Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Heart of England Vegan Festival 2005

Default Re: Veganforum meetup @ Heart of England Vegan Festival 2005

It seems like an age ago that I started this thread, but theres only 34, yep thats right, 34 days to go .

I'm really looking forward to it. See you's all there.

*Skips off to book train ticket*.

Well after such a good time at the Cardiff Viva Roadshow, I'm definately going to make it to the Heart of England Vegan Festival. An excuse to spend my well earned money now I'm working again. And of course a chance to meet some more of you lovely VF people! It looks like it's going to be fantastic
    "He who binds himself to a Joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    He who kisses the Joy as it flies, Lives in Eternity's sunrise"
    William Blake

Quote RockyRaccoon
    I'm definately going to make it to the Heart of England Vegan Festival.
    That deserves a Briiiiilllllllliiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnntttttt!

Quote gertvegan
    It seems like an age ago that I started this thread, but theres only 34, yep thats right, 34 days to go .

I'm really looking forward to it. See you's all there.

*Skips off to book train ticket*.
    I have a funny picture in my head of you skipping now!

Made arrangements for a mate to come with me, were both looking forward to it. Im off to the Carling on Wednesday to see Moby

Default Re: Veganforum meetup @ Heart of England Vegan Festival 2005?

We have an interview up on the festival website with Joan Dunayer, our keynote speaker. Should be interesting reading! Also, we will have mp3's up by the end of the day of her talking on the radio. A very compassionate, articulate and intelligent woman. She got into animal rights because as a psychology student she was given ten rats to experiment on.

After a while of trying to teach them "research tasks" she was told to kill them. She realised that she couldn't, so she brought them home with her, and her description of the rats delight at their freedom brought tears to my eyes. One of them turned a somersault with glee when he first tasted canteloupe, having eaten nothing but pellets all his life. She is well worth coming to see and to talk to. She is now a fervent vegan advocate, and one of the most prominent voices in the animal rights movement in America. A very good writer and speaker, and she is keen to hear what UK activists have to say as well. She is planning an interactive talk, so come along and help!

www.veganfestivals.org.uk

If you go onto www.magpiehouse.org.uk you will find pictures of two books that are being launched to co-incide with the festival. One of them is a book that I wish had been around when I first went vegan! "Compassionate Kids: Raising Children the Vegan Way" by Helen Hewitt and Jacquelyne Edwards, which is exactly what it says. Recipes, nutritional advice, parents stories, suggestions on how to deal with common problems, immunisation, nappies - and my favourite chapter of all, in the Kids own words. Helen organised a party for vegan kids, and a lot of the book is informed by their feelings and experiences, which makes the book unique in my experience.

Also, Bully, which is my third picture book for kids, which Steve Hutton has illustrated again. Steve is a fantastic artist, and you can see a previous book we did together on www.artists4animals.org.uk

It's getting good!

Mary, whats this about a Guardian reporter having been in touch and interested in attending the festival ??

Well, I had a reporter from the Guardian on the phone to me for half an hour today, interested in interviewing Dunayer, and possibly attending her talk at the festival, time permitting - but you know what the press are like. He may be interested, but it is all deadlines, and what can get past editorial demands that day. I am hopeful, but not yet certain. Basically, I will believe it when I see it in print! Though he is a good journalist.

Kevster

I've read The Mothercage, published by Magpie House and can highly recommend it, a very enjoyable read.

The Guardian do have the odd good reporter i guess, some of their writers who do the comments and analysis are sometimes pretty good (Martin Jacques in particular). But with the media it can be pretty hit or miss. You can never tell what angle they'll take. Whether it'll be 'fair' and 'balanced', and whether they actually understand the issues at hand. As far as the mainstream media is concerned up until now veganism hasn't got the attention or the balanced objective analysis it deserves, perhaps in part because they're reporting on issues they themselves are not in agreement with, and whether they think the stories will sell papers or turn off the readership.

I know nobody knows me yet, but I will be there!!

Yet more stuff to update on folks. We have green arm bands with the word "Vegan" proudly emblazoned on them to sell at the festival, so you can wear your "vegan heart" on your sleeve. (We checked, the rubber is vegan!)

We also have large vegan magnets for sale, which can be stuck, well - anywhere! Cars, filing cabinets, fridges etc. I will be posting links to pictures of this stuff later.

And also, tins of vegan mints, with Mike's kindly donated art work on the front of it, advertising the soon to be completed vegan buddy website. (I am trying to work Neil to death, wicked woman that I am!)

And finally, a vegan mother and son are walking from Manchester, where we held our festival last year, to Birmingham where we are holding it this year, stopping off and talking to the press along the way. When they turn up at the festival I think they will deserve a HUGE BIG round of applause!

Quote Realfood Mary
    We have also got two fantastic designs by Mike Wieringo who has illustrated the Spider Man comics, and helped design the costumes etc on the film - he's a vegan. Just wait till you see them. A vegan superhero guy, and Brocolli man. Hysterical and very funny. Superhero guy is going to be on a tin of sweets we will be selling, and there is a fair chance that one day it will be a highly sought after collectable.

You can eat the mints though, no harm in that!

Be posting those pics soon too.
    Will there also be t-shirts Mary, available at the Heart of England Vegan Festival, or is this a future project for Realfood & Vegan buddies ??

Yes, there will be teeshirts, and hopefully mugs available too - you can order them as well on the day if we don't have teeshirts in the style that you want.

Check out www.realfood.org.uk and go onto our teeshirt page to see our catalogue. We haven't updated Mike's designs yet (there are only 24 hours in a day!) but they should be up this weekend. And our "Vegan Power" Rosie design (woman flexing her muscle) as well as "We're hating it" (my son's design) are both very popular.

[FONT=Arial]I have posted this in general chat as well, to ensure that people see it, but here it is again. Important question you guys! And feel free to forward this on to other forums as well, where people might be able to help.

Are any of you media students, and if so are you likely to be in Birmingham on the 18th of June for the Heart of England Vegan Festival? I have found an animal rights radio station that would put up an mp3 of an audio documentary, and this would be a great way to get some course work done, promote veganism, and show case your work to a wider audience.

If anyone is in a position to help on this one, then email me at mary@realfood.org.uk and let me know. We can discuss what kind of format etc you will be doing, length of documentary, presentation etc. We will already have some press there, but it would be nice to have a vegan do a documentary that is unbiassed!

I know that out there somewhere is a budding radio journalist. Go ahead and let us know. Any other kind of media student as well, let us know if you can benefit from our festival.

Karin Ridgers from Veggie Vision will be able to put up a visual documentary as well, so film makers are also welcome to apply.

I'm not counting down the days or anything of course, but but but theres only 25 days to go.

AAAAAAARGHHH!!!!

A friend is translating the leaflet into Chinese. Anyone able to distribute it around Chinese areas of the Midlands, particularly Birmingham?

I will gladly do leafletting in Birmingham the Saturday after this one, though I'd prefer to hand out mainly English ones, because, well I'd feel pretty daft giving someone a Chinese leaflet just because they appeared Asian, only to find out that they're actually English!

I'll even wear my Bristol Vegan Fayre t-shirt that arrived this morning from Gertvegan =)

I always feel quite flattered when someone down the Arcadian gives me a leaflet in characters - although that could be because I'm European in appearance, and assume it means they think I might be able to read it as a second language!

As it is, I only know about 20 characters (including "gold" and "horse"!), which is not really enough for a working vocabulary - oh, and I pronounce them in Japanese!

Quote miss_laura
    I will gladly do leafletting in Birmingham the Saturday after this one, though I'd prefer to hand out mainly English ones, because, well I'd feel pretty daft giving someone a Chinese leaflet just because they appeared Asian, only to find out that they're actually English!

I'll even wear my Bristol Vegan Fayre t-shirt that arrived this morning from Gertvegan =)
    Excellent, thank you. I don't expect people to hand out the foreign language leaflets to people just because they "look foriegn!" I was thinking if you knew of Chinese owned supermarkets, centres etc. Also, every library has a Chinese language section. If you could stick some leaflets up there, or in doctors surgeries, etc?

I would advise you only to hand out the English one when leafletting blind.

Thank you very much! I will be leaving them at the One Earth Shop when they are done.

Mary

If you check the festival website below, and look at the merchandise, you will be able to see the vegan buddy guy design, and the brocolli guy design. We will be putting them on teeshirts, and Vegan Buddy Man on the tins of sweets.

If anyone wants to preorder teeshirts, drop me a pm, and I will tell you how to do it.

Mary

Quote Realfood Mary
    vegan buddy guy design, and the brocolli guy design. We will be putting them on teeshirts.
    They both look really good Mary, Mike Wieringo has done a top job.

Can't wait to get mine.

Posted first class yesterday. I was going to send them recorded delivery, then I realised that I didn't know if anyone would be in to collect them.

If they haven't turned up on Tuesday let me know.

I took extra care with the Vegan Buddy Hero. You'll see what I mean when you see him. Now I don't do that for everyone!

Mary

Mary, is there any transport being arranged to / from Oxford, or do you know of anyone heading to the Heart of England Vegan Festival from that way ??

Thankyou's

Puffin and I are travelling together, as we live quite close.
    Look forward to meeting everyone

Liz

Quote Kumem
    Puffin and I are travelling together, as we live quite close.
    Look forward to meeting everyone

Liz
    me to

Seventeen days.

Are you going to come and listen to Joan Dunayer? She is our keynote speaker, and is on from two o clock. Veggies are catering around the corner from her. She is signing her book later.

Mary

Quote Realfood Mary
    Anyone else want to go to Rooty Frooty after the Festival?
    Yess yess yess yess yess ......

Sixteen Days. Gulp.

tails4wagging

Default Re: Veganforum meetup @ Heart of England Vegan Festival June 18th 2005?

Not going to make it!!!. So overdrawn, I dare not risk it as I know I will spend loads!!!!.

Haven't been there (yet), haven't done it (yet), but have got the t-shirt. Will be wearing as much as poss.

We couldn't have a picture could we?

Mary

Kevster

Aye, come on Gert, stick up a picture.

Hello there, just a couple of questions about the fayre.

1. Is there actually a vegan forum meetup arranged? I.e. People from the forum meeting up at the festival.

2. Are people going to Rooty Fruity afterwards?

Thanks

Quote Glen
    Are people going to Rooty Fruity afterwards?
    I hope so! I want a celebratory meal once the festival is over.

Mmm. Food!

Mary

Quote Glen
    1. Is there actually a vegan forum meetup arranged? I.e. People from the forum meeting up at the festival.
    I hope so, that was the whole idea of the thread along with posting info about the fest itself.

The veganforum meet up isn't anything official just an idea to meet up, put usernames to faces, have a chat etc etc whether veganforumers have met before or not. But it should be especially good for anyone that hasn't met many or any other vegans before.

As previously mentioned by Mary, we could arrange to meet either by the main stage or the small stage upstairs, though people will be arriving and leaving at different times, some will be attending various talks, others filling their faces. Shall we say a time to meet up ?

Pm a few people and look to swap mobile numbers, then text them when you arrive, and Fannys your Uncle, Bobs your Aunt.

Quote Realfood Mary

Are you going to come and listen to Joan Dunayer? She is our keynote speaker, and is on from two o clock.

Mary
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but are there any times for anything else during the day? Only my friend is catching the train back to London that afternoon and we would hate to miss anything.

Suz

So far, Pat Reeves is the first speaker at about nine thirty. Then we have the karate yoga etc on twice each during the day. And Joan Court is on immediately after Joan Court, talking about her adventures on the Sea Shepherd this year (Joan Court is 85, and knew Mahatma Gandhi.)

I will post the full time table when I know exactly what it is.

Mary

cheers, thanks for letting us know, will be there bright and early

Quote Realfood Mary
    Joan Court is on immediately after Joan Court

Just found out I can make it! Its the day after my last exam so really looking forward to it - it will be my first vegan event!
    Can anyone tell me how to get there from Moor St Station?

Quote gertvegan
    Oh, I'm daft!!! Joan Court is on immediately after Joan Dunayer!!!
    Maybe I am working too hard. That one made me laugh!

Mary

Here is our press release, if anyone is interested.

Cat, we shall be putting directions up on the website in the next few days. I will let you know as soon as possible.

Mary

Veganism Comes to the Heart of England

This June sees Birmingham host the year’s most unusual, cheerful celebration of positive living. Yes, the vegan revolution is coming to the second capital of England, courtesy of Realfood, a Wolverhampton-based national vegan education organisation. The latest edition of New Scientist commented on the vegan phenomenon in the UK, observing that “there is a rush towards vegetarianism and veganism in the UK.” And when New Scientist notices a trend, it is usually spot on! The festival will take place at the Birmingham Carling Academy, Dale End on Saturday 18th June from 9:30 am to 5 pm. You are invited to come and interview speakers (especially our keynote speaker - see below), stallholders, or members of the public on why they are visiting the festival. Food reviewers may also be interested in the wide range of vegan foods on offer. There should be many photo and interview opportunities, affording the chance to witness vegan martial artists, bodybuilders, etc.

So if you are interested in finding out more about veganism, why not come to the Heart of England Vegan Festival?

* We have noted American author Joan Dunayer flying over to give the keynote address. As an ex-vivisector turned vegan, she will have plenty of insights into why people choose to reject cruelty. She is available for interview and will be signing copies of her groundbreaking books at the festival, including her most recent work, Speciesism.

* We also have Pat Reeves, from Kingswinford, a local champion, talking about nutrition. Pat developed cancer 16 years ago and was given 6 weeks to live. Through treating herself holistically and following a vegan diet, she not only survived; she went on to become the British female champion power-lifter in her age and class for over a decade! This year she retained her title and is still fighting fit.

* We have many other speakers and performers, covering all aspects of vegan living, from 85-year-old Joan Court, veteran campaigner for human and animal rights and colleague of Gandhi’s, who sailed out to save seals and whales with the Sea Shepherd earlier this year, to Rubber Richie, who is appearing in the next Harry Potter film. Richie will be performing his comedy brand of “extreme yoga” – something you have to see to believe. We also have vegan bodybuilders and the elite marathon runner Fiona Oakes, who as well as running an animal sanctuary is a retained firefighter and was the 30th woman over the line in this year’s London marathon – despite having broken ribs!

And, of course, there is the food. Come to watch cookery exhibitions, try free samples, or treat yourself to Caribbean vegan cuisine, sushi, lasagna, vegan cheeseburgers, or delicious cakes – which, being vegan, have no saturated fat or cholesterol in them!

If you want a full list of speakers, performers, stall holders, events, etc., then contact Mary Brady from Realfood for further information. Check also the festival website for the line-up www.veganfestivals.org.uk and other information about the festival.

If you wish to interview any of the performers, speakers, or writers at the festival or beforehand, then email mary@realfood.org.uk or phone 0845 458 0146.

*Sponsored by the Vegan Society, Redwood Foods, and the Cocoa Tree (chocolate company)*

Default please help!

Is there anyone going from leeds to 'the heart of england' festival? Because I am having difficulty getting transport information and need some help :-S (I already looked on megabus.com cos I got london for a pound last time ...but there's none going to birmingham)

Im also dragging my boyfriend along
    AND...(yer! makin progress)..I've persuaded him to never eat at McDonalds again
    (I had to--I cant ever bare to watch anyone I love eat from there after this PETA video I saw today.)
    Go me.

Default Re: please help!

Mary are there any banners available advertising the event, (something like your av but with the date on it) which we can use in our sigs on other boards? Or does any one have one I can borrow, cause I have bog all knowledge on how to make one.

Thanks

Suz

If you click on this link you will find Brendan's phone number.
    http://www.veganfestivals.org.uk/transportcontacts.htm

He has booked some tickets for a fiver from London to Birmingham.

Tickets are limited! You would be travelling up with Tom, our karate king.

Mary

Default Re: please help!

Quote Yam
    Mary are there any banners available advertising the event, (something like your av but with the date on it) which we can use in our sigs on other boards? Or does any one have one I can borrow, cause I have bog all knowledge on how to make one.

Thanks

Suz
    I'll ask Neil to explain it - cause I don't know!

Mary

10 days to go.

Quote Cat
    Just found out I can make it! Its the day after my last exam so really looking forward to it - it will be my first vegan event!
    Can anyone tell me how to get there from Moor St Station?
    After my exams too!
    If you could get to Snow Hill Station instead I could meet you there, I know how to get to the Academy from there. PM me if you like