Thread: Sausage roll recipe please?

Default Sausage roll recipe please?

I said I'd take sausage rolls to a friend's birthday party and now I'm thinking it might be nice to make the filling with vegetables and other natural stuff rather than the usual Sosmix or commercial sausages.

So I just wondered if anyone had a tried-and-tested recipe please? I saw one in The Vegan magazine a while ago but don't seem to have kept it.

Default Re: Sausage roll recipe please?

I've used nut roast mixture in sausage rolls and it's lovely. You could just use your favourite nut roast recipe.

That's a good idea, thanks, Cherry - and I wouldn't have to worry about the nut roast not sticking together, for once.

Only thing was I was going to do a mushroom and nut pate, but perhaps I'll use beans instead of nuts in that. Or chestnuts, they're not much like nuts are they

Last edited by eco; Dec 3rd, 2007 at 03:12 PM. Reason: only posted part of the recipe - doh!

The sausage roll recipe was in the winter 2006 vegan mag, here it is:

4 medium carrots
    1 large head of brocolli
    240g tinned kidney beans
    200g firm silken tofu
    3 tbsp sunflower seeds
    3 tbsp pumpkin seeds
    50g pecans, roughly chopped
    1 tbsp fresh chopped parlsey
    2 tsp mixed dried herbs
    1 large onion
    4 cloves garlic
    1 dstsp olive oil
    1 medium portabello mushroom, diced
    2 x 500g puff pastry
    vegetable oil for greasing
    soya milk for glazing

Peal and slice the carrots, chop brocolli into small florets. Place in a saucepan of boiling water with carrots and cook until tender and then roughly mash them.

Partly mash the beans in a bowl and add the mashed vegetables.

Finely chop the seeds in a food processor and add to the veg and beans along with the pecans and herbs. Mix well.

Finely chop the onion and garlic, fry gently for about 3 minutes, add the mushrooms and fry for a further 3 minutes. Add the mixture to the bowl and stir well to create the filling.

Roll the first 500g portion of puff pastry out into a square approximately 36cm x 36cm. Cut the sheet into 3 equal strips. Place one sixth of the filling in a sausage shape centrally all the way down each of the strips. Wet one of the edges with a little water. Then, for each strip, roll the pastry up from the opposite side, over the filling and on to the moistened edge, to make a long roll. Cut each roll into 4, 6 or 8 sausage rolls, depending on the size you prefer. Roll out the second portion of puff pastry and repeat.

Place the rolls on a lightly greased baking sheet and brush the tops of the rolls with soya milk. Bake at 220c for about 15 minutes, until golden.

Fantastic, thanks so much ecoanimal - I really appreciate that.

I think I'll give that one a try although I'll have to keep quiet about the silken tofu as the birthday "girl" has a bit of a prejudice against tofu

Quote harpy View Post
    Fantastic, thanks so much ecoanimal - I really appreciate that.
    Yer very welcome

Quote harpy View Post
    I think I'll give that one a try although I'll have to keep quiet about the silken tofu as the birthday "girl" has a bit of a prejudice against tofu
    Ha ha! What she doesn't know won't hurt her

Indeed, plus it's mainly the texture she thinks she doesn't like, and I doubt if that will be detectable by the time it's all mashed up with other stuff.

Thanks again - I'll let you know how they turn out.

Quote harpy View Post
    Thanks again - I'll let you know how they turn out.
    I'd like to know what you think of them. Despite the fact that they sound pretty tasty they're a bit too much of a faff for me to be bothered with to be honest, especially as it takes seconds to bung a few Linda McCartney's in the oven.

Agreed, but as it's for someone else's party I thought I'd better mortify the flesh a bit...

I was going to say nut roast too, maybe with a bit of grated carrot and mushrooms added in to make it a bit more moist.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

That recipe is a bit like nut roast AAMOF isn't it?

I wouldn't normally cook vegetables that long but I'll make an exception

I made these according to the recipe kindly posted by ecoanimal yesterday and they turned out very well, so thanks again, ecoanimal and all who advised. Most of those I took to the party got eaten even though there was far too much food overall really.

For once I followed the recipe faithfully though I did use borlotti beans as I couldn't find the kidney beans and steamed the veg instead of boiling. I also foodprocessed the mushrooms and onions briefly before adding the mixture. And the tofu didn't seem to get a mention so I just mashed that in at the end.

I think if I make them again (and I probably will) I might add a dash of soy sauce or Braggs' whatits to the filling to give it a bit of extra "body" but it was already quite tasty and sausage-y, though not in a way that you would mistake for meat.

It wasn't as much trouble as you would think, and it does make a large quantity - I only took about 3/4 to the party and now have got some in the freezer

I'm pleased the sausage rolls were a success, harpy. I think you should make all Vegan Forumers some for christmas

I could probably feed everyone here with the ones I've still got in the freezer - it is quite a generous recipe.