Thread: RSPCA endorsing co-op turkeys

Default RSPCA endorsing co-op turkeys

A google search shows that this may not be new news, but I've just seen the advert and it has absolutely outraged me! I immediately got my letter writing head on, but am not sure whether it's even worth it
    The advert is co-op advertising their Christmas turkeys, saying that they are endorsed by the RSPCA. I just read about it here and here.
    I am so annoyed - how can a charity that are supposed to PROTECT animals against cruelty be saying that rearing and killing all these birds for meat is OK? I know their point is about welfare standards, but really, are ANY standards OK? They'd be protecting them from cruelty by not encouraging people to buy them
    The welfare standards don't even look all that great anyway...twice as much room for the turkeys - I'm sure that won't make any difference....straw bales and perches to promote activity and leg strength - the weight of their bodies will still cripple the bones anyway....

UGH! I am so angry! Does anyone think it's worth writing to the RSPCA about this? Or does anyone know of a petition already set up about it?

Stu

Default Re: RSPCA endorsing co-op turkeys

I'm totally with you on this, Emmy.

I suppose that from the RSPCA's point of view, the point is that buying a Co-Op turkey is the lesser evil. Although at the same time, the word 'endorse' doesn't really suggest that. It seems to imply that buying a Co-Op turkey is a good thing.

I've never been able to take the RSPCA seriously. They seem to share the same mentality as your average British person. I.e, it's OK to care about animals - in certain contexts. So a cow or a chicken doesn't really matter to people, but your pet labrador is deserving of better standards of health etc. At the end of the day, people prioritise the wellbeing of animals that 'entertain' us in one way or another.

Sorry; I've gone off on a bit of a tangent there.