Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Powerful vegan/vegetarian statements

Default Re: Powerful vegan/vegetarian statements

Does anyone know which Plutarch excerpt/book the first quote comes from?

Veggie Vixen!

"You are what you eat!"
    Do you want to be a tortured, humiliated, depraved of joy...corpse?

...I'm happy being a blown-in-the-breeze, nurtured by sun and water, maybe from the tropics, maybe from just down the road. Vegetable, or fruit, or grain.

PS: Yes I know there are still ethics regarding pesticides and chemicals, and how plants are produced, I'd like the think that eventually I'll be all organic

"Surely, if slaughterhouses had glass walls, would not all of us be vegetarians? But slaughterhouses do not have glass walls. The architecture of a slaughterhouse is opaque, designed in the interest of denial, to ensure that we will not see even if we look. And who wants to look?"

Kimberlily1983

Quote Yaksongs View Post
    I just thought of something - what if the rabbit eats the apple first & the baby gets cross? oh dear this is all going south - eheh

What about making it a mango? - No, not an Apple & a Mango silly...

Haha, indeed, if it was one of my house rabbits they would go mad for that apple, and it would disappear very quickly! (Hope someone remembered to take out the seeds!) Unfortunately, a mango wouldn't work either - they love these as well! I'm not sure there's any kind of fruit you could give a bunny that would not interest him/her, in fact.

Oh, dear, looks like this baby experiment is doomed right from the start.

Kimberlily1983

Great quotes, VenomousX!

Hi guys and galls,
    jsut a quickie. New to forum, send email earlier today and realised just now after comming back on that i accidentially clicked on the "Politics thread" as i was intreeged at the head "i thought i was an idiot...." I spend half my life saying that so it jumped out at me and was begging to be clicked on. I quickly took a nose dive out of that one as politics really isnt my thing........ (no im not an airhead, just not very political although i suppose we should be to make changes.... afraid i'll have to leave that to all the intellegent folk out there and just poodle along doing what i do best.)

Just a couple of quotes i though were bang on, (they all were but a couple of simple ones stood out for me)
    Torio- you are what you eat. -do you want to be a tortured, humiliated deprived of joy corpse.

Nadia -slaughter houses being Opaque and
    Von stardust - i love animals, -thats my kind of language, straight and simple.

All interesting stuff and its awesome to know there are other like minded super folk out there. I dont personaly know any other vegans in my circle and its demorolizingly crap knowing most of the world dont give a toss......

Three cheers for the lovely people!! ) .......spread the word!

Welcome Rachel!

This is a little similar to VeganLu's 'Why If you love animals called pets, why do you eat animals called dinner?', but I just bought a cool magnet from Animal Rights Merchandise (via Vegan Essentials) that had a cat, dog, cow & pig pictured saying 'Why love one and eat the other?' so I put my status on facebook as:

Cat. Pig. Dog. Cow. Gerbil. Chicken. Why love one and kill/eat the other?

I think actually naming them and mixing them might make others think more. (Or maybe not, lol).

cheers m'dears. yes thats a good 'un. Thats always been my arguement. People are alwasy saying they are "animal lovers " but its all bull' cus like you said, what is the difference between a cow and a dog??? They both have 4legs a tail, two eyes, two ears and a nose,etc. Most of us have stood in a feild and looked at cows or sheep at some point. How can you look deep into that animals eyes and not give a shit. Even if you are one of these people who pleeds ignorance to the facts, you cant look into that annimals big eyes and not give a toss unless you are a certain type of person. We have all met so many people who cry buckets over the loss of their dog when it has been put to sleep (humanely!) but the fact that their dinner has suffered from intollerable suffering for many weeks/months/years doesnt seem to register or matter. Where is the hypocrisy in that??!!! Just like yaksongs said about the radio 4 interview, there seems to a an alomost blanket ban on exposing this awfull industry but money and mans greed is more important.

Someone had their small child abducted a couple of years ago (i wont name them as i dont want to offend or upest anyone as it truely is awfull and ongoing) It was all over the news and there was an out pouring of disbelief, anger and upset ,etc but we are doing it thousands and thousands of times a week to these poor cows and goats,etc but its ok to rip a terrified few day old baby from its mother and send it to europe and beyond for veal. I dont think the average person can use the excuss of ignorance in this day an age. Ooohhh!!

''It takes a small person to beat an animal to death but it takes an even smaller one to eat them!'' - Peta

I already posted this one elsewhere. It's from the Essene Gospel of Peace ...

"It was said to them of old time, 'Honor thy Heavenly Father and thy Earthly Mother, and do their commandments, that thy days may be long upon the earth.' And next afterward was given this commandment, 'Thou shalt not kill,' for life is given to all by God, and that which God has given, let not man take away. For-I tell you truly, from one Mother proceeds all that lives upon the earth. Therefore, he who kills, kills his brother. And from him will the Earthly Mother turn away, and will pluck from him her quickening breasts. And he will be shunned by her angels, and Satan will have his dwelling in his body. And the flesh of slain beasts in his body will become his own tomb. For I tell you truly, he who kills, kills himself, and whoso eats the flesh of slain beasts, eats of the body of death. For in his blood every drop of their blood turns to poison; in his breath their breath to stink; in his flesh their flesh to boils; in his bones their bones to chalk; in his bowels their bowels t o decay; in his eyes their eyes to scales; in his ears their ears to waxy issue. And their death will become his death. For only in the service of your Heavenly Father are your debts of seven years forgiven in seven clays. But Satan forgives you nothing and you must pay him for all. 'Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot; burning for burning, wound for wound; life for life, death for death.' For the wages of sin is death. Kill not, neither eat the flesh of your innocent prey, lest you become the slaves of Satan. For that is the path of sufferings, and it leads unto death. But do the will of God, that his angels may serve you on the way of life. Obey, therefore, the words of God: 'Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to everything that creepeth upon th e earth, wherein there is breath of life, I give every green herb for meat. Also the milk of every thing that moveth and liveth upon earth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given unto them, so I give their milk unto you. But flesh, and the blood which quickens it, shall ye not eat. And, surely, your spurting blood will I require, your blood wherein is your soul; I will require all slain beasts, and the souls of all slain men. For I the Lord thy God am a God strong and jealous, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; and showing mercy unto thousands -of them that love me, and keep my commandments. Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength: this is the first and greatest commandment.' And the second is like unto it: 'Love thy neighbor as thyself' There is none other commandment greater than these."
    All done in the best possible taste ...

I like the one in my signature.
    Poor animals !
    How jealously they guard their pathetic bodies.... that which to us is merely an evening's meal, but to them is life itself.

Quote nadia View Post
    "Surely, if slaughterhouses had glass walls, would not all of us be vegetarians? But slaughterhouses do not have glass walls. The architecture of a slaughterhouse is opaque, designed in the interest of denial, to ensure that we will not see even if we look. And who wants to look?"
    Little story related, albeit very loosely, to that one ..

A few moons back the company I was working for had a sales enquiry from an abortoir. I refused to go (on the entirely reasonable basis that if I did we definitely wouldnt be getting the business after I had told them exactly what I thought) so they sent one of the big tough <ahem> meat-eater salesmen instead.

When he came back he was far from right. No one knew why but he was obviously waiting to get me on own. Later he and I were alone and I asked him what the matter was. Clearly still 'spooked' he said "you know you say that you get an overwhelming sense of death and terror if you go near certain places?"

Turned out that he had been left all alone in the slaughter room for five minutes or so during his call.

In a very quiet voice Mr 'Pull out it's horns and wipe it's ass waiter please' told me that whilst alone in that place a 'feeling' had overwhelmed him and he had suffered a panic attack.

Strangely though the saying isn't true. Slaughter houses do have glass walls to those who work in them and the idea that they are therefore staffed entirely by vegetarians obviously isn't right.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Can somebody give me a hand here. I showed my mother some of those bible passages and she lead me to this:

God tried Abraham's faith by asking him to sacrifice his son, Isaac (according to Judeo-Christian theology; Muslims believe Abraham was told to sacrifice his oldest son, Ishmael). This was significant for two reasons. If Abraham's son died there would be no heir to inherit the land God promised Abraham. If Abraham sacrificed his son, Abraham must believe in the resurrection of the dead. Once God saw that Abraham was serious (He was driving the knife towards his son) God intervended and pointed out a ram for Abraham to sacrifice.

What now?

Quote Back-Space View Post
    Can somebody give me a hand here. I showed my mother some of those bible passages and she lead me to this:

God tried Abraham's faith by asking him to sacrifice his son, Isaac (according to Judeo-Christian theology; Muslims believe Abraham was told to sacrifice his oldest son, Ishmael). This was significant for two reasons. If Abraham's son died there would be no heir to inherit the land God promised Abraham. If Abraham sacrificed his son, Abraham must believe in the resurrection of the dead. Once God saw that Abraham was serious (He was driving the knife towards his son) God intervended and pointed out a ram for Abraham to sacrifice.

What now?
    Jesus died for all our sins, that was the last sacrifice needed.
    Poor animals !
    How jealously they guard their pathetic bodies.... that which to us is merely an evening's meal, but to them is life itself.

So how would I reply to something like that? If God gave a commandment that we will not kill, why would he ask someone to do so?
    And she just yelled down to me "Jesus was a fisherman." I should just stick with ethics. I haven't researched much into religion.

Quote Back-Space View Post
    So how would I reply to something like that? If God gave a commandment that we will not kill, why would he ask someone to do so?
    And she just yelled down to me "Jesus was a fisherman." I should just stick with ethics. I haven't researched much into religion.
    I am reading this.

and just got these

When I'm done with them I'll get back to you.

Just remember that the bible is 2000 years old and they didn't have factory farming back then and ask her if she thinks God meant for the creatures he created to suffer every second of their lives just so we can be fat and sickly.
    Poor animals !

New International Version (©1984)
    Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.
    New Living Translation (©2007)
    Then God said, "Look! I have given you every seed-bearing plant throughout the earth and all the fruit trees for your food.
    English Standard Version (©2001)
    And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food.
    New American Standard Bible (©1995)
    Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you;
    GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
    God said, "I have given you every plant with seeds on the face of the earth and every tree that has fruit with seeds. This will be your food.
    King James Bible
    And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
    American King James Version
    And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
    American Standard Version
    And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb yielding seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for food:
    Bible in Basic English
    And God said, See, I have given you every plant producing seed, on the face of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit producing seed: they will be for your food:
    Douay-Rheims Bible
    And God said: Behold I have given you every herb bearing seed upon the earth, and all trees that have in themselves seed of their own kind, to be your meat:
    Darby Bible Translation
    And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb producing seed that is on the whole earth, and every tree in which is the fruit of a tree producing seed: it shall be food for you;
    English Revised Version
    And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb yielding seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat:
    Webster's Bible Translation
    And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for food. World English Bible
    God said, "Behold, I have given you every herb yielding seed, which is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree, which bears fruit yielding seed. It will be your food. Young's Literal Translation
    And God saith, 'Lo, I have given to you every herb sowing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree in which is the fruit of a tree sowing seed, to you it is for food;
    Poor animals !

Book of Genesis. That was one of the few things I looked into. But I don't know enough to hold my ground against someone who knows more. I'll stick with the ethical and health aspect of veganism since it's hard for people to turn it around on me.

God is LOVE...............isn't He?
    What 'love' is there in killing animals?
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Yeah, but I never heard the story of Abraham. I didn't know how to respond to that. There's really no arguing with my parents... They don't take me talking down to them very well.

But you aren't 'talking down to them' you're just putting your view across!

Me disagreeing with them is the equivalent

That's just parents for you!

Yeah Oh well... Moving out west in a couple of days. I'll be able to have a kitchen with nothing but my food