Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Homemade vegan pizza

Default Re: Vegan Pizza

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    For neopolitan bases this is my all time favourite (thou not really a sauce - just chopped small tomatoes with the seeds and juice removed). Is parsley authentic? I was under the impression (as someone whose never actually been to italy ) that oregano is more common?
    i was under the same impression
    Piggy

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Is parsley authentic? I was under the impression (as someone whose never actually been to italy ) that oregano is more common?
    Depends on the pizzeria, Mr F - oregano might be more common but many places do use parsley. Maybe depends on the area of Italy? Parsley is a popular ingredient in this area anyway - it comes in big bunches and when I do buy it it goes off because I never know what to do with it

neapolitans will tell you to NEVER eat a pizza up north they say it's not the real thing but that's their opinion
    Piggy

I'll give parsley a try some time soon on your recomendation - I have some growing on my balcony
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

re the avocado question, i put it on sometimes but with only about 5-7mins to cook. it gets hot and soft but not brown.

I'm craving pizza. CRAVING CRAVING CRAVING. Since I'm lazy and not really a good chef/baker anyway, I'm going to buy Amy's pizza. I think I'll be decadent and add some vegan mozzarella and some extra veggies.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Allthatis

Default Newb question about pizza dough (USA)

Well, I wanted to make a vegan pizza tonight for dinner. I was wondering if it is safe to use those packaged pizza doughs...where you just add water, and bake? What i should I be cautious of?

Default Re: Newb question about pizza dough

I don't know where you are, but if you happen to be near a Trader Joe's, they make a wonderful ready-made pizza dough. I know the whole-wheat one is vegan. They have a few other varieties, too, and they're yummy!

Default pizza

hi
    does anyone have a good recipe for a vegan pizza, using tofu and nutritional yeast? I'm dying to make myself a pizza...
    I need instructions how to make the bread (prefeably using whole grain wheat) and just what to do with the tofu :| I'm absolutely clueless.

thanks in advance

Kalia.
    "I think, therefore I'm vegan"

Default Re: pizza

this is the recipe i use for cheese, when i wanna make a pizza, a toast, mac'n'cheese, on top of lasagna, or,..

2 tbs nutritional yeast
    2 tbs white flour

-mix together.

in a saucepan, melt 2 tbs of margarine, and stir in the yeast/flour-mix.
    mix in 1/2 a cup of water or soymilk, stir a bit, add 1-2 tsp of mustard, some salt and pepper.
    stir some more, let it heat. (it should start thickening now..)

make sure it has a creamy consitensy.

you can add 1 tsp of curry to make it yellowish.

add it to the pizza, the lasagna, or whatever, just about 15-20 minutes before it's done. it'll brown a bit.

tastes very mild and cheesy.

There's a method for making the base here:

http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/pizza.htm

Perhaps you could combine that with smoothie's and any other ideas about the topping.

I don't usually bother with substituting anything for the cheese when I have pizza - I just have it without and it's fine. Some Italian pizzas don't have cheese on them anyway (isn't that right, fiamma and anyone else in Italy?).

Quote Smoothie View Post
    this is the recipe i use for cheese, when i wanna make a pizza, a toast, mac'n'cheese, on top of lasagna, or,..

2 tbs nutritional yeast
    2 tbs white flour

-mix together.

in a saucepan, melt 2 tbs of margarine, and stir in the yeast/flour-mix.
    mix in 1/2 a cup of water or soymilk, stir a bit, add 1-2 tsp of mustard, some salt and pepper.
    stir some more, let it heat. (it should start thickening now..)

make sure it has a creamy consitensy.

you can add 1 tsp of curry to make it yellowish.

add it to the pizza, the lasagna, or whatever, just about 15-20 minutes before it's done. it'll brown a bit.

tastes very mild and cheesy.
    wow thanks a lot that sounds good!

Quote harpy View Post
    There's a method for making the base here:

http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/pizza.htm

Perhaps you could combine that with smoothie's and any other ideas about the topping.

I don't usually bother with substituting anything for the cheese when I have pizza - I just have it without and it's fine. Some Italian pizzas don't have cheese on them anyway (isn't that right, fiamma and anyone else in Italy?).
    yeah I heard that about italian pizza... (and that's pretty weird, cause isn't pizza originally from Italy? I think all around the world you have it with cheese) but when I was a vegeterian, the cheese was the best part. it's really boring without...

Yes, there are a few; some have just rosemary and olive oil (foccaccia you'd probably call it), others tomato, parsley or oregano and garlic (marinara). Of course you can ask them to leave the cheese off any pizza you like.

I do take your point about cheese on Italian pizza, kalia, but I don't think Italians consider cheese as a defining ingredient of pizza! I'm eating less and less pizza though, because like you I really don't like it without cheese! Unless I make it myself.
    Last edited by fiamma; Feb 4th, 2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Needed to add something.

I find if you ask for the cheese to be left off a "regular" pizza the result is often a bit acid. Perhaps they make the tomato sauce sour to "cut" the grease of the cheese.

If you make your own, or if it's a purpose-built Italian cheeseless pizza , then it can be OK.

I remember getting a strange reaction once when I asked for a pizza without cheese in the US, but in Britain places seem to be used to it. I suppose quite a lot of people here are avoiding dairy produce for one reason or another.

Edited to add: you may also be interested in these threads, Kalia: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5632
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7080
    There are one or two others if you search.

I agree harpy; I really don't like asking cheese to be left off pizzas as I feel they've been made with the cheese in mind. I'm getting increasingly turned off by pizzas in restaurants; there's only one place near here we go where I'd order one.
    Good luck on your pizza quest kalia!

thanks fiamma and harpy

i made a yummy pizza today, for the base i used the middle of two jacket potatoes(weird i know but it works), whole wheat bread flour a little yeast and water(only a little bit, mix it all together and kneed i like bread dough , leave for 15 mins and then roll out and put what ever topping you want on it. it does taste nice!!

i usually use fresh tomato slices, artichoke,potato, black olives, pineapple, red onion, pesto, mushrooms and the cheese i posted earlier, when i make pizza.
    i do like this:

-make a pizza dough.
    -instead of tomato sauce, spread some basil pesto out.
    -put slices og tomato, potato, onion, artichoke, pineapple, mushrooms and whatever else you like as a pizza topping.
    -give it a bit of olive oil - preferrably some with a hint of garlic or chili
    -put it in the oven. when it looks ALMOST done, pour the cheese sauce over it, and give it ten more minutes, or until the sauce browns a bit.
    -serve!

YUMMIE!!

pavotrouge

My fave for pizza stays pesto instead of any cheeselike sauce, and will forever!

Jjt

Default Re: Newb question about pizza dough (USA)

I don't see any reason to be cautious. It may have a few preservatives and sugar, but that's all I can think of. If you have any doubts just look up the ingredients on the internet. It has to have the ingredients labeled. All that's in dough is flour, oil, sugar, water,yeast. It may have honey but that's really unlikely. I don't know everything it might have though. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Unless you buy something like jiffy mix. I know some of these contain lard.

You can always just make your own. I posted a pizza dough recipe here:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14847

Default Re: Newb question about pizza dough (USA)

I'm not sure about pizza dough, but I would be cautious. Maybe it was just me but it took me about 15 minutes in the bread isle to find bread that was vegan.
    And alas I have arrived, like a whirlwind at a kindergarten picnic.

PEPPERONI AND PESTO STROMBOLI

1c warm water
    1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4t)
    3c plus 2T all purpose flour
    1T sugar
    1/4t salt
    1/3c pesto sauce
    1 1/2c shredded vegan gourmet mozzarella
    1/4c chopped pitted kalamata olives
    1 7oz bottle roasted bell peppers, chopped and drained
    1 4oz package meatless pepperoni

combine warm water and yeast in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. add 3c flour, sugar, and salt into yeast mixture; stir to form a dough. turn dough out onto a floured surface. knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1T at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel sticky). place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes.
    preheat oven to 350 degrees F
    press dough into a 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pan coated with oil. spread pesto over dough, leaving a 1 inch border; top with cheese, olives, peppers, and pepperoni, pressing gently into dough. beginning with a long side roll up jelly roll style. press seam to seal. place roll, seam side down, on pan. cut 4 slits across top of dough using a sharp knife; let rise for 30 minutes. lightly coat dough with cooking spray. bake at 350 for 40 minutes. let stand 10 minutes before slicing. cut crosswise into 8 slices.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

Doh! . . . . Why didn't I think of that!? LOL
    (pun intented)

ive never had spinach on pizza before.
    Oh man, spinach is great on a pizza. Besides tasting good it adds nice color!

Greens go great with tomato in general.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

desmond jones

Lightbulb vegan pizza dough

does anyone know a good pizza dough recipe that doesn't require active dry yeast? because i don't have any, and i can't get to a grocery store at the moment.

i have everything else that is possibly needed.

Herbsman

Default Re: vegan pizza dough

uhh,... you kinda need yeast for the dough to rise... theres not really an alternative although you could try baking powder.

I wonder if you could make a flat crust since you don't yeast...you could experiment. It might turn out really gross, though.

Do you have cornmeal? I found this recipe by googling "yeast-free pizza dough." I don't know if it's any good, though.

desmond jones

Thanks

Hope it turned out ok.

desmond jones

Default i just made the greatest vegan pizza ever!

!!!
    it was fantastic!
    and i bs'd the whole thing!

the crust was a basic crust, except i forgot to add baking powder, and i put some balsamic vinagar and olive oil in it. oh, and oregano

the cheese was a mixture of Earth Balance, Tofutti cream cheese, mustard, peanut butter, cashews, jalapenos, liquid smoke, vegan french dressing, and olive oil. it was a bit too pasty at first, and didn't spread well, but it tastes delicious

toppings: garlic, fake pepperoni, sliced jalapenos, a little bit of liquid smoke, pepper, herbs, and a chipotle-mango sauce.

yumsies

any of you make any great pizzas? i'd love to hear some recipies. this was my first, and i really wanna continue.

Default Re: i just made the greatest vegan pizza ever!

I dunno...some of my pizzas might rival yours! Although it does sound good. Most of the time I just do cheeseless, last Friday we did a deep dish with onions, peppers, mushrooms and a chunky tomato sauce. A while back I made a "deluxe" with seitan-roni, tempeh sausage crumbles, bacos, mushrooms, peppers, onions & teese. That one was amazing.
    veganhomemade.wordpress.com

Quote tofuandpotatoes View Post
    !!!
    it was fantastic!
    and i bs'd the whole thing!

the crust was a basic crust, except i forgot to add baking powder, and i put some balsamic vinagar and olive oil in it. oh, and oregano

the cheese was a mixture of Earth Balance, Tofutti cream cheese, mustard, peanut butter, cashews, jalapenos, liquid smoke, vegan french dressing, and olive oil. it was a bit too pasty at first, and didn't spread well, but it tastes delicious

toppings: garlic, fake pepperoni, sliced jalapenos, a little bit of liquid smoke, pepper, herbs, and a chipotle-mango sauce.

yumsies

any of you make any great pizzas? i'd love to hear some recipies. this was my first, and i really wanna continue.
    Sounds yummy ... I want to try that ... was the cashews whole or chopped?

Qaxt

http://www.amys.com/products/images/400/00103.jpg

Frozen pizza, but still was very tasty.

I've never had much luck with vegan Pizza. I can never seem to get the 'cheese' to melt. Cheezly 'Super melting Mozzarella' simply doesn't.

I don't think Earth Balance is available in Blighty.

Am I doing something wrong?
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Jiffs - I have had better melting success with either (a) not putting the cheesly on the top but underneath the other ingredients or (b) grating it in a bowl and mixing in a little oil with it first.

Ok thank you, I''ll try that. Would Olive oil be alright for this?
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Yah, or anything cheaper too!

I just got some Bertorelli extra virgin in Sainsburys on BOGOF,so I'm quite flush with it at the mo!

I find the Cheezly cheddar slices are quite good for pizza...........they melt very well too!

(Plus, they're great in toasted sandwiches...........they sizzle away like there's no tomorrow! )
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote tofuandpotatoes View Post
    !!!
    i just made the greatest vegan pizza ever!
    You think you did but you never ate mine.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Give us the recipe Risker!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Well, it's not the greatest pizza ever, but it's the best one I've ever made.

Just had it for my dinner ..... base was made with polenta for extra crunch and linseed and garlic. Toppings was garlic-herb aioli with mushrooms and caremalised onion and garlic. Great for those who don't like a tomatoey pizza. I'll post a pic of it in the ford porn thread.

Contender for my Last dinner!

I cheat and make my pizza dough in my bread machine. I use a mixture of organic whole wheat flour and organic unbleached white flour and always add garlic and basil to the flour before putting it in the machine. After I roll the dough out and put it on the pan I use a fork to put holes all over before adding sauce and toppings to make a really crispy crust. I use a can of organic tomato paste and make my own sauce cause I like to use my fav spices in my sauce and it's cheap to make. I just tried 'Teese' for the first time this weekend and it was fantastic although it's not organic. The trick is to dice the teese and it melts really good this way. I first tried slicing it but found dicing makes it melt much better. My husband loved it and wants me to start using teese on pizza from now on. I'm going to try it in lasagna next.
    http://www.teesecheese.com/
    "The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking." -byron

I once made a pizza with tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, grape seed oil, zucchini, green bell pepper, boca soy ground, jalepenos, carmelized onions, barbecue sauce, and hot sauce.
    http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF0117.jpg

Smile Vegan Pizza ...

Does anyone have a yummy tried and true vegan pizza dough recipe that they wouldnt mind sharing ? *smiles sweetly* TIA

...And while we are on the topic what is everyones favorite vegan pizza toppings ? (we might gain some inspiration from each others favorite toppings )

~L~ x

Default Re: Vegan Pizza ...

When I make pizza dough I just use wholemeal flour, water and olive oil (about 3/4 water to 1/4 oil). I don't measure it out I just bung in as much flour as I need, depending on the size of pizza I want, and add the water and oil and mix until the consistency feels right.

For toppings I use a vegan pizza sauce or tinned chopped tomatoes and add tomatoes, peppers, courgettes, mushrooms, sweet corn, pineapple...I sometimes add smoked tofu, vegan sausage or other fake-meat-type-stuff like cheatin' ham as well.

Default Re: Vegan Pizza ...

greenwoman - do you put yeast in?