Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade vegan pizza

PinkFluffyCloud

Default Homemade vegan pizza

Urgent!!!!!
    My son (veggie, 7 yrs old) wants to try and go vegan.
    He has asked me to make him a Pizza on the weekend, but we do not like the shop-bought bases, they are like cardboard!!
    Please tell me how to make a good Pizza dough, recipe, method, everything, please!!
    Urgent for the weekend, thanks!!!!

This amount of dough is for 2 x 12” thin crust pizza bases.

4 cups of strong white flour (enough to loosely fill a 1 litre measuring jug)
    1 sachet of easy yeast
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    350 ml hand-hot water

You will also need some extra flour for dusting.
    The water is usually the right temperature if you mix 1/3 boiling water with 2/3 cold water.

* Sieve the flour into a suitable size mixing bowl and then add the yeast and salt
    * Add the olive oil and water
    * Mix together by hand and gradually bring the mixture together into a ball. The sides of the bowl should be clean. You may need to add a little extra flour or water – this will depend on the flour you are using and will probably vary with each batch of flour
    * Sprinkle some flour onto your working surface and then start to knead the dough
    * # Put the heel of your hand down into the middle of the ball of dough and then push the dough away from you
    * Fold the dough in half and turn it round through 90°
    * Repeat from # until the dough feels silky and is elastic ... this takes about ten minutes … three average songs on the radio is usually about right!
    * Note: you can use a mixer if you have one ... if using a processor then pulse the ingredients together at first ... take care not to overprocess the dough when using a food preparation machine
    * Now transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover the bowl with oiled cling film and a clean tea towel and then put it in a warm (but not hot) place and leave it to rise until it has doubled in size ... the airing cupboard is a good place, or on top of the tumble dryer if it's accessible and you’re drying clothes (putting a damp towel on top of the dryer first tends to stop the bowl moving about too much) ... of course, you can leave it near the oven as it preheats but make sure this place isn't too hot.

Preheat the oven … Gas 8, 450°, 230°C. Use the shelf above the middle one. If you have a fan-assisted oven then you can reduce the temperature setting a little. You know your oven best.

While the dough is rising you can prepare everything for the topping.

Okay, the dough has risen.

* Turn the dough out of the bowl onto a floured working surface
    * Push your fist into the dough to knock it back
    * If you’re making 2 x 12” pizzas then cut the dough into two pieces with a sharp knife
    * If you’re making several smaller pizzas or one large pizza then sort the dough out accordingly
    * Roll out each piece to fit the trays … if the trays are fairly flat then make the dough a little larger and roll the edges back to form an edge to help hold the toppings in place … if the trays have sides then bring the dough up the sides … if you’re using just the one oblong tray then roll the dough to suit.

* Brush some olive oil over the prepared base (stops the filling soaking into the dough base)
    * Put a generous dollop of tomato puree onto the centre of the base and then spread it out with the back of a dessertspoon ... put the back of the spoon onto the tomato puree and then start working outwards in a circular motion
    * Sprinkle this with about a teaspoonful of sugar (some sort of sweetening agent does improve the taste – substitute sugar for another sweetener if you prefer). Remember that bought pizza will have been sweetened and your son will probably prefer a sweeter pizza at first … you can wean him onto a more natural tasting product over time
    * As much or as little garlic as you like … crush it first for more flavour
    * Ground black pepper plus, optional, either some chilli powder, a crushed dried red chilli if you like this or some chopped fresh chilli (handle with care)
    * Spread some well drained tinned tomatoes over what’s there so far
    * Now sprinkle some herbs over … your choice here but Italian seasoning is good or use Oregano
    * The remaining toppings are now down to your choice and/or what’s available
    * Cover the completed pizza ... lightly–oiled cling film placed gently over the top, but don’t seal the edges down, will do the job nicely
    * Leave the pizza to prove for 15 - 20 minutes or so … the dough will rise slightly. I usually put it towards the back of the hob on the cooker near where the air from the (pre-heating) oven comes up through the vents
    * Remove the cling film and drizzle some good quality olive oil over the top of the pizza and then bake at the temperature given for about 15 minutes and then reduce the heat to Gas 6, 400°, 200°C for another 15 minutes
    * Turn the pizza trays round during the cooking time and if using two shelves in the oven swap the trays from shelf to shelf to ensure even cooking
    * These timings are just a guide … you will know your oven best
    * The cooking times also depend on the size of the pizza(s) and how much topping is on the pizza
    * When the pizza is cooked, remove from the oven and leave to stand for a minute or so before cutting into pieces/slices and eating.

Have fun and enjoy your pizza!

The recipe I use is pretty easy:

2 c. whole wheat flour
    3/4 c. to 1 c. warm water
    1 package (1 T.) yeast
    pinch of salt

Mix together. Allow to rise about an hour. Roll out and place on pan and top. Bake at 500 F for 12 min.

PinkFluffyCloud

Thankyou so much, you two, will let you know how they turn out!!
    Next hurdle - convincing him to eat them with Vegan Cheese on the tops!!!!

Have you tried Redwood's Cheezly Mozzarella Style? It's nice and melty. The blocks are better value but the slices may be an easier to use option if you're letting your son help make his own pizza. My son's fiancee (omnivore) says it's okay.

PinkFluffyCloud

Am trying the melty Cheezly slices for the first time tomorrow!!

That's my favourite dough.

recipe

Instead of honey you can use sugar.
    I like Eminem - Encore

PinkFluffyCloud

So, I made two Pizzas by Silverbird's recipe. I used a mixture of Redwoods' Melty Cheese, grated, adn Toffutti's slices (which I preferred).

I loved them!!!

My son - wouldn't even eat them - one bite, that's as far as he got! (Hurumph, Little Sod!).

ConsciousCuisine

It will take a while for his tastes to adjust and change. Perhaps he will *never* enjoy vegan cheese, but I hold out hope that he will come to enjoy it. My daughter thought it was "wierd" and "nasty" when she first started eating vegan cheeses, and now she is very excited by the idea or a vegan cheese pizza! It is her favorie "fun" food!

Since he has recently had "real" cheese and has that to compare it to, it may take time for his tastebuds to adjust and "detox". Dariy consumption in particular can alter the way foods taste. Give it time. You are a great Mommy for helping him transition .

try using vegi-kaas(not soya kaas) as a vegan cheese if you're doing the traditional grate-the-cheese-and-sprinkle method.

i suggest instead of trying to immatate other pizza, make your own. i take tofu and mix it with some earth balance and tofutti better-than-cream-cheese. then i mix in the spices. sometimes i'll chop up garlic, sometimes i'll bake it instead and then put the little garlicbuttery chunks in the pizza. goes great with sauteed onions and mushrooms, chopped olives, sundried tomatos etc...

PinkFluffyCloud

Thanks, Conscious, I'll keep trying but he is hard work!!

PinkFluffyCloud, pleased to read that you enjoyed the pizzas.

Children can be fickle at the best of times. Bought/processed food tends to be sweetened, salted and flavoured to make it acceptable and the taste buds need time to adjust and appreciate "real food". Perhaps making pizza without your son helping in the kitchen and then serving it in a pizza box would go some way towards making it more appealing to him ... also, you could always try mixing vegan cheese with dairy cheese and gradually changing over until it's all vegan cheese on the pizza. Perhaps your pizza simply tasted too good compared with bought pizza!

What other toppings did you add? We like onions, (more) garlic, peppers, chillies, mushrooms, sweetcorn, left-over roasted veg, sliced tomatoes, pieces of veggieburger or sosmix, etc.

Reading through the other replies ... yes, I've used the Tofutti slices ... Tofutti's "cream cheese" spread is very nice and I feel inspired to try putting small dollops of this on the top of the pizza before baking and will experiment sometime during the week. I've never come across vegi-kaas but have just had a quick look at the Lembas list and there is Soya Kaas so will add some of this to my next order and see how we like it. Perhaps a sprinkle of nutritional yeast flakes would help develop the "cheese" flavour?

Btw, the same pizza dough can be used to make a garlic bread/pizza ... roll the dough just a little thicker if you like ... brush with olive oil then spread with garlic "butter" that you've made from non-dairy spread, lots of crushed garlic and some good quality dried parsley ... cover and leave as for the pizza, use the same oven settings but adjust timings as necessary.

Okay, keep up the good work ... you'll win your son round if you take things gently.

PinkFluffyCloud

Thanks for all your helpful input, Silverbird.
    I will try not to make the dough too often, it's just too yummy, and I am watching my weight!!!
    I appreciate all your advice.

LittleNellColumbia

Default Re: Vegan pizza cheese

Ack - I can't find it now, but I'm sure there was a thread somewhere about vegan cheese recipies. I'm pretty sure that Artichoke and Foxytina had recipies.

I used Follow Your Heart's mozzarella and it melted great. The thing I've noticed with vegan cheese is that in order for it to melt, the temp has to be at least 400 degrees.
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

cross barer

I chop up a few slices of tofutti into little squares, which works better than putting whole slices on

i do have a recipe that i use quite often for homemade cheese sauce, that i got from feline but changed quite a bit. its a sauce, so if you are making pizza, you might want to make it extra thick (just add some extra flour) and im not sure how it would be on pizza itself. but i guess u could always try! heres the recipe:

1 1/3 cups water
    heaping 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
    1 tablespoon tahini
    1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
    2 heaping tablespoons flour
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt (or as much sea salt as you like. some like more some like less. i like more as cheese is usually salty)
    1/2 - 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon of some kind of sweetener
    couple dashes of cayenne spice
    couple dashes of dry mustard
    couple dashes of tumeric
    dash of paprika
    dash of pepper

this is a fabulous nacho cheese sauce too.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Talking Re: Vegan pizza cheese

i made a pizza sauce the other day from tofu, tomatos, black beans, onions, garlic, and various spices....

i blended it in the blender and layed it on thick (the blended result looked ick, but tasted somewhat like a tomato-spicey-alfredo sauce)...

i cooked my pizza, and reached for a slice and to my delight and astonishment it did the cheese stretchy-thing!!! (it tasted pretty damn good too!!)
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

a dash of cumin and parsley make this a nice touch to my cheese sauce aswell. i recently tried this and it was delicious!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

tails4wagging

Toffuti make vegan melting mozzerella. ideal for pizza also add vegan palony. yummy

Here is ARtichokes Melty Pizza Cheese

I made it once - but I would recommend using soymilk instead of water

Default pizza!!!

i have a recipe for pizza dough that takes milk and eggs. i have soy milk but im wondering what would be the best egg sub? im thinking psyllium husk but am wondering if any of you have a better idea?
    The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essense of inhumanity. George Bernard Shaw

cross barer

Default Re: pizza!!!

Quote zena
    i have a recipe for pizza dough that takes milk and eggs. i have soy milk but im wondering what would be the best egg sub? im thinking psyllium husk but am wondering if any of you have a better idea?
    You don't need eggs or dairy for pizza dough, they are only for flavour; therefore you don't need to replace them unless you want to (just need to increase other liquid ingrediants by similar amount).

You can get egg replacement like eggfree and others but they are only for binding things together so Adam is right I reckon, try it without and see what happens. Then tell us and we'll have a slice or two...

Antony

Alternatively, find a recipe that doesn't call for eggs. There must be loads out there. I don't think I've ever seen a pizza dough recipe that did include eggs.

This one is nice.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

It's would go more like a pastry wouldn't it with eggs in it? I don't know.

Anyway, what topping are you going to put on it?

Does anyone have a recipe for pizza dough without yeast??
    'Never eat more than you can lift' - 'Miss Piggy' :p

From the cookbook, How It All Vegan

2 cups of flour
    1/2 cup soy parmesan cheese
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tbsp dried oregano
    1 tbsp dried basil
    4 tbsp margarine
    5 tbsp olive oil
    1/3 cup cold water

Preheat your oven to 400F. In a food processor or with your hands, mix the flour, cheese, salt, oregano, basil, marg, and oil until "just mixed". Spoon the flour mixture into a medium or large bowl and slowly add the water while you knead the dough. Knead only for a few minutes until dough is pliable. Form into a 6 inch disk and let chill in the fridge for 20 minutes. Roll out dough onto a pizza pan and prick all over with a fork before adding all your goodies. Bake for 20 minutes.

Question Home made vegan pasta????

Anyone out there know how to make home made pasta....without eggs? Can't seem to find a recipe. Miss the taste of fresh pasta though. sigh....

Default Re: Home made vegan pasta????

Peace, love, and happiness.

Thanks, Tigerlily!!!!! Still getting the hang of this site.

The book "professional vegetarian cooking" by Ken Bergman has some recipes for vegan pasta. Mainly vegetable pasta. I made some carrot pasta and it was fine.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Default I made my first vegan pizza

And although it took me forever to cut up the vegetables, it was so worth it! It was soooooooooooooooooo good!

Link-

http://www.honeylocust.com/pizza/

It calls for honey, but I left that out, I also left out the tempeh.

sugarmouse

Default Re: I made my first vegan pizza

[cewl i mite try that!ioften order pizza without cheese if i have to eat at a restaurant (if i am assured the dough is milk free)

i ll dig out a vegan pizza base though..im not sure i can b bothered making that myself!

I make my topping like this:

Red sauce:
    2 parts tomato puree
    1 part extra virgin olive oil
    Plenty of oregano, basil
    Some thyme and marjoram.
    Crushed garlic.
    Mix well

Cheesey stuff:
    Make about 1/3 pint of thick white sauce (fry wholemeal flour, then mix in soya milk gradually, then cook until thick).
    Add to this 1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder, 1/4 teaspoon yeast extract, 1/4 teaspoon vegetable stock powder or soy sauce, tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes. Stir until mixed well then remove from heat.

Spread the red sauce on the pizza base (I use the ready made ones, homemade would need some prebaking).
    Add toppings that don't need much cooking (mushrooms, ready to eat vegan sausage slices, fake ham, whatever).
    Cover whole pizza with Cheesey stuff.
    Add toppings that need more cooking, pressing slightly into the sauce - onion, pepper, courgette.

Bake in hot oven for about 20 minutes.

This pizza was so good that I had a few slices for lunch and dinner! I wondor how many calories it has..... I hope I don't gain like 10 pounds lol. Next time I make it I am leaving out the garlic and putting in less onions and adding lots more of broccoli( I love broccoli!)

Bad thing- I can't seem to get the smell of onion and peppers out of my hands!!

Mmm, pizza. I visited my chef friend in Florida a few weeks ago, and she made my fiancé and I a spinach and mushroom vegan pizza with Vegan Rella cheese, and it was sooooo good! She made a homemade sauce using fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic, and fresh basil and oregano, and then she let this cook down for about an hour, adding water every so often (which would evaporate, thickening the sauce). Then we made a homemade pizza crust using a recipe from The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen. We topped the pizza with sauce, carmelized onions, fresh spinach, mushrooms, and then sprinkled it with grated vegan cheese. It was seriously the best pizza I'd ever had! I'm going to try to make it myself when I get a little extra money and can afford the fresh tomatoes (man, are they expensive right now!) and vegan cheese.

Yummm. Pizza sounds so good! I think I have most of the stuff needed to make one too. Gonna leave out any sweetener from the crust though. Can't see why it would need it anyway. Hmmmm let's see....mushrooms and kale??? Maybe spinach and onion??? Maybe I can even make a dessert one with apples??? Ok, I think I am hungry now.

Yumm! A dessert one with apples! That sounds soooo good!!!!

I've made three pizzas this month.. lately I've been on a sweet onion kick. They're SO good.

The Null Void

There is a particular kind of pizza I like to make (from the cookbook "Vegan World Fusion Cuisine"). There is a pesto variation, and I've found that, like the book says, there's nothing quite like a pesto pizza. It's fantastic.

Quote Jane M
    Gonna leave out any sweetener from the crust though. Can't see why it would need it anyway.
    Generally you add some sweetner for the yeast, but that recipe didn't have yeast.

The recipe I use is pretty basic - put 2 cups flour in a bowl with 1/3 cup corn meal. Fill a cup with 1 cup warm water, mix in 1 packet yeast, then - a pinch of sugar, a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of olive oil. Pour liquid onto flours, mix, cover with a tea towel and let sit on the stove while the oven pre-heats to 450 degrees F.

then, sautee up your veggies, grate the cheese, open the sauce can, etc. By the time you are done doing that (about 20 minutes) the dough will have rested enough. Cover your hands with flour/cornmeal and mash the dough until it is no longer sticky, add more flour/cornmeal if needed.

Roll entire dough out for a deep dish pizza, use half and half if you want it to fit on 2 average sized cookie sheets or a pizza stone. Roll out in a size to fit your pan, roll over the edges and pinch down. Add sauce (tomato, pesto, etc), toppings (make sure veggies are drained well and things like mushrooms and onions are cooked and drained). Add Fake cheese or a sprinkling or nutritional yeast, some chopped garlic and italian seasoning. Brush crust with olive oil if desired. Bake in oven around 15 minutes, or until cheese is brown and crust is golden brown.

I made 2 homemade pizzas just last night. One with a tomato sauce, one with a pesto sauce. Both had fresh tomatos, sautees sliced mushrooms and halved ripe olives.

Default Amazing Vegan Pizza!

Hello all, I made an amazing vegan pizza last night & want to share it with you. I used a basic pizza base and tomato puree with basil sprinkled on. Then I used Cheezley Mozzarella flavour (Super melting variety) and peppers, onions & courgette. I then put some vegetarian worcester sauce on and some olive oil over the top. It came out really well & is the closest to real pizza Ive gotten, I think the olive oil really helped give the cheese that slightly greasy feel that real cheese has. The finishing touch is to add a sprinkle of garlic pepper, YUM
    Purple Monkey! :)

Default Re: Amazing Vegan Pizza!

mmm mmmm sounds very interesting . Cheezley you say, I've not seen it but I'm dreaming about it!

Antony

Mmmmmm sound delicious PM!

Where do you get the vegan worcester sause from? I can't find any! I guess I'm just not looking in the right places (or I'm not looking hard enough) because I don't like it hubbie does though.

I usually make the tomato base by mixing tomato puree, olive oil, oregano, basil, marjoram and thyme.

Drizzling oil over the top is a good idea I might have to try that with garlic in the oil.

I got some vegan Worcester sauce in Tesco I think - it was in the free-from section. Can't remember the make.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Thanks Rob, Ill go have a look