Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Homemade vegan pizza

Default Re: Vegan Pizza ...

No, flying plum, can't be bothered to. It always comes out quite well without, probably not as crisp as shop bought pizza bases but I like it.

green woman - Thank you I will give that a go tomorrow night...can't actually remeber the last time i had pizza and had therefore also over time managed to loose my pizza dough recipe. Youre a champion .. Thanks again

Capers and pine nuts are good things to put on any kind of pizza, IMO. Apart from that I usually use whatever vegetables I have handy and slice them thinly so they cook enough on the pizza if you see what I mean and don't need pre-cooking.

I have had potato-topped pizza in a vegetarian restaurant in Italy and it was rather good. A bit high on the carbs perhaps The potatoes were cut into small cubes, and pre-roasted, I would imagine.

Stu

What do you guys eat with pizza?

Beer.

Smile Re: Vegan Pizza ...

Quote Stu View Post
    ... you're meant to eat something with pizza ... oh my ... i thought pizza was a complete meal .. i mean if i have a slice in each hand and nibble alternatly from each slice its a balanced meal ... right ?!

Quote ~Lyns~ View Post
    green woman - Thank you I will give that a go tomorrow night...can't actually remeber the last time i had pizza and had therefore also over time managed to loose my pizza dough recipe. Youre a champion .. Thanks again
    You're very welcome, Lyns. I hope it tastes good to you - don't expect it to be like pizzas that you buy. You could try white flour which might make the base a bit crispier but I prefer wholemeal as it's healthier.

Here's a proper pizza dough recipe, using yeast. It's a bit too labour intensive for my liking.
    http://deliaonline.com/recipes/basic...h,1426,RC.html

Quote Stu View Post
    Garlic bread, what else!

French bread
    Vegan marge
    Clove of crushed garlic or a tea spoon of garlic paste
    Chopped parsley
    Salt and pepper if you want - I don't

Mix marge, garlic and chopped parsley, spread on bread, bung in oven for 10-15 mins on gas mark 4.

I went through a phase last year of making pizza with baked beans, pineapple, mushrooms and peppers.

Thinly sliced artichoke hearts (from a tin) are great on pizza as a kind of cheese alternative.

Quote Stu View Post
    Salad cream, and as fiamma quite rightly said, beer (but not mixed together, though maybe I should try that.)
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I use the pizza dough recipe from my breadmaker (using olive oil).
    I top that with a mixture of tomato puree, minced garlic, olive oil, oregano, parsley, basil, marjoram, thyme, with a little water.

Then just add the usual veggies. I reckon that antipasti style roasted artichokes that you get in the chiller would be brilliant as a topping. The tinned ones are nice, but I think those would be better.

A nice pizza crust dip is minced garlic, parsley, mayola. Or half mayola half plain yoghurt if you're pretending it will make a huge difference to the calories in the meal. Let it sit for 20 minutes or so to develop the flavour.

Or for a barbecue dip add smoked paprika to ketchup.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Default Re: pizza

I use minced meat replacer , tomatoe sauce ,basil, salt, onions, garlic, mushrooms and margarine on a vegan pizza dough. The margarine makes it creamy

Here's how I make pizza dough:
    - 1 kg wheat flour (bleached or whole, or a mix )
    - 500 ml lukewarm water
    - 25 gr. yeast
    - 1 tbs salt
    - 2 tbs olive oil
    - 1 pinch of sugar

Mix water, sugar and yeast. Blend it slowly with flour until you can work it with your hands. Add oil and salt. Knead a lot Then cover it with cloth and let it rest for 3 hours or so. Then knead it briefly and flatten it. You'll get 3 or 4 pizzas, it depends on how large you want them

As for the topping, I usually just pour pureed tomatoes on it, sprinkle some salt, a couple teaspoons olive oil, and smother it with mixed half-cooked chopped vegetables (peppers, aubergines, zucchini, olives, mushrooms, fresh cherry tomatoes, onions... not all at the same time of course, we italians don't like too many different ingredients on our pizzas! Two or three is just fine). When it's cooked, I add some oregano OR fresh basil OR arugula

Just one more things: pineapples, pesto, margarine or potatoes on pizza are blasphemy!

Quote Smoothie View Post
    i usually use fresh tomato slices, artichoke,potato, black olives, pineapple, red onion, pesto, mushrooms and the cheese i posted earlier, when i make pizza.
    i do like this:

-make a pizza dough.
    -instead of tomato sauce, spread some basil pesto out.
    -put slices og tomato, potato, onion, artichoke, pineapple, mushrooms and whatever else you like as a pizza topping.
    -give it a bit of olive oil - preferrably some with a hint of garlic or chili
    -put it in the oven. when it looks ALMOST done, pour the cheese sauce over it, and give it ten more minutes, or until the sauce browns a bit.
    -serve!

YUMMIE!!
    Pineapple? On a pizza?

nature|nurture

Quote Quantum Mechanic View Post
    Pineapple? On a pizza?
    It is actually pretty widespread in Russia (not the vegan version, of course). Here they call it Hawaiian pizza.

Common in the UK too and both Pizza Hut and Dominos Pizza in the US offer pineapple as a pizza topping.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Pineapple is great on pizza. I like onion, tomato, mushroom, sweetcorn and pineapple. I use ready made bases or baguettes.

The Spelt bases from Planet Organic are super yummy.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

I saw pizza with pineapple in a menu just once in my life - in a pizzeria that catered for many basketball and volleyball foreign players. My friends and me found it gross and hilarious at the same time Just don't order it if you ever come to Italy, or you'll pass for the weird tourist who knows nothing about food.
    But since some of you are saying it's good, next time I make pizza I'll try it (if I'm feeling brave) in the secrecy of my home... I'll never tell anyone! Do you use canned or fresh pineapple? And do you also add tomato sauce?

pavotrouge

you use tomato sauce as a base usually, though I can imagine pineapple going well with a bianco base.

What do you mean with bianco base? Do you make some kind of white sauce or do you just omit the tomato?

pavotrouge

not a white sauce, just olive oil with garlic, salt, pepper and maybe thyme and oregano. I learned that from a friend from Torino and assumed it's common in Italy

Oh, ok^^ "Pizza bianca" is something that you usually find in take aways, not in pizzerias. I guess you could classify it more like a "focaccia" than like a "pizza". It's very yummy! But real pizza always has tomatoes

I think canned pineapple is best or very ripe fresh one.

Quote Loss View Post
    But since some of you are saying it's good, next time I make pizza I'll try it (if I'm feeling brave) in the secrecy of my home... I'll never tell anyone! Do you use canned or fresh pineapple? And do you also add tomato sauce?
    You probably don't want to know about my baked bean pizza!
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Quote wendy View Post
    I think canned pineapple is best or very ripe fresh one.
    Ok, thanks for the tip

Quote beanstew View Post
    You probably don't want to know about my baked bean pizza!
    ...WHERE ARE MY EARPLUGS?!

What pizza places serve pizza on vegan dough? I went to Trader Joe's and looked at their pizza crusts and saw that they were not vegan, so I figured most pizza dough is not vegan. The only times I've ever had vegan pizza, the crust was very thin and crispy.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Most pizza dough should be vegan, really. Should only be made with flour, water, yeast, oil, sugar and salt. Independent restaurants that make their own dough ought to be vegan.

pavotrouge

Quote Loss View Post
    Ok, thanks for the tip

...WHERE ARE MY EARPLUGS?!
    have I mentioned that in Germany many pizza places sell doner kebap pizza?
    (not the Italian-owned ones )

LOL! Finally a good cause! Forget world hunger... ban pineapple on pizza! xD

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    have I mentioned that in Germany many pizza places sell doner kebap pizza?
    (not the Italian-owned ones )
    This is getting yuckier and yuckier

Quote Pob View Post
    Most pizza dough should be vegan, really. Should only be made with flour, water, yeast, oil, sugar and salt.
    Very true, but it's better to ask anyway, some unreasonable people like to sneak milk and lard in it claiming it tastes better!

Default Re: Vegan Pizza

Quote insubordination View Post
    Yum, you've given me some great idea. I like to spread a (thick) layer of avocado on top of the tomato base.

Avocado sounds so good for pizza, I must try

Mousee!!

i advocate avacado! make into a guacamole and spread on pizza. its awsome. especially if you make it a hot one!!!

eggplant is by far my favorite pizza topping.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

I just made pizza last week with tomato sauce, vegan cheese, mushrooms, garlic, red pepper flakes, and sprouts. So yummy!

I'm lazy, so i buy Waitrose organic stonebaked pizza bases topped with passata sauce.
    You get 2 in a box for £2.99 from the freezer section. They cook straight from frozen.
    I usually have olives, artichokes and red onion on mine, and homemade pesto if i have any knocking around.

Made a lovely pizza tonight.

1/2
    Herby tomato sauce
    Yellow Pepper
    Portabella Mushroom
    Courgette
    Pure Cheese Slice

1/2
    Apple
    Apple Sauce mixed with peanut butter (3:1 ratio)
    Pure Creamy Cheese spread (found a use for this )
    Chocolate Chips

It's really nice doing 1/2 savoury and 1/2 sweet. We don't often had desserts, so it's a really yummy treat

Default Great Italian vegan recipes !

Hi everyone! Great news. An Italian blog of vegan recipes just went international, with an English version.

You can check it out here: http://www.veganwiz.com/

Not all the Italian recipes have been translated but
    some will be added and translated more and more soon.

Buon Appetito !

Default Re: Great Italian vegan recipes ! (daily update)

Oh, I like the look of this site! Thanks for posting the link, vegetarian cat. I love Italian food

Oh man, those recipes look absolutely incredible! Thanks for posting!

http://www.veganwiz.com/2010/02/17/r...rmesan-cheese/

Sounds great!

I made a similiar recipe but using sesame seeds once. It was good but too... "Asiany" in flavour. Almonds + a bit of nutritional yeast seems like it would be perfect.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

vegetarian_cat, are you registered to veganwiz by any chance? My nickname is Elle, I posted a few recipes

Default Re: Homemade vegan pizza

A question for those that use pizza stones.

We've just got a new pizza stone and having never used one before could do with some advice on how to use it. I've read that you should never put a pizza stone straight in to a hot oven or risk cracking it, I've also read that once fully heated a stone will be too hot to handle even with oven gloves. The suggested solution it to use a peel to put the pizza on to the stone while still in the oven but we wouldn't make pizza often enough to justify the cost and clutter of one.

The best solution I can think of is to heat the stone in the oven then lift it out using the oven shelf to hold it then hopefully be able to slide the pizza off of a floured chopping board on to it, I'm a bit worried about the stone sliding off the shelf as I do this though. Is this what everyone else does or is there a better solution?

Quote Risker View Post

We've just got a new pizza stone and having never used one before could do with some advice on how to use it. I've read that you should never put a pizza stone straight in to a hot oven or risk cracking it, I've also read that once fully heated a stone will be too hot to handle even with oven gloves. The suggested solution it to use a peel to put the pizza on to the stone while still in the oven but we wouldn't make pizza often enough to justify the cost and clutter of one.

The best solution I can think of is to heat the stone in the oven then lift it out using the oven shelf to hold it then hopefully be able to slide the pizza off of a floured chopping board on to it, I'm a bit worried about the stone sliding off the shelf as I do this though. Is this what everyone else does or is there a better solution?
    I don't have a pizza stone, but I once looked into buying one and decided not to do it in the end. You might already know, but a safe way to get the pizza onto the hot stone is to use a wooden pizza paddle, you can find them online and on Amazon.com for instance as well if you want to have a look. When you take the stone out to cool off you need to put the stone on another heat resistance surface that can withstand the heat from the very hot stone. Because I always burn myself cooking and chop my fingers I figured I'm not the safest person to handle one of these stones. I also have a little girl who always seems to stand behind me, so I decided not to use one myself. Make sure you put plenty of cornmeal on the stone before you put the dough on otherwise you might not be able to take the pizza off well once it's cooked.

The paddle is the peel I was referring to

Hehe well a peel or a paddle, I personally would prefer to be safe.

Quote Risker View Post

My pizza stone is permanently parked on the bottom rack of my oven. I've never worried about it cracking from heat since they're designed to withstand high temperatures and, if the stone is already in place when you turn the oven on, they'll heat up gradually which should avoid any issues they might have with sudden fluctuations in temperature. I don't touch the stone to remove my pizza so no clue how hot they are to handle. I used to have a peel but lost it when my house flooded and haven't replaced it. What I usually do is either loosen the pizza on the stone with a regular metal spatula and then just use the spatula to carefully slide the pizza onto a cutting board I hold next to the stone or use a metal pizza pan directly on the stone depending on how many toppings I dump on it. I find the pan is handy for those times I really pile on the veggies. I would really be careful about balancing a hot stone on an oven rack and trying to remove a pizza from it without hurting yourself If worse comes to worse you can always use a thickish piece of cardboard to slide it out and onto a cutting board or counter.