Thread: Melting 'Cheese'?

Default Melting 'Cheese'?

Hey
    I heard through the grape vine u can get 'melting cheese' ??

I've never been a big fan of cheese. In fact since going vegan I've tried but one Vegan Cheese. It was Cheezly Cheddar thing. Which I thought was horrible. Tried melting it on my jacket potato but it just kinda.... burnt (i'm useless!!! lol)

But does anyone know a nice tasting 'cheese' that will melt?
    Or a good 'cheese' to have on pizza?

Thanks for your help! :-D

Default Re: Melting 'Cheese'?

Try Cheezly Supermelting Mozzarella.

the tofutti slices melt too. occasionally you can get the cheezly edam or gouda which melt too - thought they're rarer than the mozarella. You can usually get that at holland and barrett.

it's great in toasties.

animaladvocate

Quote Enchantress View Post
    Try Cheezly Supermelting Mozzarella.
    Here, here!

Quote animaladvocate View Post
    Here, here!
    I find it does melt eventually, but you need to acheive a temperature roughly equivalent to the core of the Sun
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

A few days ago, on Thrusday, I bought two bricks of 'Vegan Gourmet' cheese alternative, one cheddar-like and one mozzarella-like. I tried slicing the 'raw' (i.e. unmelted) cheddar and putting it on crackers, but for me it tasted too soft and slimy. I then tried shredding the cheddar and putting it on some tortilla chips for nachos. It took about 45 seconds in the microwave to melt all of the cheese. The resulting nachos tasted unbelievably awesome. It was better than I had expected and tasted good enough to have frequently.

Last night I tried making mini pizzas with plain bagels, some store bought pizza sauce and the mozzarella flavor cheese alternative. A few minutes in the toaster oven and it was done. Again, the taste was better than I expected.

Quote Jiffy View Post
    I find it does melt eventually, but you need to acheive a temperature roughly equivalent to the core of the Sun
    What, you have difficulty getting the "super-melting" one to melt, do you? I don't, but I do find that it doesn't behave quite like dairy cheese when it melts - you may need to spread it with a knife once it's hot to achieve the desired effect on, say, pizza.

<3veg<3

When I make pizza I put the broiler on for a few minutes at the very end which melts the cheese. Otherwise it never melts, although tastes just as good.

that Vegan Gourmet cheese is amazing. i use the mozzarella for pizzas & lasagne & all sorts of italian foods. i use the pepper jack flavor for tacos & burritos. it's almost too good to be true. it doesn't turn to rubber 30 seconds after it melts and has such good flavor. i was even able to make a grilled cheese sandwich with tomatoes. incredible.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

Quote harpy View Post
    What, you have difficulty getting the "super-melting" one to melt, do you? I don't, but I do find that it doesn't behave quite like dairy cheese when it melts - you may need to spread it with a knife once it's hot to achieve the desired effect on, say, pizza.
    i love the super melting stuff, esp the mozzerella!
    i find it easy to melt, but it always seem to shrink...so you end up with one bit in the middle of your piece of toast! so spreading it out is definitely good advice!

I like the Vegan Gourmet for melting too. My favourite vegan cheese is Sheese, but unfortunately it's no good for melting.

there's some vegan rice cheese that melts beautifully and it tastes great! the only problem is that it doesn't come in block form only slices so you can't grate it (unless anyone has suggestions for grating sliced cheese??)
    Peace Love Surf.

Zero

I think it is very easy to overcook it, and then it just turns hard, I found that out with the first vegan pizza I made with "cheese".

Most of it doesn't melt like cheese at all, I haven't tried the stuff that is made for melting though.

Zero

Quote moochbabe View Post
    there's some vegan rice cheese that melts beautifully and it tastes great! the only problem is that it doesn't come in block form only slices so you can't grate it (unless anyone has suggestions for grating sliced cheese??)
    Oh yeah, I had those ages ago, I had forgetten, the slices that are indvidually wrapped, they work ok.

I didn't like the rice cheese too much...i think im thinking about the same thing as youre talking about
    "Beauty is within"

Zero

Quote ericajones80 View Post
    I didn't like the rice cheese too much...i think im thinking about the same thing as youre talking about
    I think the kind I had was soy. Don't remember thought now.

JC

mmmm......melting mozzarella and baked beans toastie - my fave!!

Quote Roxy View Post
    I like the Vegan Gourmet for melting too. My favourite vegan cheese is Sheese, but unfortunately it's no good for melting.
    Twins!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Jiffy View Post

If you drizzle olive oil on top of the whole pizza it does melt. Assuming ofcourse its pizza you want to make!
    Last edited by brackentracy; Feb 1st, 2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typo