Thread: Food Guide Pyramid

cherrywisp

Default Food Guide Pyramid

I'm new, and I hope this isn't already on the boards somewhere because I couldn't find it, but if it is, let me know

So I've never really been a huge fan of food guide pyramids for any kind of lifestyle,
    but I looked at different vegan food guide pyramids and they all said you need 6-11 servings of whole grains in a day.

If I eat six servings of whole grains I find it hard to even be hungry enough to fit all of my fruit and vegetable servings in there.
    Does anyone else have this problem?

I've tried eating more whole grains for the past couple of days, and I'm not getting as much as I'd like to of anything else.
    I'd say about three servings of whole grains is more likely to fit and let me get the rest of the servings I need.

I guess I could just pig out on stuff to get my servings, but why? I'm not hungry for more. Do any of you have this problem? Do you even really worry about it? Does anyone else eat way more fruits and vegetables than whole grains? I like Ezekiel bread but six slices a day, that's already three sandwiches in addition to everything else I'm eating. Sheesh!

Default Re: Food Guide Pyramid

Hi cherrywisp,
    I don't think the 'food pyramid'-concept is needed for any reason. Out of curiosity - where are the 'vegan food guide pyramids' you refer to? And what are their definitions of a 'serving'?

cherrywisp

Well they're all over the web, but here's one:

http://www.veganfoodpyramid.com/

I think the servings are different based on what you're eating...I look at the "serving size" on rice/bread/beans/frozen veggies, with fruit and fresh veggies I just eyeball it depending on what it is. Usually a cup is a serving, sometimes a half cup if it's like berries?

lchtchtt

Lightbulb Re: Food Guide Pyramid

I'd never seen the vegan food guide pyramid before until a few seconds ago (looking at this thread). When I first saw 6-11 servings I thought DEAR GOD. Trust me, carbohydrates are my favorite and all, but it does seem like a lot. However, think about it: for breakfast I usually have two servings of oats (because one serving is never enough).. that's only 1/2 cup before the y are cooked. And just a moment ago I ate a sandwich, which is two servings of bread. So I already have 4 servings in and it's only 12 in the afternoon. Just throw small serving sizes in here and there, and it's not so bad. Food pyramids are a little silly sometimes, but I think this one is important. We do need more carbs than most to keep our energy levels up.

I feel like the servings add up really quickly. I often have three servings worth of cereal, and snacks like pretzels, popcorn, and crackers count too. I don't really think about how many servings of grains I am getting, because I know they add up, at least for me. Also, if I don't have many servings some days, it will probably balance out with days I am hungrier. But, I'm with you on it being hard to get enough servings of everything... I get full too.

There are various ideas and opinions about what a vegan (or non-vegan) should eat, but making a graphical, pyramid-like representation of one of these theories doesn't make that theory more valid than the others....
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

^ Gotta agree. If you were going to do any sort of graphical representation then I reckon a pie chart of nutrients would be best... but that would be for everyone, not just vegans.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth