Thread: Eggs

Default Eggs

Hello. I've only been a vegan since September, so I guess my mother still thinks she has some chance to deconvert me. (Not going to happen though.) She has come up with a clever way of guilt-tripping me though, so I could use some advice on how to counter it: Before I visit, she does a bunch of research and finds egg farms that are apparently very kind to the chickens (cage free, no force molt, ...) and buys them. I can't think of a really good reason not to eat those eggs, but I still don't want to (and have not done so); in the past I have just said that it's pointless to eat them because it's trivial to be a vegan at home (or at my parents' house). But I'd like better reasons. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Default Re: Eggs

Point out that they're high in saturated fat and cholesterol - 2 egg yolks have something like 90% of your maximum daily intake of cholesterol (though don't quote me on that).

Also point out that you think it's immoral to "keep" or "own" animals for own personal gain or selfish pleasure.

hello and welcome to the forum complexzeta!
    eggs is one of those things where a lot of people don't get why i don't eat them. i usually answer the chickens could have had the happiest life in the world, with their own tvs, hammocks, and bmw, but, at the end of the day, the farm still needs to turn a profit, meaning breeding more hens, and thus the male chicks are redundant and are still culled. also, at the end of their productive lives the chickens will still more than likely end up in the very same slaughterhouses their broiler counterparts are horrifically slaughtered in.

oh, and what bryzee says too have a search on the forums under eggs theres a couple of similar threads about, will have a look for you...

here you go... http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370
    Vegan Forum: keeping me sane in the world of the ignorant.

One can find quite graphic pictures of male chicks being disposed of. Ask your mum how these farms get rid of the males, cos you NEVER visit a farm, not the nicest in the world, where there are an equal number of cocks and hens, and they all live their lives out, even after they stop producing eggs.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote twinkle View Post
    One can find quite graphic pictures of male chicks being disposed of. Ask your mum how these farms get rid of the males, cos you NEVER visit a farm, not the nicest in the world, where there are an equal number of cocks and hens, and they all live their lives out, even after they stop producing eggs.
    This is my preferred argument as well...

for the maternal, you could say that left alone in the wild, chickens will lay an egg a day somewhere that they consider nestworthy, returning each day to lay another, then when they have 'enough' for a clutch, sit and incubate them. So when you take away their eggs, you are stealing their growing future brood, so they keep laying and laying because they never have a clutch of eggs to sit on.

I find that incredibly sad

Quote Blue moon View Post
    for the maternal, you could say that left alone in the wild, chickens will lay an egg a day somewhere that they consider nestworthy, returning each day to lay another, then when they have 'enough' for a clutch, sit and incubate them. So when you take away their eggs, you are stealing their growing future brood, so they keep laying and laying because they never have a clutch of eggs to sit on.

I find that incredibly sad
    Aw Blue Moon!! thats so sad, that seriously makes me want to cry...
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Tell your mom that you prefer not to be a chicken parasite.

Domestic chickens have been bred to lay their high-protein, high-fat eggs at an unnaturally high rate. Could this possibly not take a toll on their health? Naturally a chicken could eat those eggs herself to recoup.

And when the chickens' egg-laying passes its peak do they get a retirement? No, they get eaten.

cherrywisp

I guess I'm just lucky because I've never liked eggs, even when I was omni. But I would say if she bought them, why isn't she eating them? I don't think you need another reason not to eat them other than the fact that you don't want to. I have plenty of things I'd rather just completely avoid, and other people will always try to make me eat them but ultimately it's my choice. I think it's weird when people try to control your diet anyway. It's not like I'm trying to force people to eat their veggies

"Thanks but vegans don't eat eggs, mother".
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

When the owner of our coop was trying to get us to buy his happy meat shit....

"we get our eggs from people who take really good care of their chickens. They're like pets to them, they love them so much. They always cry so hard when they stop laying and they have to kill them." :grrrr:
    abolitionistraven.blogspot.com
    thecreativeraven.arbent.net