Thread: home made cheeze

Default home made cheeze

Has anybody made any? Got any recipes to share?

I've never made cheeze at home, but have perfected my tofu, so am ready for a new challenge

Default Re: home made cheeze

I bought the Uncheese cookbook and have made the mozzarella type cheese and did not like it. I also made a crock/nacho type cheese, and thinking everybody would love it, I doubled the batch. Big mistake. I was the only one who liked it and ended up eating nachos for 3 days. I'm going to try out a few more recipes and if I find one I like, I'll post it.

Thank you Sponge

I would soooo love to be able to make my own almost cheese!!!

http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com/2006...heese-dip.html

I made this and I found it worked great for nachos. I topped them off with tomatoes, olives, taco "meat" made with veggie burger, and vegan sour cream.

it's funny that you didn't like some of the cheeses that you made from the uncheese cookbook; i made some and i really enjoyed all of them. they don't really taste the same but they still taste good and it's nice to have a stand-in that works.
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote moochbabe View Post
    it's funny that you didn't like some of the cheeses that you made from the uncheese cookbook; i made some and i really enjoyed all of them. they don't really taste the same but they still taste good and it's nice to have a stand-in that works.
    If I would drag the cookbook out and make some of the un-cheeses, I would probably find a many I would like. I'm notorious for buying a cookbook, loving it, and then doing nothing in it! Just yesterday, I found a forgotten jar of 'Instant Cheese-It' powder that I made from that cookbook in my freezer. Yet I hadn't actually tried it yet. So I'm sure there are wonderful recipes that I just need to cook.

lol that sounds a lot like me too!
    Peace Love Surf.

Try the potatoe, carrot and onion cheese that uses nutritional yeast flakes. I think it is probably the best in the book and great for a cheap sauce for lasagne ( and similar) which means you can save the cheezly for sarnies etc. I tried a few and should probably find the book. Moved house recently and dont know where anything is so i cant tell you what the recipe is called but it is brilliant. You basically boil onion, carrot & spud and puree with the yeast flakes. Very cheesey!

This is my favorite vegan "queso"/"cheeze" sauce:

1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
    1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
    1 tsp Paprika
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1/2 tsp Garlic
    1 1/2 Tbs Vegan Margarine
    1 cup Water

1. Combine dry ingredients in a sauce pan.

2. Add water. Whisk constantly over medium heat until the mixture is well incorporated. (If you don't whisk constantly, it may come out lumpy.)

3. Add margarine. Whisk until combined.

I modified it from a recipe I found online. The original recipe used more salt, more margarine (health conscious, I reduced it and found it just as good) and some salsa or rotel, but I use salsa separately, so I don't put it in the sauce.

This is excellent on nachos, tacos and burritos! The three others I know who've tried it loved it too. In my mate Zlato's words, "The more 'queso', the better!" Wow, I'm drooling.

Hehe - that sounds yummy

Ok I got this from a Gillian McKeith have never tried it, so if you do, let me know how it comes out. You can also make variations by adding chili, garlic etc.

2 cups sunflower seeds
    1 cup sesame seeds
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2-4 tbsp water

1. Soak the seeds for 8-12 hours
    2. Blend mixture for 4 minutes
    3. Strain mixture though cheesecloth, the more you squeeze the firmer it will be
    4. Serve immediately

I'm lost... is it the squeezings that get thrown out or eaten?

Is the soaking only with 2-4 tbsp water?

I really want to give this a go as I am advising on recipes for a new vegan cafe here in Beijing: fake cheeses not available at all. Nutritional yeast fairly expensive. Nuts and seeds and all manner of soy cheap and good.

If I can come up with a cheeze that works then Toasted sandwiches are on the menu!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

no, you soak in an adequete amount of water and drain, the 2-4 tbsp water gets added to the mix that you blend... i assume that the squeezed liquid is discarded as the more you squeeze, the firmer it is..
    nutritional yeast isnt that expensive here, but i suppose in China you have import costs etc.
    the best thing to do is experiment. if i had the time and money i would try and develop homemade rice cheese and chocolate (i'm becoming a bit anti soy these days). try and find the ingredients for branded vegan cheeses and take it from there. i'm not sure if it's the same for all countries, but in the uk ingredients here are listed from greatest amount to smallest amount, so that should give you some idea of amounts..

Thanks! I will experiment.

Instead of nutritional yeast, there is stinky tofu for that fermented flavour. Dice sized cubes that are a bit like those Japanese fermented plums in flavour (uomi?) plus a bit whiffy.
    For additional acid (most cheese is quite tart) I will try the local chemist...
    Malic acid, lactic acid and ascorbic would work if I can get translated.

This is a worthwhile project as DAIRY has caught on in a big way recently. All part of the growing (obese) affluence, sadly.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Living in Brazil I cannot get any decent fake cheese made nationally and can't order the good stuff online because there's no place that ships the melty cheese abroad. So I'm left with trying to work out recipes at home, which doesn't always go well (hmm, doesn't go well most of the time...) and I really need good recipes for that...
    I tried making pizza with tofu-based cheese and it tasted horrible. The recipe for tofu cheese I have is just dreadful. So I made up a sort of pizza sauce with which I'm making all my pizza's lately, but it's not nearly cheese (a combination of misso, tahini and tomato sauce which does taste very yummy, but it's not in a "traditional creamy cheese in a traditional pizza" style).