.S cant wait to go.

Default Re: Vegan eating in San Francisco ?

If you want a really nice dinner and are ready to pay for it, I highly recommend Millenium. It was the best meal I've ever had.

I've heard great things about Maggie Mudd's vegan desserts.

Have a fantastic time!

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

San Francisco and the Bay Area are absolutely teeeeeeeming with Vegan and veggie eateries!! I spent an extended vacation there in '06, I'll post a list of places just as soon as I can (I have a leaflet which lists them all, y'see).

Do you know which district/s you'll be based in whilst there?
    ~ United we stand..Divided we fall ~

Unreal! I'll be interested in this thread too We're planning on spending 2 weeks there in early September.

We're just in the process of looking for a vacation rental right now, so not sure what district/suburb we'll be staying in yet.

There looks to be some nice places around Beuna Vista (sp) though.

really recommend herbivore, which is down near haight/castro i think. also, there's a great place out by the beach, but i can't remember what it was called. will check if anyone thinks they're likely to be out that far.

also, there's a fab veggie chinese place in china town, that's dead cheap. will also find out the name of that place

although i was under the impression that san fran was THE veggie place, i found it a bit hard to find places until i made some vegan friends...

EDIT - sorry, herbivore is in mission, and there's another apparently in the western addition. the vegan chinese place i was talking about is in chinatown on washington street and is called 'lucky creation'.

also, if you're out in haight, there's a cafe called 'people's cafe', which has some cool vegan things on the menu, due to vegan staff pushing for it

amanda

I went to SF around 2 years ago and it is the most vegan friendly place I have ever been. There is a fabulous raw vegan restaurant - I think it is called ALIVE??? I will double check though coz it was long ago, but it was the most delicious meal I have ever had

Just about everyone understands the terminology "vegan" except for the people at Burger King lol The only veg restaurant I went to was the raw one - every where else I was accomidated for very well. I starved throughout the rest of the America trip where there wasn't a wholefoods store Lucky I stocked upin SF

On the wharf there is a sourdough bakery and they served a scrumptious vegan pumpkin soup in a sourdough roll bowl. it was enormous, but it was so yummy that I scoffed the whole thing.

I would go back to SF just to eat, but I would come back fat lol

Here is a link to ALIVE! restaurant in SF. Oh and in SF, go and see the Full House House

I second People's Cafe! It was a nice place for a delicious lunch. Also, on or right near Castro street is a Burmese resturant (I think it's called Nirvana). That was very good--not vegan, but it had lots of vegan options.

I had no trouble eating in SF. Aside from the veggie places, there are lots of Thai and Chinese places that have tasty options.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

http://www.bayareaveg.org/ug/

they have this...http://www.bayareaveg.org/finder.htm

where you can put in your address and search in a radius for vege, vegan or friendly restaurants... the list looks pretty complete to me
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Thanks Everyone! Very Helpful. This Saturday I plan to sit down and have a serious look at accommodation.

you are such a planner, roxy!

almost a year in advance?!?!

im going to frisco for three nights next week and i still havent thought about where im staying!!!!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

As a resident, there're a bunch of places I can whole-heartedly recommend:

Ananda Fuara (9th and Market St) - Vegetarian restaurant with 1/2 of the menu vegan or easily ordered thus. Has award-winning vegan cakes. Try the hummus and chapati appetizer.
    Pizza Plaza (Cortland Ave in Oakland) - It's a bit out of the way, but it's 100% meatless and they love to cater to vegans. Great pizza, bad calzones. Sometimes carries vegan cheesecake.
    Millennium (Geary and Jones) - 100% vegan and upscale. I can't pronounce a thing on the menu, but it's all delicious. You can look to pay $50-$60 per person, though.
    Maggie Mudd Ice Cream (Cortland ave in Bernal Heights neighborhood) - An ice cream parlor where 1/2 of the menu is comprised of vegan ice cream. You can get vegan whipped cream, cones, and other toppings, too! Try the Tarmack flavor! Mint is also good.
    Herbivore (Haight and Divisidero, 22nd and Valencia [two locations]) - Good food at reasonable prices. I highly recommend the portabello sandwich, the chocolate shakes, and the mac and "cheeze".
    Rainbow Grocery (13th and Folsom) - There a vegetarian co-op in SF, too. They carry tons of vegan goodies, including vegan chocolate bars! (Rice milk chocolate! WHOO!)
    Naan 'n Curry (Eddy and Van Ness, 9th and Judah [approximately], O'Farrell and Taylor [three locations]) - Not much of the menu is vegan or even vegetarian, but what is is delicious! Cheap eats, too. Samosas, onion naan, and garbanzo bean curry are all great.
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

Oh! Also, my husband works the night desk at a hotel on 7th and Mission Street. It's not high-class, but it's clean and decent. If you want the hotel info and when to call, I can give that to you.
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

Quote jjdaiquiri View Post
    you are such a planner, roxy!

almost a year in advance?!?!

im going to frisco for three nights next week and i still havent thought about where im staying!!!!
    We are using Aeroplan miles to fly, so we basically have to book it this far in advance. But I love planning vacations, so it's all good

Thanks Mila! It's nice to know what's been tried and tested

San Francisco is the best place ever for vegans to blow money on food.

A few forgotten treats:
    Cha-Ya
    762 Valencia St @ 18th

and this one vegan chinese place in china town... dammit. I don't have their address but I know how to get there by sight! It's SOOOOO good.
    context is everything

I just remembered!

Lucky Creation Vegetarian
    854 Washington

Go to both.
    context is everything

I keep forgetting places!

One more:
    http://maggiemudd.com/index.asp

Maggies Mudd sells excellent vegan ice cream.
    http://maggiemudd.com/freestyle/

903 Cortland Ave. between Folsom and Gates
    San Francisco, CA 94110
    Tel: 415.641.5291
    Email: info@maggiemudd.com

Hours
    Mon-Thu: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm
    Friday 3:00 pm-11:00pm
    Sat: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
    Sun: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm
    context is everything

Wow! such a lot of places .

I dont know which part will be staying but know it will be at the Grand Hyatt hotel and am really looking forward to going next April. Knowing there will be plenty of vegan eating places is even better.

Thanks for sharing. xx

Quote xrodolfox View Post
    I just remembered!

Lucky Creation Vegetarian
    854 Washington

Go to both.
    i remembered it first! lol i loved that place...so much food for $5. in fact, everywhere in america seems to me so much food for $5. it got to the point where if a dish was more than $6, i felt like i was being ripped off! crazy when you think that even the cheapy student pizza place near me is $6 for the cheapest margarita....(although, their artichoke one is only £4, and they dont' look at me funny when i ask for no cheese, AND they give me extra chilli )

amanda

Quote Roxy View Post
    Unreal! I'll be interested in this thread too We're planning on spending 2 weeks there in early September.
    Wow - do you have your dates sorted yet Roxy? I am in the process of booking a holiday to the US for September and will be in San Francisco from about 16th September to 20th September. (I am going to Kauai, Hawaii first of all, then heading to Napa Valley, then Yosemite NP before spending the last few days in San Francisco. I am so excited!!!! I am so happy to have found this thread too - San Francisco sounds really vegan friendly!!! Yay!
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

this could turn out to be a meet up and a half. I'm waiting for the OK on dates from work but it's around the same time as you folks.

Fantastic Vegcurry! Where are you from btw?
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Quote Holly78 View Post
    Fantastic Vegcurry! Where are you from btw?
    I'm from the Midlands but I live in the ancient and mystical land of Kernow ... aka Cornwall, UK.

Hi Holly We're going to be there from September 8 until September 22.

We could potentially have a meet up here of you, me, Vegcurry and JJdaquari. And of course, anyone else who wants to join us!

that sounds great - you lucky folks! i'd love to visit San Francisco but i don't think my once-in-a-lifetime trip to the States next year can accommodate it.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I'm crossing my fingers you'll be coming up to Vancouver

Quote Roxy View Post
    Hi Holly We're going to be there from September 8 until September 22.

We could potentially have a meet up here of you, me, Vegcurry and JJdaquari. And of course, anyone else who wants to join us!
    I would really like that! Vegcurry - have you booked your flights yet? Is JJdaquari from San Francisco or also a visitor?

Quote Roxy View Post
    I'm crossing my fingers you'll be coming up to Vancouver
    you bet i will

there are just too many places i want to visit and not enough time, or money! San Francisco sounds like a lot of fun.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Holly78 View Post
    I would really like that! Vegcurry - have you booked your flights yet? Is JJdaquari from San Francisco or also a visitor?

JJ lives in another town a couple of hours drive from San Francisco. She goes there often and knows the city quite well I think.

Vegcurry! Book that flight!

Hi all, I will be in San Francisco next week. Does anyone familiar with the area have any favorites? This thread is a little old so was thinking people may have some new suggestions. Thanks!

Oh, and we already have reservations for Millenium...
    tabbouleh-bouleh

I'll be visiting San Francisco in a few weeks! I'm soo looking forward to this. Was wondering if there is a vegan clothing/shoe shop over there? Or in Oakland or Berkeley perhaps...

Quote Crittercrazy View Post
    Hi there

Anyone recommend suitable places to eat ? I will be visiting there next April

Thanks in advance.

Deb

P.S cant wait to go.
    I lived in SF for over 16 years. Here is my top list...

MILLENNIUM - In the theater district near Union Square. Upscale not to miss vegan deliciousness. A little pricey but sooo worth it. Splurge and get the chef's tasting menu.

GRACIAS MADRE - In the Mission District. Do NOT miss out on this new restaurant. Mexican vegan yumminess. Expect a wait but they'll call your cell when your food it ready. I guarantee you've never tasted Mexican food like this. Delicious!

SOURCE - In the design district. Yummy vegan comfort food. Expect to gain a few pounds.

HERBIVORE - In the Mission District also in East Bay. Yummy standard American Fusion food. Good for lunch.

CHA YA - In the Mission District also in East Bay. Vegan Japanese Food. Really good.

CAFE GRATITUDE - Raw food done really well.

THE PLANT CAFE - various locations around SF. Not all vegan but fresh, organic and delicious dishes.

In the East Bay not to miss...

SOULY VEGAN - Near Jack London Square. Vegan Soul Food like you've never tasted before. Amazing!

CINNAHOLIC - In Berkeley. Vegan cinnamon roll bar. Choose your toppings. yummy!

ENCUENTRO CAFE AND WINE BAR - Near Jack London Square. Really, really good.

TIMELESS COFFEE - Piedmont Avenue in Oakland. Brand new all vegan coffee shop with yummy pastries.