Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Homemade vegan pizza

Default Re: Amazing Vegan Pizza!

Quote Rob(QG)
    I usually make the tomato base by mixing tomato puree, olive oil, oregano, basil, marjoram and thyme.
    Tomato puree seems strong to make a base sauce out of, how much olive oil do you mix with it?
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

About 1 part oil to 3 parts tomato puree, probably. I just add oil and stir until it looks about right. It is different to what you would get on a real pizza, but they generally cook the sauce down quite a bit.

We like it
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Hmm OK. Might give that a go then, been meaning to make a pizza for a while now.

Ta Rob lad
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Quote Span
    Mmmmmm sound delicious PM!

Where do you get the vegan worcester sause from? I can't find any! I guess I'm just not looking in the right places (or I'm not looking hard enough) because I don't like it hubbie does though.
    You can get a vegan worcester sauce here:
    http://www.frylight.co.uk/sales.html

I've tried it and It's pretty good.

That looks like the one I got.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I also find tomato puree a bit strong for pizza base. I tend to mix puree with passatta or some tinned chopped tomatoes (or, when my tomato plants are fruiting and I'm not feeling lazy , freshly blended toms).

I also use the mozarella cheezly for pizza, a base fresh from the bread maker, plenty of ground black pepper, a drizzle of olive oil and all the veggies I can lay my hands on! - even my hubby who is a complete pizza fanatic and thought that (and chocs) would be the hardest thing to give up has had to admit that our home-made version is better than anything you can buy.

Default Vegan Pizza

I made a vegan pizza tonight. The base was the packet pizza base mix from the Co-op (a UK supermarket chain). The sauce was half a jar of their sundried tomato and basil pasta sauce. For "cheese" I used the Redwood fake "mozarella". Then a few sliced onions, tomatoes, and mushrooms. With all those prepared products, it wasn't exactly cheap. And I slightly overcooked it. But it was yummy. While I haven't eaten real cheese since ... erm ... since ... whenever it was, '97 or so, I think the Redwood Cheatin' Cheezely isn't as flavoursome as real cheese, but the sundried tomato sauce made up for it. I've still got over half the "mozarella" I bought, so if I hit the Co-op again for sauce and pizza base mix, I can make it again.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Default Re: Vegan Pizza

I was just thinking that someone should start a pizza thread so that everyone could jump in and add what their fav. pizza toppings are!!

I made pizzas yesterday as well, I used a whole wheat flatbread with a spoonful of spaghetti sauce, chopped artichokes, chopped green olives, some sundried tomatoes, chopped mushrooms & some slivered onions, it was REALLY yummy!!! I also like to add green peppers & black olives but didn't have any! I completely forgo the cheese, I've heard so many people talk about the "fake" cheeses I'm almost afraid to use any of them!

Thanks for starting this thread, I'm always interested to see what others like on their pizza!

Michelle

Exclamation Re: Vegan Pizza

I love pizza - I make wholewheat bases from a recipe in my Rose Elliot 'Vegan Feasts' book and my fave toppings are: spicy tomato and garlic sauce, mushrooms, onions, peppers, sweetcorn, olives and asparagus. Mmmm...

I don't do vegan cheese
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Quote flvegan
    Thanks for starting this thread, I'm always interested to see what others like on their pizza!
    If you run a search for pizza (titles only) you'll find quite a few in existance already.

Personally I can wholeheartedly recommend learning how to make your own pizza dough - it will be far nicer than anything from a packet. It's easy to make neopolitan bases by hand with fresh yeast or focaccia bases with dried yeast and a bread machine. You can make stuffed crust pizzas (fake cheese, sundried tomatoes etc) or with herbs/olives in the dough.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Holly78
    I love pizza - I make wholewheat bases from a recipe in my Rose Elliot 'Vegan Feasts' book and my fave toppings are: spicy tomato and garlic sauce, mushrooms, onions, peppers, sweetcorn, olives and asparagus. Mmmm...

I don't do vegan cheese
    I have that book ... somewhere. I also have some wholemeal flour milled in George Green's (famous mathematician) mill in Nottingham that I haven't used yet.

Cheers,

Ross-c

i just ordered vegan pizza.

1 with pineapple, caramalized onions and vegan rella cheese, and the other with red onion, sundried tomatoes, mushrooms, and vegan rella cheese. (both with extra sauce and cheese) yummm.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Yum, you've given me some great idea. I like to spread a (thick) layer of avocado on top of the tomato base.

i looove making vegan pizzas! mmm.

i "borrowed" some sunblushed tomatoes from work the other day. i'm thinking i wanna put them on a pizza with mushrooms, sundried tomato sauce, and spinach *drools*

do you guys always put vegan cheese on your pizzas? sometimes i dont bother, cos its nice enough without it, sometimes

Quote lozza
    do you guys always put vegan cheese on your pizzas? sometimes i dont bother, cos its nice enough without it, sometimes
    I use the miso-tahini-tomato sauce that Moonshadow suggested - it is soooo tasty and disturbingly like cheese Highly recommended. I don't do vegan cheese either. That's just wrong.

I make a pizza about once a week. My dough recipe is simple- 1 packet yeast, 1/4 tsp sugar mixed with 3/4 cup 110 degree water for 8 minutes. then mix with 1 3/4 cup flour, knead for 2 minutes.. makes 12-14" thin crust. I top with just about anything but cheese. bake at 500 until golden brown.

Limey

yada yada yada

What do you mean? Pizza in the 80s american sense of the word or the italian? Traditional italian bread that has been used for pizza are all vegan (napolitan, focaccia etc), and many do not traditionally use either animal products or tomatoes. Many of those that include cheese do so in the terms of a very miniscule amount that isn't missed (such as pesto that is really about fresh basil, crushed nuts and olive oil - not the 1% of cheese). Stuff the modern view on pizza, to me it's about decent quality freshly baked bread with flavour packed fruit and veg cooked in extra virgin olive oil. I've never tasted a pizza that beats neopolitan dough with tomatos, olive oil, garlic and oregano - coming from someone who used to love horrendous amounts of cheese and peporonni.

Limey

Quote Mr Flibble
    What do you mean? Pizza in the 80s american sense of the word or the italian?...Stuff the modern view on pizza....coming from someone who used to love horrendous amounts of cheese and peporonni.
    Yep, yep. Precisely what I mean, but only because I am still a brand new vegan and have not gotten over that hurdle yet. But I invite someone to come to Charlotte and cook a fabulous one for me so I can sing the praises along with everyone else.
    I'm sure I'll get there in time.

*edit* nevermind, I take it all back.

*drool* Will you make me a pizza Mr Flibble?

I don't put cheese on pizza usually. More space for all the other lovely things I don't miss it at all.

Quote fiamma
    I use the miso-tahini-tomato sauce that Moonshadow suggested - it is soooo tasty and disturbingly like cheese Highly recommended. I don't do vegan cheese either. That's just wrong.
    nah i use it sometimes. its nice depending what brand/flavor you use.

I like to order a pizza with every fruit and vegetable they have and then putt hummus and salad on it.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

heh, do they laugh at you?

i had a pizza tonight..just tomato sauce, mushrooms, herbs & vegan cheese.

I also wanted to add that we went out with friends the other night at our local pizza place and I ordered a "veggie" pizza, and it had broccoli & spinach and it was REALLY good!!!

Just another couple of non-traditional pizza toppings to add to the list!

Michelle

Quote Mr Flibble
    You can make stuffed crust pizzas (fake cheese, sundried tomatoes etc) or with herbs/olives in the dough.
    Now there's an idea!

They don't laugh but they are REALLY confused.

I went to Italian and ordered pizza tonight - I had a gourmet veggie delight - artichokes, red capsicum, eggplant, sundried tomatoes, garlic, onion & spinach. Yum.

Default Pizza toppings

Sorry if this has been covered before. If it has perhaps someone could point me in the right direction?

I made fresh pizza bases last night for my first time as a vegan. They were really great and now I'm looking for ideas for toppings, that go together well.
    I don't much like fake cheese or meat, so I'm looking for other ideas.
    Thanks all.

Default Re: Pizza toppings

Olives, olives, olives.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, basically anything you used to have on a pizza, minus the cheese/meat Avocados also taste delicious!

Capers

Greektown Pizza
    Whip up this Greektown-inspired pizza for dinner or as an appetizer.

1/2 cup hummus
    1 vegan pizza crust
    2 small, firm tomatoes, sliced
    1/4 cup sliced olives
    3-4 pepperoncini, sliced
    1/2 tsp. chopped oregano
    Sea salt, to taste
    Freshly crushed black pepper, to taste
    1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil

• Preheat the oven to 425°F.
    • Spread the hummus over the pizza crust. Top with the tomato slices, olives, and pepperoncini.
    • Sprinkle the oregano, salt, and pepper over the top. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes.
    • Remove from the oven and drizzle with the olive oil.

I modified the recipe. I never used that "pepperoni" stuff. And I made my own crust, using whole wheat flour, water, olive oil, and salt.

i had pizza last night:

homemade dough, passata, tomatoes, olives, red onion, mushroom, green chilli, pineapple, roasted pepper, nutritional flakes. i put fresh basil on after it was cooked and ate it with some grated uncooked super melting mozz - with herb-bread ciabatta it was delish

Grilled zucchini, eggplant and peppers
    Sauce made with tomato pasta sauce, miso and tahini.

Alternatively a marinara sauce - tomato, garlic, parsley and olive oil.
    Fresh rocket leaves

You guys that use avocado, do you heat it? Does it turn brown or anything?

Quote Haniska View Post
    You guys that use avocado, do you heat it? Does it turn brown or anything?
    I want to know too.

Quote fiamma View Post
    Alternatively a marinara sauce - tomato, garlic, parsley and olive oil.
    For neopolitan bases this is my all time favourite (thou not really a sauce - just chopped small tomatoes with the seeds and juice removed). Is parsley authentic? I was under the impression (as someone whose never actually been to italy ) that oregano is more common?

I really want pizza now.

My favorite toppings are tomatoes, onion, olives, fresh basil, and a few drops of olive oil. The other day, I bought "Amy's" frozen pizza, no cheese. I added some fresh ingredients (mentioned above), and it was so surprisingly delicious!
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

*sends Pizza to tigerlily*

I bough one of the base dried mixes yesterday, never tried it before as i usually make my own base but never been able to get it like a real pizza base. Mine i usually a bit dry. I though it would be the safer rought but will find out tomorrow, not expecting much after what i just read

I like Italian style pizza, if it is simple. Just with the tomato sauce with parsley and maybe an additon like just one topping like black olives or red onion!

I like american style, if it is california style. I like with a spicy tomato sauce, lemon marinated garlic, fresh basil, pesto, chilies, chunky salsa, pineapples, mango, fresh tomatos, fresh advocado +++ Sometimes with mint in the dough. Always with loads of tofu and nobody (even people who is scared of tofu) tastes it

fresh herbs are very authentic to italy. the ones i see italian chef's use the most are parsley, oregano, and basil. less often rosemary and other herbs. fresh anything is authentic in italy lol. especially if its green!

I feel like cheesless pizza with spinach, olives, mushrooms, garlic, parsely, fresh tomatoes. Oh man.

ive never had spinach on pizza before. its good tigerlily?

right now if i could have any toppings it would be a vegan ham and pineapple pizza. mmmm.

Me neither, but it sounds good. Haha.

I made a pizza a few days ago. I made my own pesto sauce and "ricotta" style tofu with fresh parsely and some other seasonings. Added some fresh veggies such as squash and brocoli. It came out great! I got it from Vegan with a vegance and changed the toppings around! I did not make my own dough. I am scared it will come out nasty.

Quote foxytina_69 View Post
    fresh herbs are very authentic to italy.
    My comment about parsley was in the context of marinara, not italian cookery in general. I have no doubt that parsley itself is 'authentic'

Tofu pizza is really good, too. That's what I'm gonna have for supper tonight.

I use whole wheat pita, and put pizza sauce, soft tofu(squished) and olives on top of the pita. It's really, really good.

Quote foxytina_69 View Post
    right now if i could have any toppings it would be a vegan ham and pineapple pizza. mmmm.
    Oooooooh, what a good idea! Never even crossed my mind. I normally stick with veggies and tofu or occasionally fake pepperoni. Never liked pepperoni as an omni, but the fake stuff is kind of addicting

Quote Glossgirl View Post
    I like Italian style pizza, if it is simple. Just with the tomato sauce with parsley and maybe an additon like just one topping like black olives or red onion!

I like american style, if it is california style. I like with a spicy tomato sauce, lemon marinated garlic, fresh basil, pesto, chilies, chunky salsa, pineapples, mango, fresh tomatos, fresh advocado +++ Sometimes with mint in the dough. Always with loads of tofu and nobody (even people who is scared of tofu) tastes it

Mellow Mushroom has a great tofu pizza, vegan crust, although they were shocked out of their minds when I said no cheese! The waitress even came back to make sure I also didn't want the ricotta. I was in Charlottesville for God's sake! Haha.