Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dennis 4 President

Default Re: Dennis 4 President

I'm not totally against Hillary Rodham but it does bother me how easily people are willing to accept nepotism. God, we just had the son of a former president and now they want the wife of a former president. And they call that experience. Why don't we just forget about democracy and make that bulldog on the Canadian coins our president?

Hillary doesn't sound too horrible. I'm not diggin' her intentions to continue the war in Iraq, and I don't really like her tendency to "lawyer" her way around questions or the fact that she voted YES for the Patriot Act.
    But then, I don't really like the way Kucinich presents himself either, he sounds so...politiciany...that's not to say I don't like his responses, I just don't like the way he talks. o.O I realize how that sounds.Heh.
    I won't be completely crestfallen when Hillary wins (ha) it's just that everyone pales in comparison to Kucinich, and not just because he's vegan.
    ...take it to the bridge...

I'm just amazed that you have someone like Kucinich out there - in Australia we don't have anyone to compare with him. Only now and then we've seen Kucinich on the news, but I certainly hope he gets a good vote.
    Eve

Me too Eve. Well you do have the Green Party down there and of course they like to munch on Australian wildlife during their spare time

trudatman

Quote cruelkitti View Post
    ....take for granite....
    classic.

hmm, I didn't realize my grammar was under scrutiny here.

If I must be correct I will rephrase that:

"I try to not take for granted"

I rather like the suggestion that "taking something for granite" means it is solid, will always be there...

Hmmm; not your grammar but perhaps your semantics . . . or would it be pragmatics?

Anyway, I can't believe Dennis didn't get anything yesterday. Arrrrgh!

If I vote, it'll be for Kucinich.

Regardless, I tend to sympathize with that part of me that refuses to vote because it encourages the ridiculous system of "representative" government in the USA. But then I vote anyhow, 'cause clearly, boycotting elections doesn't work here since 70% of the electorate don't vote as it is.

Rather than vote for one evil over a greater evil, I'd rather do some mass action against the ridiculous system that imposes their will on us... I can't think of anything yet. Hopefully a good idea will percolate from someone somewhere soon.
    context is everything

Nobody is interested in Dennis that I know of, the only people I've met that DO like Dennis, I've met through local meetings. And a statewide meeting has only drawn 16 people at most. But the few supporters he has are loyal and hard-headed. At the end of past caucuses, when nearly everyone has ditched their candidate for someone who looks like they have a chance the Kucinich table still held the same amount of supporters as it did when the caucus began.
    I wasn't surprised in the least. I feel pretty much as though I am riding a sinking ship, but I will stick it out. I'll vote in the primaries for Dennis, and when he doesn't make it I probably won't vote for any body else.
    I DO feel as though my vote doesn't matter. Idiots like myself are weeded out by means of electoral college.

for anyone interested Dennis Kucinich will be on the Colbert report tonight!! (tues 8th) cha-CHING!!! hopefully this will get him some much needed exposure...I can't wait...it looks like he might have a good sense of humor...

Ugh.
    That means that Dennis crossed a picket line. (Writers Guild)
    That's a big no-no in my book.
    I think that Dennis just lost my vote.
    context is everything

Oh yeah. I assumed it was settled.

I admit, that IS a little saddening, but how else does he stand a chance without more exposure?!? Grassroots isn't cutting it, people don't want to have to lift a finger to find out more about a candidate that the t.v. won't tell them about. He is rarely invited to debates, he doesn't get exposure at all. Aside from a few people, almost everyone I talk to has no idea who he is.
    If he's going to make a difference at all, he's got to get IN there.
    The Colbert report bumps candidates up, too, according to...well...the Colbert Report. Heh.

I don't know, he still sounds better than everyone else by far.

I have to do some research before my vote is lost to Dennis... but crossing picket lines, unless for some medical emergency, is not something I take lightly. There really isn't a reason to do it other than to weaken a strike.
    context is everything

What do you mean by "crossing the picket line?"
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote cruelkitti View Post
    for anyone interested Dennis Kucinich will be on the Colbert report tonight!! (tues 8th)
    I don't watch TV so is there anyone who actually saw Dennis Kucinich on this show??? I DON'T BELIEVE IT. Sounds like a lie to me.

For those who don't live in the USA, there is a writers strike.

The Democrats I know all like Kucinich, but won't vote for someone who they don't think can win. If "electability" wasn't a criteria we could probably see some good and smart people in office and real differences in the two parties.

Pilaf

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    What do you mean by "crossing the picket line?"
    He entered an establishment where unionized workers were striking, thus undermining their cause.

Can you explain a little more?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Well, there's a chance that dennis didn't cross picket lines after all...the strike started Nov. 4? I am pretty sure it started November 4th, and apparently Kucinich appeared on The Colbert Report around 2 months ago and that show the other night was a rerun (shows you how much I watch t.v.). So, according to that link I posted last night, that show is at least 2 months old.
    I am not concerned about looking like a liar, but if anyone is interested in seeing Kucinich on the Colbert Report here it is http://bravenewfilms.org/blog/16026-...colbert-report

Emzy:
    The writers guild is on strike for all of the late night talk shows. I believe some of them have come to a compromise, but the writers for the shows are pissed off because they aren't being payed for shows being sold on the internet by means of permanent downloads and "electronic sell-through".
    In the future, more and more of these shows will be broadcast on the internet, and the writers want assurance that they'll be payed for their work no matter HOW it's distributed.
    So "picket lines" basically just means that they are standing outside of a building(s) with picket signs trying to get their point across. By Dennis crossing the lines (if he DID cross it while there was a strike) he made an ethical decision to ignore their last chance of trying to get their point across and actually undermine their efforts. HOPEFULLY, though, it's not so...hopefully he appeared on the show BEFORE the strike happened.

You might be right about the 2-month thing.
    I need some show transcripts!

I live in Michigan, so I have to make up my mind to vote for no-one, or Kucinich, or Obama (with a non-committed), or be a spoiler on the Republicans by voting for Ron Paul, or something like that by Tuesday's Primary. Just a few more days.
    context is everything

wow, that's a short time to decide. Obama has become more and more interesting since I've done more of my own research on him.
    I have 'til March 3rd. I don't want to be one who isn't voting for Kucinich because he's not going to win, but I hate to throw a useless vote in there.

Every vote that isn't your conscience is a useless vote. By that account, most people who get elected are useless.

If you are going to vote, at least back it up with conscience intead of trying to play a game.

For me, I feel like I have to be compelled to vote at all. I want to go to the polls and vote "all of your candidates are BS"... and have that counted somehow.
    context is everything

Have you seen this site?

http://www.dehp.net/candidate/

It's a pretty easy way to see which candidates come closest to your own opinions. I got an almost perfect match with Kucinich. Pity Brits can't vote in US elections.

Quote xrodolfox View Post
    I want to go to the polls and vote "all of your candidates are BS"... and have that counted somehow.

I would definitely vote for that one, but I would alter it a bit:

( ) Fuck off.

But I guess yours is probably more acceptable.

Those sound like two perfectly legitimate write in candidates.

Thanks for explaining that in more detail cruelkitti! Some things are slightly different over here that is all.
    So you reckon Dennis will leave America, come here and kick our unelected prime minster out of Downing Street? I'd vote for him....unless he decided he was a conservative in our politics, which I very much doubt. (I will never vote conservative no matter who the leader is because of their promise to repeal the hunting ban and section 28 which made my life an absolute misery when growing up as a gay teenager!)

Quote stardustthecat View Post
    Those sound like two perfectly legitimate write in candidates.
    The problem is that votes like that are counted as "spoiled".

Who really needs to be canvassed for an opinion are the millions who don't ever vote.

This representative (limited) indirect democracy just doesn't work (for me and millions of others).
    context is everything

Ha...most people here*, when asked, will tell you their justification for not giving an ear to Dennis Kucinichs' campaign is that he's too liberal... =^l bleh.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Thanks for explaining that in more detail cruelkitti! Some things are slightly different over here that is all.
    So you reckon Dennis will leave America, come here and kick our unelected prime minster out of Downing Street? I'd vote for him....unless he decided he was a conservative in our politics, which I very much doubt. (I will never vote conservative no matter who the leader is because of their promise to repeal the hunting ban and section 28 which made my life an absolute misery when growing up as a gay teenager!)

Quote xrodolfox View Post
    The problem is that votes like that are counted as "spoiled".
    Casting a spoiled ballot is better than no ballot.

But of course, we don't elect the people who run the economy and if "the people" choose the "wrong" candidate, we'll just be made to pay for our foolishness until we get back in line.

I'm thankful that I'll have a chance to vote for Kucinich in the primary this time. New Jersey used to be dead last to vote in the primary and I didn't even see him on the ballot in 2004.

I knew if I typed that I would jinx it.

yeah IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!! well, I honestly didn't think he had a chance anyways, and he's got other plans, so I guess it makes sense that he quit wasting money on a campaign that's going nowhere.

What a shame.

What are his plans now, Cruelkitti?

Congress

Yes, so all of you in Ohio had better vote for him in the Democratic Congressional Primary on March 4 because he is facing stiff competition.

am most definitely doing

Thank you.

I am still registered to vote in my old city, and couldn't get the day off to go into town for the primaries. I must get to the DMV on my next weekday off.