Thread: Macronutrient Breakdowns

Default Macronutrient Breakdowns

I'm just curious how many people keep track of their protein/ carb/ fat breakdown and caloric intake. Whats your main motivation and do you aim to hit certain macronutrient ranges?

I used to aim for 20% protein/ 60% carbs/ 20% fat but I've given the whole thing a break for about six months. I did my first tracking today - I eat really healthily!! I suppose I can trust myself a little more now!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Tin-Tin

Default Re: Macronutrient Breakdowns

ive never tracked anything i eat
    the only thing i do make sure of is that i eat some veg
    some fruit
    and some protein
    the rest i dont worry about
    i either od or i dont
    and as of yet i havent had anything to worry about
    and when i changed doctor surgeries to go to university
    the nurse said i was perfectly healthy and in the right weight zone

altho im sure that changed with my university lifestyle
    haha
    =P

would be cool to know what other people have have been doing though

see their positives or negatives about "tracking"

Stress will kill you quicker than being 5% off on your macros.

I would personally say 20% protein is high, but if it works for you, then go for it!

yes, both of you are right. i feel better around 15-20% protein, but i probably dont need that much. I've come across a few books encouraging 80/10/10 but I'm afraid that'd be quite low for me.

I used some site to track myself a few weeks ago, right after I went vegan. It looked like everything was fine nutrient-wise, and I hadn't planned my meals that day in anyway, so I figured what I eat is probably fine and haven't tracked myself since.

Yeah, I'm probably fine not tracking... but I wanted to see if I could do the 80/10/10 if I go raw this summer. It seems like a lot o people on raw sites do this, but I'm not sure if that'd be too low for me...

Yeah, if you go raw maybe it would be a good idea to track for a little while just to see if you can do 80/10/10 or whatever proportion you decide is best. I kind of go with the "eat what you feel like eating because you're probably craving whatever nutrient you need" philosophy, but I know that's probably bogus because often I crave chocolate or cookies! Good luck with going raw if you decide too--let me know how it goes because I've always been interested in trying!

Thanks! I've done the "whatever my body craves" thing, but I just dont trust that would work on a raw diet, as humans dont naturally eat 10% fat or 10% protein, probably more like 30%!! I'm getting the book today at the bookstore. I'll be reading that this week, along with buying a sprouter and a food processor. I'm going to slowly transition over the few weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    if I could do the 80/10/10 if I go raw this summer. It seems like a lot o people on raw sites do this,

i haven't read it but the 80/10/10 book by dr doug graham seems quite popular.

It is, but having such an unbalanced ratio has never seemed right to me. Just like the keto diet (5c/45f/50p or so), I can't imagine getting 80% of my cals from carbs. I need 20% protein for lifting and building muscle, and healthy fats are good for you!

I count my macro nutrient breakdown on Daily Plate, along with my calories, for weight loss. I'm getting 30% fat on average. Is that too much? I'm still losing weight, I actually lost 8lbs this month. I've been trying to cut it down to at least 15% but maybe not, since I'm losing weight this way.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    Thanks! I've done the "whatever my body craves" thing, but I just dont trust that would work on a raw diet, as humans dont naturally eat 10% fat or 10% protein, probably more like 30%!! I'm getting the book today at the bookstore. I'll be reading that this week, along with buying a sprouter and a food processor. I'm going to slowly transition over the few weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.
    I tried going raw once for a few days but I did it over night and I didn't have a sprouter or food processor or anything so it didn't go so well...so I'm very curious to hear about your experience!