Thread: Pickle recommendations

Default Pickle recommendations

Dear all,

I quite like gherkins. I find that a plain salad without dressing is too ... plain and leafy for me, but adding sliced and/or chopped gherkins replaces the dressing, as well as adding bulk.

I'm curious to try more pickles, but don't know where to start. Silverskin onions, pickled beetroot, the list goes on. I realise that it's impossible to predict what foods someone else will like. But rather than just starting anywhere, what pickles do other people like?

Default Re: Pickle recommendations

I used to be a pickle fiend! I've rather gone off it in the last few years, but I'm still fond of a good gherkin now and then.

With onions, you can't beat Garners - they're a bit pricier than some, but they taste really similar to the ones my mum used to make when I was a little girl. Me and my uncle would demolish a massive jar of those in one sitting

I think you should have a pickle party! Just get lots of different jars, and crusty bread, hummous, some sausages and salad and you and your family could sample them all!

If you're looking for things to liven up salad, I also like the antipasto things in jars like artichoke hearts in oil and vinegar, olives in oil and lemon, sun dried tomatoes and peppers, mushrooms, that kind of thing...
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Just made a huuuge batch of pickled onions today

I like pickled jalapenos, not in large quantities though, pretty spicy.

piccalilli can be nice, quite a common thing to eat this time of year too.

As for beetroot, I'm of the opinion that all beetroot should be pickled.

BlackCats

Yummy this is making me hungry. I love pickles but I never really buy them that much.

Vavavegan told me that that smoked scheese is good and I would like to try that with some pickle in a sandwich.

I love jalapenos / olives on salads as well, it does seem like a replacement for the salad dressing Ross, I agree.

Twinkle - you should host a pickle party for VF ppl in your mansion.

Did somebody say pickle party !!???

OMG ! I love pickles, gherkins are the best Also good though are beetroot, peppers, piccalilli, red cabbage ! I do love pickled onions but sometimes they give me a headache sadly.

You're on!

I need to find out what's happening with the job but it looks like I'll have my weekends free from now on, unless I'm very unlucky, so pickle party at mine it is!

Risker - have you tried raw grated beetroot with equal amounts of carrot and white cabbage and an oil, lemon, garlic and seasoning dressing over the top? That's a nice way to eat it too! (oh, plus I'm cooking my variant on borscht at the moment since I had a nice bowlful a little while back at the organic juice place here, and that inspired me to attempt it with my vegbox beetroots)

I want some jalepeno pickles!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I only have to think of pickled onions and my mouth waters like mad. No other food has the same effect on me! (Seriously, I'm now drooling over the desk.)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I am finding this thread to be hilarious Pickle party???

I like pickles in burgers, but could never eat a massive amount - a pickle party would certainly be out of the question for me!

No offence Marrers, but your breath must be fresh after a pickled onion feast

Not only that but I drink the 'pickle juice' vinegar - mmn, that's almost the best bit.
    *wonder if her innards are preserved or eaten away*
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

i like those jars of pickled cauliflower, gherkin and silverskin onions in clear vinigar - also ploughmans pickle with sosmix rolls - mmmmmm

Quote Marrers View Post
    Not only that but I drink the 'pickle juice' vinegar - mmn, that's almost the best bit.
    *wonder if her innards are preserved or eaten away*
    LOL I am sure you are very well preserved

I like american style mustard - it tastes exactly like piccalilli juice

Pickled walnuts mmmmmm

Lime pickle mmm

Any sort of pickle really
    I do what I can and that's better than doing nothing

I forgot about lime pickle, aubergine pickles great too

I think lime pickle has to be the most disgusting thing I've ever eaten in my entire life. I tried some in an Indian restaurant once and had to run to the bathroom to throw up.

You're not supposed to eat it on it's own :P It's very strong so you only need a little with your food.

Well, you could've told me that before you fed it to me .

i go crazy for pickled aubergine...all kinds, also pickled pumpkin is good. i've only ever seen thes e in italy...are they popular anywhere else?
    Piggy

Quote Risker View Post
    I forgot about lime pickle, aubergine pickles great too
    oops, didnt see that
    Piggy

Kimchee!

capers in a sauce or pickled horseradish in a sauce are nice too.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

sugarmouse

Default I have a pickle question

why is it that pickled onions don't linger on people's breath as onions usually do? Ihave noticed this when I have had partners that have eaten them, with normal onions the smell is there ages but with pickled onions it seems to go as soon as they brush their teef or whatever.

Peppadew peppers, mmm.
    If you like pickles you can try saving the juice to add to salad dressings. I do, and it's really nice. I never throw leftover pickle juice out so dear one is sometimes grumbling about all the half empty jars of pickle juice in the fridge.
    Bear in mind pickles are very salty so not too healthy to eat large amounts.
    I have made a nice beetroot pickle using cooked beetroot, raw onion, cider vinegar, salt, peppercorns and allspice. Its quite good value for money if you have a cheap source of beetroot.
    Most vegetables can be pickled, it used to be the main way of preserving them before fridges were invented. And the same with the pickle's close relation, the chutney. There are various sites on the net devoted to homemade pickle recipes.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

does anyone have a recipe/link to site of really good instructions to making pickles? i'm specifically interested in onions and aubergines..
    Piggy

Default Re: I have a pickle question

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    why is it that pickled onions don't linger on people's breath as onions usually do? Ihave noticed this when I have had partners that have eaten them, with normal onions the smell is there ages but with pickled onions it seems to go as soon as they brush their teef or whatever.
    i think onions that are cooked very thouroughly don't linger on the breath so much either. it seems to be raw/semi-raw onions that are the worst.

i don't know much about making pickles, but i hear some are made by leaving the vegetable covered with salt for quite a while...i guess that could draw out some evil juices/smells
    Piggy

pavotrouge

I've become rather interested in nimono, japanese pickles, recently. ordered a book of amazon but it'll take them about three months to deliver. anybody got any experiences?

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll be following them up.

I also like the jars of antipasto. Some months ago I had a meal in a restaurant in Brighton. I can't remember the name precisely, but it was something like "waikiki moocow" - but the "moocow" was fashionably misspelled, so I can't google it! I had a platter of antipasto, including sundried tomatoes, and many other things. It really was a nice meal, with a really interesting and nice balance of flavours. I didn't know that fresh tarragon would work so well in a salad. I'll try the pickle juice in salad dressing too. In general, I'll be mining this thread for ideas for quite some time now

I've just had a mini-french bread with sliced tomato, gherkin, and marg. Just that alone is enough to make it a taste sensation IMHO.

Quote RossClement View Post
    Some months ago I had a meal in a restaurant in Brighton. I can't remember the name precisely, but it was something like "waikiki moocow" - but the "moocow" was fashionably misspelled, so I can't google it!
    it's called Waikikamookau.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    I've become rather interested in nimono, japanese pickles, recently. ordered a book of amazon but it'll take them about three months to deliver. anybody got any experiences?
    I've eaten lots of pickles in Japan, as I lived there for four years and wasn't cooking for myself so much then. (This was a long time ago before I was even vegetarian). You've just reminded me that I really liked the pink, thinly sliced, pickled, I think it was ginger. I've had a quick search online, and it was ginger. The following link is a recipe, but I haven't tried it.

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes...ickginger.html

PICKLED TURNIP!

It's pinkish purple and available in Middle Eastern markets and maybe some health food stores/specialty food shops.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote twinkle View Post
    With onions, you can't beat Garners - they're a bit pricier than some, but they taste really similar to the ones my mum used to make when I was a little girl. Me and my uncle would demolish a massive jar of those in one sitting
    Seconded! They're ace. I keep a jar in the fridge at work to have with my lunch.

sugarmouse

Quote Zan View Post
    Pickled walnuts mmmmmm

Lime pickle mmm

Any sort of pickle really

I see pickled walnuts all the timein the market and I always neeeeearly buy some but am never sure I should!

Should I?

I do like pickled onions but then I think eeew theyre a nasty smelly food...I il only eat them if I am not seeing anyone that day lol

pavotrouge

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    PICKLED TURNIP!

It's pinkish purple and available in Middle Eastern markets and maybe some health food stores/specialty food shops.
    yes, that's heaven. I got to know it in a Lebanese restaurant in London last year and have ever since been hooked on Lebanese food.
    You can also make it yourself.

Quote piggy View Post
    i go crazy for pickled aubergine...all kinds, also pickled pumpkin is good. i've only ever seen thes e in italy...are they popular anywhere else?
    pickled pumpkin is heaven. i go through jars of the stuff whenver i visit my parents in germany. i've never seen it in britain
    i love pickled beetroot, but only the german variety - i think the british habit of using malt vinegar masks the flavour of the beetroot completely.
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Quote sugarmouse View Post

I see pickled walnuts all the timein the market and I always neeeeearly buy some but am never sure I should!

Should I?

Yes!!!
    I do what I can and that's better than doing nothing

I now really fancy some gherkins or pickled onions or something.

I am surprised that no-one's mentioned Lily Pickles though.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

BlackCats

Quote Spud Addict View Post
    I am surprised that no-one's mentioned Lily Pickles though.
    I was going to, but I thought people might think I had fallen in love or something.

I really have to stop looking at this thread - it makes me over salivate soooo much as soon as I think of pickles!

Quote Marrers View Post
    I really have to stop looking at this thread - it makes me over salivate soooo much as soon as I think of pickles!
    me too!
    i've already consumed a whole jar of pickled baby onions in during the last few days. and it took a lot of willpower not to steal my flatmates homemade pickled aubergines this weekend
    Piggy

sugarmouse

This thread gives me cravings too!
    What is definedas a 'pickle?'just a food in vinegar? Are olives a 'pickle?'

A pickle is a food which had been preserved in vinegar, usually with salt and spices added at least, but some have a lot more added, such as "Branston's" or Piccalilli
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piccalilli.
    So if you prepared your veg and poured vinegar over it and then ate it it wouldn't count as a pickle.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    yes, that's heaven. I got to know it in a Lebanese restaurant in London last year and have ever since been hooked on Lebanese food.
    You can also make it yourself.
    Yes, I like the homemade kind better. You can control the amount of salt. Even me, a salt lover, sometimes find those pickles too salty!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

pavotrouge

con is that you've got to wait for your homemade ones.