Thread: Natural remedies to insomnia?

Default Natural remedies to insomnia?

I had a pretty bad sleep disorder my last year of high school, and now I'm not sleeping well again. I wake up frequently during the night and never feel rested, no matter how long I am laying down. I think I may try some chamomile and mint teas, but does anyone have any other natural remedies? Things to eat and/or drink? I'd like to not be on sleep-aids, so your help is appreciated! Anyone else who has sleep disorders, please offer your stories, support, and ideas.

Default Re: Natural remedies to insomnia?

Hi, I've always been told that hot milk helps sleep and doing a bit of googling, I find it is the calcium that does the trick. So eating or drinking stuff which is high in calcium might help you get a good sleep. This website http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T042400.asp recommends food which is high in calcium with a little protein to aid sleep. Some of the suggestions are vegan. I hope that will give you some ideas.

My own problems with sleep are like your's in that I wake up during the night and lie there too sleepy to get up but unable to fall back to sleep. I just try not to get worried about it and take things a little easier the following day. I have found that regular exercise helps and not trying to make up for lost sleep. Perversely the more I sleep, the less well I sleep, so I try to keep it to 7.5 hours which is what suits me.

If you google "sleep hygiene" you will find a lot of information on how to manage poor sleep without resorting to medication, which should only be used as a last resort.

Best of luck with getting some good quality sleep.

I like to take a hot shower and then read a book, it puts me right to sleep.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Valerian tea's supposed to work, the ought to have it in your local healthy stuff store. Btw, I should get into that too.

oooh, valerian root is well stinky..i bought some a while ago when i was having really bad sleeping troubles, but couldn't face doing anything with it.

camomile tea is good..nice and strong..get the dried flowers and make up in a teapot..i'm sure the routine of steeping is as comforting as the tea itself.

also build up a very calming routine if possible..so, a warm but not too hot bath, maybe with lavender essential oil..other good oils for insomnia would be geranium,mandarin, petitgrain, ylang ylang, neroli, basil, yarrow, rose..have a google about or try and get hold of a book from your library..or pm me if you fancy a long page of babble about oils ..you want oils with calming sedative qualities..on that note i wouldn't recommend drinking peppermint tea before trying to sleep? seems that stuff is good for digestive thingimabobbies but sleeping??

erm..wouldn't suggest excersing (sorry for the hideous spelling of this word) to close to your bedtime..and try and keep your pre bedtime routine reeeally boring. darkened room..not too cold/warm..all the predictable stuff really...no caffeine..no booze *sobs*

also i used to use some really good hypnotherapy cds..i forget the name of the guy *goes to scrabble around under the desk to find the cd cover*

ah..the fella is called glenn harrold..he does a massive range of stuff

http://www.hypnosisaudio.com/

it might not be your thing..but there's a link. tbh when i first started listening i thought it was quite funny..cos the guy has a deeply boomy then slowly yawny london accent and um..i dunno.i'm a northerner..just amused me ..but after a few listens i was dozing before the end. EDIT - the guy drones on and on ..left brain right brain subliminal chunterings

*go to sleeeeeeeeep....you are sleeeepy*

these days i still wake up once or more times in the night, but i can relax enough to get back to sleep without any problems. i think if you can get to that point, even though you're waking up, you still feel sort of rested come the morning. cos there's nothing worse than have a truly crap nights sleep..and repeated crap nights sleeps.. it's AWFUL

goodluck ymber
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

I've heard that a cal/mag supplement can help.

first i'd suggest having a think about anything in your life which may be contributing to the sleep upset; has anything changed? anything similar going on to when you experienced it before?

it's also important not to get too stressed about the lack of sleep and tiredness during the day, easy to say i know, but i have experienced it. however long the period of unrest lasts, it WILL eventually pass, as your body naturally wants and needs to rest.

search your mind for any worries, anxieties etc you may have?

good luck - hope it sorts itself out.

I was having a lot of trouble sleeping a few months ago, when I was going through a particularly difficult stage of life.

I found valerian capsules (veggie caps of course) worked well. But I found that liquid melatonin worked even better. Melatonin should only be taken as directed though.

emmapresley, you are right to warn against exercise too close to bedtime - I didn't make it clear that I exercise regularly in the mornings and that seems to help me get a good sleep at night - exercising in the evening would just keep me awake. But maybe some stretching or tai chi might help some people calm down a bit if they find it hard to unwind.

Thanks for your responses. It's a huge help to me. I love hearing other people's suggestions I hope everyone else with sleep problems takes some of this advice as well and you all get better!

good thinking anneCE

good luck ymber..do hope things settle and your sleeps evolves into a better pattern that leaves you rested and chipper
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

I take Boiron brand coffea cruda, and melatonin, valerian root, and chamomile tea. They all seem to help. Just go down to your local health food store and try out some herbal remedies. I also take a powerful prescription for sleeplessness called Restoril. I do not recommend prescription sleeping pills because most of them are highly addictive. If my insomnia was not so severe and complicated by restless leg syndrome I would stick solely to natural remedies.
    Good luck!

Sex always works for me, but mostly if I keep to an exercise routine I have no problem sleeping.

Reading can help, but also exercises your mind which may wake you up. Chamomile tea would be my suggestion...

[quote=Ymber;395324]I had a pretty bad sleep disorder my last year of high school, and now I'm not sleeping well again./quote]

Could it be stress related, something like exams, a new job, something winding you up?
    Think about what was making you stressed in the last year of school and how you dealt with it, then apply that to your current situation. Also google sleep hygiene for general sleep advice.
    In general, avoiding caffiene, nicotine, night time blood sugar falls and excess stress are the most important imo.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Lavender essential oil on the pillow helps a lot.

Sometimes I enjoy insomnia though, I get things done.