Thread: Veg*an Counter

Lightbulb Veg*an Counter

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...23&postcount=4

I liked emzy's idea there, about a vegan counter, and am now working on it. It's not yet finished, but you can take a look at it here: http://nazoo.chronoz.name/~luka/.

While you can already try registering, this is just a test site, and once finished all the counts will be deleted, so you'll have to register again.

If anyone wants to take a look at the code, or maybe even help with it, PM me.

Comments, suggestions?

Good sperm

Default Re: Veg*an Counter

Done

that's a great idea. is it only for UK vegans or for everyone?

one comment...is there going to be a way to prevent duplicate entries?
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Stu

So what's this all about then?

Quote DancingWillow
    that's a great idea. is it only for UK vegans or for everyone?
    It's for everyone.

Quote DancingWillow
    one comment...is there going to be a way to prevent duplicate entries?
    Duplicate how? Email must be unique, and will require confirmation when finished, to prevent any automated spaming, but names cant be unique because there might be conflict...

Quote Stu View Post
    So what's this all about then?
    Well, take a look. Vegans and vegetarians will register and provide some info, like where theyre from, how old they are,... Then we will be able to get the number of vegans and vegetarians, what countries, or cities have the highest number of them, and all kinds of interesting information.

oh, i see...you're using email for confirmation. i thought you just had to type in your name and i thought that, forgetful as i can be sometimes, i may type in my name now and then forget that i did it, and type it in months from now when i come across the website again.

will you tell us when you've posted real version (as far as i understand, this is a test version)?
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Quote DancingWillow View Post
    will you tell us when you've posted real version (as far as i understand, this is a test version)?
    I'll post here when it's done. Just have to make a search function, and buy a domain now.

The website doesn't really have a name yet. Any suggestions?

Vegans take over the world
    ~John Wooden

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

done

Wait, whats with the "done"'s? Don't register yet. Well, you can, but it will be deleted once the site is finished.

Quote DancingWillow
    Vegans take over the world
    It's for vegetarians too.

o i registered coz i thought u wanted people too as a tester...sorry

Quote yum View Post
    o i registered coz i thought u wanted people too as a tester...sorry
    Oh, yes, testing would be great. Carry on.

i'm 'done' now

What's to stop multiple registrations? Unless you have some sort of protection (such as image verification) then I'm pretty sure I could script up a bot to submit a few hundred thousand requests.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    What's to stop multiple registrations? Unless you have some sort of protection (such as image verification) then I'm pretty sure I could script up a bot to submit a few hundred thousand requests.
    There will be email confirmation. You could still do multiple registrations, but they would never get confirmed, and after some time automatically purged.

Stu

Quote Luka View Post
    Vegans and vegetarians will register and provide some info, like where theyre from, how old they are,... Then we will be able to get the number of vegans and vegetarians, what countries, or cities have the highest number of them, and all kinds of interesting information.
    Nah. You certainly won't get the number of vegans or vegetarians. In fact, you won't get any valid information at all. You could get a vague idea of ratios, but even then, you've no way of knowing how accurate it is.

It doesn't stop it being fun though.

Quote Stu View Post
    Nah. You certainly won't get the number of vegans or vegetarians. In fact, you won't get any valid information at all. You could get a vague idea of ratios, but even then, you've no way of knowing how accurate it is.

It doesn't stop it being fun though.
    Well, of course not the exact numbers. But possibly enough to provide some fairly accurate statistics.

Quote Luka View Post
    Well, of course not the exact numbers. But possibly enough to provide some fairly accurate statistics.
    Interesting but not accurate - not all vegans surf and certainly not all veggies as it is pretty much mainstream in a lot of places to be veggie. So all you will get is an idea of which veggies or vegans stumbled across your site but even then unless you also know how many omnes stumbled across it too you won't get an idea of comparative ratios.

Fun though.
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

Hi Luka! Sorry I haven't been in touch recently! I see the counter is going well. When is the site going to be finished?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Hey Luka,

When do you think the final version of the vegan counter website will be up?
    Check out the Toronto Vegetarian Podcast at veg.ca/tvp !