Thread: Weaning advice

Default Weaning advice

Hello

We're just about to start weaning our little boy, is there any advice you could give us? Yesterday I pureed some carrots up and he's eaten a few spoons of those today. He's also having baby rice mixed with breast milk, and is still feeding from his mum as normal.

Is there anything we need to be looking out for when he's fully established? B12? Iodine? Omega-3?

Many thanks!
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Default Re: Weaning advice

I think you'd be good to check with your pediatrician as you do this.

We have two kids, and both eat solid foods (considering 99% of 4 year olds eat solids, as do most 1.8 year olds), but one one of our kids is weaned.

I think what foods your kid eats depends on a host of factors: like age of your boy, general diet, body mass index, etc. Those are things that only your doctor or nutritionist can help with.

We do give our kids vitamins, but that is not the basis of their diet, and they are past pureed foods. Our kids ate avocado, carrots, artichokes, spinach (only my daughter), pasta, and of course, anything with sugar (my son's favorite). Each kid eats differently. We also don't cut back on any fats and give them as many opportunities for eating as possible. Vegans needs a lot of volume of food for similar calories as omnivores... so no holding back on eating.

But you really should check with your doctor. Your son is much younger, and thus there is a lot less room for error. An oder kid is just a lot harder to mess up.

Good luck!

PS. If you don't like your doctor's reponse, go seek a second opinion. We checked out 3 pediatricians before we settled on our vegetarian doctors (who are quite vegan friendly).
    context is everything

Default Re: Weaning advice

Cheers

I found a good link on the Vegan Society page but we will seek advice with the doctor too, I went for a B12 check a while ago and he didn't jump out the window when I said I was vegan

I suppose it's helpful to know other people have done the same thing.
    I bet Yoda was a vegan