Default Calzoni - Heavenly!

From Nonna's Italian Kitchen by Bryanna Clark Grogan

Make white sauce 2 or 3 hours ahead of time bake

Make crust 1 or 2 hours ahead of time to bake

White Sauce

1 c. soymilk or rice milk
    1/2 c. crumbled extra-firm silken or regular medium-firm tofu
    1/2 c. water
    1 chicken-style vegetarian broth cube, crumbled (enough for 1 c. liquid) [I used vegetable flavor for obvious reasons]
    1/2 tsp. salt

2 T. margarine or extra-virgin olive oil
    1 1/2 to 3 T. unbleached flour (use 3 T.)
    Large pinch nutmeg
    Large pinch white pepper

Place first five ingredients in a processor and blend until smooth. Set aside. In a medium saucepan, melt the margarine and whisk in the flour. Continue whisking over medium-high heat for a few minutes but remove from heat prior to the mixture changing color. Scape this mixture into the processor with the rest of the ingredients and process. Pour mixture back into the pot and heat over medium-high heat until it thickens and boils (watch it carefully!), stirring frequently. Turn down the heat to simmer for a few minutes. Whisk in the nutmeg and pepper. Store in refrigerator.

Crust, Artichoke's Whole-Wheat Version
    4 c. whole-wheat flour
    pinch of salt
    2 T. yeast (2 packages)
    1 3/4 c. warm water

Mix ingredients together to make a dough consistency. Add last few quarter-cups of water slowly and for desired dough texture. Let rise in a warm place for 1 to 2 hours.

Pizza Sauce, for Dipping!
    This can be made while the calzonis are cooking. I doubled it for lots of sauce but didn't double the olive oil amount.

Makes 2 c.

2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 lb. fresh ripe plum tomatoes, chopped, or 1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, chopped, or diced tomatoes, with their juice
    1/4 tsp. salt
    Black pepper, to taste

Heat the olive oil in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add the garlic for one minute and then add the tomatoes and their juice. Add the salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, uncovered, for about 10 min. Can be run through a food mill or processor briefly for a smoother sauce, or leave as-is for chunky!

Calzoni
    Makes 2 calzonis

Preheat oven to 450 F. Split the dough in half and roll out to fit pizza pan for both. Place half of the dough in a single pizza pan, without folding over the dough, using wax paper to separate the two (they will stick together!). Repeat on the other side, so that you will have two calzonis on one pizza pan, using wax paper as a separater. You will fill one at a time.

Use your choice of fillings in the calzoni, such as soy products, sauteed onions, artichokes, roasted red peppers, fresh tomatoes, eggplant or zucchini (grilled), greens or broccoli, and or mushrooms. Add 1 c. of the white sauce for each calzoni. Drizzle 1 T. of olive oil over the white sauce. Make sure to leave 1/2 inch between the fillings and the edge. Add spices, such as oregano, basil, and parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste. Fold over the other half of the dough on the first calzoni, and seal the edge. Also slice about three holes in the top of the dough to vent. Repeat with the other side. Brush olive oil or use olive oil spray on the top of the calzonis.

Bake for 20 min. Serve with pizza sauce. Enjoy!

(I used spinach, tomatoes, red peppers, and white sauce.)

Is anyone going to make this? I will put more veggies in it next time. I put about 2 c. per calzoni, but they really baked down some.

im not understanding quite how to roll out the dough. what shape do u want it? about how many inches wide? and i dont understand how to put the wax paper between the two peices of dough, can u explain that a little more clear? also, what consistency do u want the dough. sticky? not sticky? etc. because i have to use rice flour and it uses more water then recipes call for for wheat flour, since its so dry, so it would help if i knew what consistency it needed to be. thanx
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Tina,

You roll the dough into a circular, 12- to 14-inch shape, depending on the size of your pan, so that you will have two 12- to 14-inch pizza doughs.

The wax paper thing is so that you don't have the dough folded over, touching each other, thus sticking together, prior to adding the ingredients. So if, when you make it, you keep in mind that you will need about three 5-inch-long pieces of parchment paper ready, that will help, and I think when you make it, it will become clearer. Just don't let the dough fold over onto another piece (or the same piece w/o filling inside yet) w/o the parchment paper.

You want the dough to be not sticky. You will probably need additional flour for that purpose. You should easily be able to pick it up off of wherever you have rolled it at and be able to place it on the pan w/o it sticking to your hands.

thanx artichoke.

what does the white sauce taste like?

Like a cross between alfredo sauce and white country gravy, I think. You need a lot of paprika to get more flavor.

You're welcome.

Tina, you can also make just one calzoni, which would be one crust folded over.

Tonight I made a calzoni with cheese, broccoli, red onion, and cauliflower. It was soooo good!

would it work if u put a little pizza sauce inside the calzoni aswell? lol sorry for asking so many questions.

Depends on the sauce. For thicker sauce, it would be fine, but you don't want it to be too watery, or the calzoni will be soggy and you might possibly have raw dough. You can put vegetables and cheese sauce in it and then dip it in pizza sauce. I think that's what people commonly do here.

No apology necessary! I'm happy to help.

My avatar is the calzoni I had tonight. Unfortunately, the picture has to be so small, but it was soooooo good.

mmm that looks good. i added garlic and nutritional yeast to the sauce to make it more cheesy. im still waiting for the dough to rise im going to use onions, sundried tomatoes, green peppers and mushrooms in my calzoni

Oh, that sounds good. I hope you like it!

Picture of onion, broccoli, cauliflower, and cheese calzone.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

That calzone looks yummy, I do miss them. If I'm ever motivated, I might try this recipe , thanks.

Yeah me too - I am SUCH a bad baker - but maybe one day when I am bored I will try it

hmmm i tried this and it didnt work out at all.

with brown rice flour, its very flimsy and breaks easily (rice flour always does that and it makes me very cranky) so that was annoying, folding it over was hell. amongst the fact that it was wayyyy too big for me, i would have rather made small ones. and in the end there was too much dough and not enough middle. all i could taste was the dough. i had to throw it out

I'm sorry it didn't work out, Tina. The first time I made it, I didn't have enough veggies ready to put into the middle, but the second time, I fixed that. And of course there are leftovers. Eating one calzoni is like eating a whole large pizza.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com