Thread: Skiing, snowboarding and mountain-loving vegans - where to eat?

Default Skiing, snowboarding and mountain-loving vegans - where to eat?

Now we're booking a vegan skiing and snow-boarding trip for March 2009 - get in touch!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

We organise our own exclusively vegan ski holiday every year, run from the UK and holidaying in France, and invite lots of other veggies to join us for the week. That way we all get yummy food and no yukky animal stuff hanging round the chalet, plus great company, people to ski with and the chance to form life-long friendships.

In the process of booking as a group we raise funds for good vegan & eco causes without the holiday costing you any more than if you booked it yourself.

This year we've run to a 3rd chalet, so will have 32-38 people altogether. There are only a few places left, so get in touch if you are interested!

See:http://www.veggiesnow.org/next_trip

Default Re: Vegan skiing and snow boarding

wow that looks really cool. We're poor this year cos we're going to NYC in Macrh, but maybe another year?

Just send me a private message with your email address if you want to be on the Veggie Snow email list for first notice of future trips.

S x

I'm sooo excited and March is such a long way away...

aw darn, for a second i thought you were in the states...

too good to be true usually is...
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

This year's trip was fantastic with so much snow and cake, and just lovely people to ski and board with (1/3 boarders this year). I'm already looking into options for the 2009 trip (prob in France, maybe Austria), so if you have any ideas or want to be on the emailing list and aren't yet then send me a private message!

Oh My God!!!!! This sounds fantastic, i would definatley be interested in doing it next year, i'd love to go on a vegan ski trip!

Hey Joeybee just send me a private message with your email address and I'll add you to the veggie snow updates email list!

sophie - do you use exclusively vegan companies? i'm looking to work a ski season next year, but am wary of working as a normal chalet girl, because i'll be expected to cook meat, which i can't bear to do. there are other jobs, i know, and likely i'll end up just doing what i do here (cocktail bartender), but i've heard chalet-girling is good fun, so if there was a vegan-only company that you use, that would be awesome!

amanda

If there were vegan-only or even veggie-only chalets we wouldn't need to run these trips!

Chalet hosts can't easily get away from handling meat, unless perhaps you were in a very big one and were just given the veg prep job, though even then people are expected to muck in wherever is needed.

Bars & restaurants in France are now non-smoking so bar jobs must be more pleasant as a result. There's also childcare, massage, driving, shop work, management and repping - relevant qualifications usually required but possible to obtain. I hear nannies get paid well and get 2 days off so less stress than hosting. 2 years' training needed but a life time of opportunities ensue. look at a website like ski natives for more ideas.

I'm now booking the March 2009 trip - probably in Tignes France. They'll be the usual huge amount of vegan food being fed to you while you relax after a hard day in the snow.

And you can get there by train if you are anywhere in Europe. Direct fast trains from London St Pancras.

Tell me now if you're interested!

Default Where vegans eat/stay when skiing in France

Do you have any recommendations of places that cater well for vegans in France around the ski resorts?

Please tell me and I'll add them at:
    www.veggiesnow.org

It's so nice to find a vegan-friendly oasis in France and share it!

Default Re: Where vegans eat/stay when skiing in France

Quote SophieFP View Post
    Do you have any recommendations of places that cater well for vegans in France around the ski resorts?

Please tell me and I'll add them at:
    www.veggiesnow.org

It's so nice to find a vegan-friendly oasis in France and share it!
    Vegan in France????
    I was at a friends on Sat night and out the 7 of us there, 5 were French. I'd already eaten so didn't partake in their meal but obviously food was on the conversation and the concept of my veganism totally baffled them. Nice folk though!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Default Re: Where vegans eat/stay when skiing in France

We have a two bedroomed vegan bed and breakfast in a tiny pyreneen mountain village in south-west France. We have cross country skiing 20 mins drive from here, and a downhill ski resort about 30-40 mins drive (depending on the weather). Also, for snow lovers, there are plenty of snowshoe walks from the doorstep without even getting into the car. You can find us on www.veganholidayfrance.com Happy holidays!

Cool vegan skiing and snow boarding

want to go to the snow with fellow vegans and veggies? We're having a holiday in Spring and sharing it with like-minded people. Only one or two places left.
    Lovely high snow-sure resort at a time of year with long daylight hours and fewer people. Getting there by train from the UK. See:
    http://www.veggiesnow.org/events/1898.html
    x Sophie

Default Re: vegan skiing and snow boarding

I'm about a 9 hour drive from Whistler, BC, but we've got some amazing slopes here in Alberta too. Don't know how much boarding I'm going to get in this year, as a season pass is nearly $1000 I'll have to start saving for next year

Hey Back-Space that pass sounds so cheap compared to a French one!

Quote SophieFP View Post
    Hey Back-Space that pass sounds so cheap compared to a French one!
    Really?!? Geez, you guys must be well off If I get a seasons pass this year I'll have to sleep in my car for the rest of the season... I remember back in Ontario. It was $250 for the whole year with free rentals. And only $200 each if you get it with 3+ other people Are you skiing or boarding?

A Season Ski Pass for Espace Killy (where we're going this year - Tignes and Val D'Isere) is 1,020.00 EUR = 1,365.39 USD
    for 27th Nov to 1st May - one of the biggest ski areas in the world: 300 km of pistes and endless off-piste.
    Only retired types and locals tend to do the whole season though.

I'm a skier, but am very boarder-friendly

Lol. A little too much for me I was just thinking of finding an empty spot on one of the mountains around me. Just build a jump and keep hiking it back up. It would be great exercise and exponentially cheaper than a seasons pass

sounds a good plan!
    Not enough mountain or snow round us for that...but in the North of England this year there is....

We had an awesome idea back in Ontario. We had an old rope from water skiing with the handle on the end of it. We wanted to tie it to the back of a friends truck and have him drive down the road while we boarded in the ditch It would have been on a backroad that no one ever drives on, but unfortunately everything that's fun in Ontario is also illegal, and it would have just been a matter of time for someone to call the cops on us

wow Back-Space that would have been so good!

Smile skiing, snowboarding and mountain-loving vegans - where to eat?

Lots of us vegans and aspiring vegans love the mountains in winter and summer. Sometimes they are in places where vegan food isn't exactly the norm

So I gather together info on eateries, food shops and accommodation in snowy places and share them on the web at my own cost. I rely on people like you to share info about places you know.

So let us know or post directly on Veggie Snow if there are any particular places you recommend http://www.veggiesnow.org/locations/suggest.html

Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by Korn; May 6th, 2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread