Thread: I'm moving to Cyprus!

Cool I'm moving to Cyprus!

In 6 - 12 months I’ll be moving to Cyprus, to live and work. Of course I’m very excited, but also a tad apprehensive due to my veganism. I know there will be plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, but I’m more concerned about other vegan options such as soymilk, egg-replacer, vegan cheese, margarine, veg sausages, etc. I was thinking if I was desperate I could order them over the internet, I’m not sure how strict customs are in Cyprus though. I guess I’ll have to get very use to living off wholefoods only, and get myself prepared to cook everything from scratch (which is healthier, I guess)! I’m also well aware I will have to explain my veganism over and over; fruitlessly! I’m looking at the bright side though; (I’ll be in Europe, and much closer to the UK, where there seems to be ‘bajillions’ of vegans). hehe If only I could get a good job in the UK and cheap accommodation. *keeps dreaming*

I haven't been to Cyprus since I was a child , so I don't actually know how vegan-friendly it will be, I'm pretty sure I'll be the only one on the whole island though. I basically want words of wisdom from people who have lived or recently been to Cyprus, about how to live a fulfilled vegan life there, eg:

- examples of nutritious meals that use limited ingredients
    - places that are good to shop in Cyprus
    - customs information
    - how to not slap people that derogatively question veganism, etc.

If there happens by some miracle to be a vegan already living in Cyprus or even anyone going on hoilday there, let me know, as I'm sure I'll feel very lonely and isolated there at times...
    Last edited by Korn; Aug 19th, 2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: removed font/size code...
    Live honourably by becoming what you pretend to be. - Socrates

Default Re: I'm moving to Cyprus!

Sorry if this is too late! I was in both Northern and Southern Cyprus in the last few weeks. In Paphos, the Debenhams food hall and some resort shops - eg the Aphrodite Hills, has plenty of soya milk and foods. Humous is available in both north and south Cyprus. I had a wonderful bespoke vegan main dinner created for me in Northern Cyprus in the Gardens of Irini restaurant, Bellapais. Tell the owner, Deirdre, my name and you will get a small discount

Geoff
    webbie geoffnelder DOT com
    my sci fi book has a vegan geoffnelder/exitbee.htm

Hi Strudel,

Did you make it over to Cyprus, if so which part did you end up in?
    i'm over in Paphos.

Di

Hi there, Di.
    I couldn't find a health food shop in Paphos in March this year. Do you know of one or two? I found soya milk and soy yogs, etc in the small site shop at Aphrodite Hills

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

There's a health shop in Chlorakas in paphos, its a bit small, to be honest if i need anything i order it off the internet, or stock up when i'm in the uk, there's also a good supermarket called papantoniou which has a good selection of dried beans, soya mince and flours etc, but for fresh produce there is very little to offer, we can get silken tofu and almond, rice and soy milk but thats about it. i'm stating to make my own fresh tofu, soya ice cream etc.

how often come out?

Di

I won't be out to Cyprus again until Easter 09 when another residential writers week takes place. One of our members lives in Paphos and he is on the hunt for a large house, hostel or small complex to house 10 or so of us. This year I was the only vegan in the group, but hey ho, maybe my meals inspired some.

Geoff

i know of a group of house's that are for renting, they're on the way to coral bay, also my brother inlaw has a rental agency, just pm me if you need any help.

i also enjoy writing, mind you i've gone a bit brain dead on with the book i'm working on at the mo,

Di

I wonder whatever happened to Essy and her sister. I liked them.

It's really easy to find vegan friendly food here because a huge portion of the population go on religious fasts several times a year. Even McDonalds has a vegan menu because of this.

I'm a raw vegan, so I only eat fresh fruit and veg, but before I went raw, I had no trouble finding pre-packaged vegan food.

The bad thing about Cyprus is how hard organic food is to come by. I prefer to grow my own food to avoid all the cancerous pesticides, but that gets really hard in the winter, and the recent water shortages mean I'm not even legally allowed to water my garden.

And the other bad thing about Cyprus is obviously the rampant animal cruelty, extreme over-hunting and trapping and casual malicious pet poisonings.
    bubsandbaxter.com
    For people-hating pound-pets.

Hi there eeplox,

Where about's in Cyprus are you?

Di

Larnaca.
    bubsandbaxter.com
    For people-hating pound-pets.

I never ended up going.
    Stayed in Australia and studied instead. - 'Cause I'm cool like that. Haha.
    Going there on holiday at the end of the year though, to visit family. Can't wait, haven't been on a REAL holiday in a million years.
    Thanks for all the info though.
    Live honourably by becoming what you pretend to be. - Socrates

Essy, you crease me up! Ha ha. All this thread is for your moving to Cyprus and you never went!

Di, are you writing again yet? If you want a writing buddy just send me a message.
    Eeplox, I'm mostly raw vegan at the moment. I spoon hummus on my broccoli salad. Not sure if its eating 95% that makes me feel good and helping me lose excess fat, or the absence of bread that often bloats me.

I enjoyed a week on the west coast last year. Cycled the Akamas - wonderful. I wrote a piece about it to be published in Cycling World later this year. Easy to eat out in Agios Georgios - Greek salad (hold the feta) - but of course it would likely not be organic.

Geoff