Thread: Our household vegan adventure

Default Our household vegan adventure

Okay, so I'm the only vegan in my household but...they've all agreed to trial it for one month (to commence in the new year).
    One of my flatmates wants to do it to lose weight (she's an omni), one is a 'vegetarian' who eats fish and is allergic to dairy (?), the other is an omni who wants to eat less processed food and junk (of which she consumes alot).

So now the question is, what do we eat together next month?

I thought I'd throw this out there for some feedback from all you lovely vegan folk as I will be planning a menu sometime next week: What would you serve your omni flatmates to start out with? What do I need to take into consideration with my weightloss flatmate? To meat analogue or not to meat analogue?

Planning suggestions and meal ideas greatly appreciated!
    If I didn't say it, don't assume it.

Default Re: Our household vegan adventure

Wow, that's fantastic. I hope you make some converts.

I would go for plenty of variety to win them over. Perhaps you could try different ethnic foods - do Mexican one day, Greek the next, Indian, etc. There are loads of vegan websites with great recipes out there.

I would be inclined to leave the meat analogues out for the first few days. They may like them, but most omnis would regard them as inferior to "the real thing".

I think your flatmate will lose weight so long as you don't give them too much vegan cake, ice cream etc.

Quote akaredarcher View Post
    one is a 'vegetarian' who eats fish
    Pescetarian.

I wouldn't give fake meats to someone I was encouraging to be vegan, it just makes it seem like it's 'making do' rather than enjoying the food for it's own merits.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote akaredarcher View Post
    Okay, so I'm the only vegan in my household but...they've all agreed to trial it for one month (to commence in the new year).
    Wow, you must be pretty convincing to talk them all into the "one month challenge".

I think some of the old familiar foods like spaghetti, chili, tacos, etc. would be great...without the meat, of course. Wheat berries that have been soaked overnight and then boiled for about an hour works great in chili. Very tasty. Good luck!

TheBringer

Here are some foods I have made myself. I like to experiment but nothing has made me sick. You can try these if you want. If you want to ask me about more feel free in a pm. (P.S. all the omnis that even SEE my food usually like it):

Miso Soup:
    Miso (made of beans and such)
    water
    carrots, celery, seaweed (wakame is good), potatoes, or any veggies.
    (you can eat it without the veggies too, but then it's just protein)
    -Just put in together into a pot and heat to boil or any reasonably hot temp. then it's ready!

super delicious burrito:
    any soft tortilla.
    hummus, salsa, guacamole, or any sauce (hummus is best)
    avocado
    lettuce, kale, spinach, or any leafy green
    spices (red pepper, turmeric, etc.)
    tomatoes
    and so on until you think there are enough veggies

anything burrito:
    if any of them don't care what you make do this:
    any tortilla
    any veggies
    any sauces that mix well.
    beans (if you have some)
    anything else you have in the kitchen
    -mine usually turn out good, but I can eat fresh spinach in a plain tortilla and be happy.

Sauteed Tofu
    super firm tofu (or firmest you can get)
    red pepper
    turmeric
    soy sauce
    any vegetable oil, or olive oil
    veggies (potatoes, onion, avocados, tomatoes)
    whole garlic
    -1ut oil on a pan. just a little.
    -2:throw on blocks of tofu(as much as possible), potatoes, all spices, and a little soysauce.
    -3:after about 5 min throw in onions
    -4:cook until onions are clear and potatoes are soft. (you can test but eating a small piece)
    -5:

TheBringer

Here are some foods I have made myself. I like to experiment but nothing has made me sick. You can try these if you want. If you want to ask me about more feel free in a pm. (P.S. all the omnis that even SEE my food usually like it):

Miso Soup:
    Miso (made of beans and such)
    water
    carrots, celery, seaweed (wakame is good), potatoes, or any veggies.
    (you can eat it without the veggies too, but then it's just protein)
    -Just put in together into a pot and heat to boil or any reasonably hot temp. then it's ready!

super delicious burrito:
    any soft tortilla.
    hummus, salsa, guacamole, or any sauce (hummus is best)
    avocado
    lettuce, kale, spinach, or any leafy green
    spices (red pepper, turmeric, etc.)
    tomatoes
    and so on until you think there are enough veggies

anything burrito:
    if any of them don't care what you make do this:
    any tortilla
    any veggies
    any sauces that mix well.
    beans (if you have some)
    anything else you have in the kitchen
    -mine usually turn out good, but I can eat fresh spinach in a plain tortilla and be happy.

Sauteed Tofu
    super firm tofu (or firmest you can get)
    red pepper
    turmeric
    soy sauce
    any vegetable oil, or olive oil
    veggies (potatoes, onion, avocados, tomatoes)
    whole garlic
    -1ut oil on a pan. just a little. cook medium heat.
    -2:throw on blocks of tofu(as much as possible), potatoes, all spices, and a
    little soy sauce.
    -3:after about 5 min throw in onions
    -4:cook until onions are clear and potatoes are soft. (you can test by eating a small piece). the tofu can cook for a very long time so don't worry.
    -5: serve with rice (if you want an overdose of carbs), or salad. (best idea)

Spinach salad:
    fresh spinach
    tomatoes
    avocados
    broccoli
    onions (if you want)
    olive oil, or canola oil
    vinegar
    -mix and serve

veggie salad:
    any lettuce mix.
    carrots
    avocados
    tomatoes
    and anything else.

Of course you can change any of the ingredients. I hope this helps.

You could do a BBQ one weekend and make lots of different salads. When I was in Brisbane last month, I bought these awesome lentil burgers and "chicken" sausages from Coles, which were great on the BBQ.

Ooh, yeah BBQ! Throw some fancy veggie burgers and bell peppers and onions on the grill. You can also grill squash or make shish-kabobs with pineapple and mango! Im getting hungry thinking about this.
    Really, the best advice I can give you is to think about what your flatmates already eat and try to provide them with vegan versions (except for the junk food eater). Just peruse the recipe threads and look for ideas there.
    Good luck!

pasta with red sauce.
    context is everything

make your own pizza cheeseless pizza is not too calorific and it is yummy served with roast vega nd fried onion on top... also some side salad with lots of colour food veg (tomatoes, peppers, cucumber...)

For your flatmate who wants to lose weight, think about low GI foods - mostly wholegrains - and smaller portions. That's what works for me, when I stick to it!

Also, stir fry with tempeh or fajitas with seitan are very hearty. Some good vegan chocolate chip cookies or other dessert would be nice just so they know that vegans enjoy these items too.

RubyDuby

deleted the whole darn thing...

damnit all to heck
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    I'd avoid vege hot dogs or deli-meats cuz the soy taste can be pretty shocking if u arent used to it imo.

Definitely agree on avoiding the veggie hotdogs. I've yet to find one I like.

My husband went a vegan partly because he became devoted to meat analogues. His favorites are Tofurky (in mushroom gravy) and Soyrizo (served mixed with hash browns and lots of Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream).

We like putting tempeh in our burritos, too. The spicy kind which Turtle Island makes is very good, but if you use the instructions they have on the back, it becomes very salty.
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

Suggestions from a fussy vegan:

- Pasta (wholemeal if possible) with lentil bolognaise or napolitana sauce or Sauteed Mushrooms, Onion & Garlic.
    - Burrito or tacos or nachos with refried beans or mexican chilli beans, guacamole, tomato, corn kernels and lettuce (no salady stuff on nachos )
    - Vegie Stir Fry w/ Brown rice
    - Vegie Burgers on a bun with salad and ketchup/tomato sauce and fries (except for the one who is trying to lose weight )
    - Pita wraps with falafel, hummus/tahina, tabbouli, tomato & lettuce
    - Potato & Leek soup or Pumpkin soup with bread
    - Potato & Rosemary Pizza
    - Mushroom risotto

Smile Re: Our household vegan adventure

all my omni friends love falafel when they get brave enough to try it

i normally, when cooking for omnis, do wholewheat pasta, loads of veg, falafel and pesto all mixed up. another alternative is wholewheat pitta with falafel and large salad.

tofu & quiona burgers always go down well too! i think i got the recipie off the forum somewhere

Are they adventurous eaters, on the whole? As it's summer there, some of the meals could just be big salads, You could do several different ones and let people help themselves: say a bean one, a green one and a potato- or grain-based one.

Omnivores will usually tuck into this sort of meal happily because there isn't anything really unfamiliar. Then you can gradually phase in the "weirder" foods such as tofu etc.

Quote RubyDuby View Post

Indian-- dahl with rice and naan. or a coconut curry (yum)
    I thought naan normally has milk...

Some do, some don't. If they do, you could use papadums instead.

RubyDuby

Quote Manzana View Post
    I thought naan normally has milk...
    naan was vegan at the Indian placed where I worked. Paratha was naan with butter or ghee on it.

I never knew there was non-vegan naan. Good to know, although I do tend to ask when we eat out anyway.

Here, chapattis are the less-buttery version of parathas. They're about the size of a tortilla, and cooked on a flat iron tawa. Naan is a big, flat bread - traditionally made with yoghurt in the dough - and cooked on the wall of a clay tandoori oven.

I'd start off with stuff they will recognise and be willing to try! Also stuff that is easy, not too 'exotic' looking, stuff they know they can make again themselves. They are more likely to make easy tasty meals themselves afterwards even if they do go back to eating a non-vegan diet (which I hope they won't!)
    When I go to my Dad's he often now asks what we can do as a vegan meal (my entire family are omnis)...I tend to take lasagne/vegan quiche/hummous, felafels and salad etc.
    Have a look on the fat free vegan kitchen blog at http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2005/12/recipe-index.html
    brilliant recipes, easy to follow etc.
    Cherry's chocolate cheesecake on the Parsley Soup site is also one to wow all non-vegans with...not exactly low calorie or low fat, but absolutely amazing!!

I leave you alone with a post for 5 minutes and look what you've done!

No seriously - thanks for all the input - I greatly appreciate it.

I like the idea of doing different themed meals i.e. mexican, indian etc. And I think I agree about avoiding the meat analogues at least to start off with.

So far I've come up with the following as some things I'd definitely like to include:
    - Veggie curry with coconut milk and spiced rice
    - Vietnamese style rice paper rolls (let them fill and roll their own at the table)
    - Lasagna
    - bunch of different salads with some 'interesting' breads (I say 'interesting' because even wholemeal is a bit unusual for them - so something like a sprouted grain roll would probably blow their mind. I have in the past been known to bake my own too...).
    - Burritos/fajitas with homemade guacamole, salsa etc.
    - Pizza (I've got a yeast-free pizza base that I like to make, mix herbs into the crust, mix tomato paste and hummus for the sauce, grilled veggies and diced olives...)
    - chili and sweet potato corn bread (my omni ex-boyfriend would hover around the kitchen when I made this cornbread he loved it that much!).

Other stuff I want to include is corn on-the-cob, plenty of fresh fruit (as harpy pointed out - it's Summer here right now so we have plenty of options for yummy fruit too), and some Japanese style food (we all LOVE Japanese food).

Thought maybe of going out to eat at a couple of my favourite restuarants too to show them that it's really not that 'hard'.

Thanks for the link to fatfreevegan - but I already have it bookmarked

We have 'Vegan Cupcakes...' which my pescatarian flatmate loves so I assure you there's no shortage of sweet recipes (the trouble may be in avoiding too many sweets).

Also, I'm thinking to include stuff like some new music, fresh tablesettings, mealtime devotions etc. to make this month really special and memorable for them too (we're all Christians so mealtime prayers or 'grace' is normal for us anyway). Perhaps followed by some fun after-dinner entertainments.

Also, I think I may have packed lunches covered: 'Vegan Lunchbox' anybody?

Any more ideas gratefully welcomed...

Have you seen this site, btw?

http://www.serv-online.org/Julie-Eyrich.htm

Wow, when your month's up, can you come over here and cook for my family please?

Quote Sluggie View Post
    Wow, when your month's up, can you come over here and cook for my family please?
    haha! Would you pay my travel costs? Hampshire's an awfully long way from Sydney. Although I have a sister in London who I could stop over with on the way...

We have finally got an internet connection at home now so hopefully I can keep a good record (perhaps, blogwise) of the vegan action in our little home.

One of the girls is now saying she'll commit to one month vegan, followed by 2 months veggie! Ah, progress...

lol! Tempting.

I hope it goes well.

We made the Choc-Chip cookies from Vegan With A Vengeance yesterday afternoon (the girls loved them) and they are getting excited about this little adventure of ours.
    It was quite amusing - we made the cookies late yesterday afternoon and took a container of them to evening church with us. We were standing around waiting to go into the service and this little boy walked straight up, pointed to the see-through container and said 'cookie'. So cute - gave him one then his sisters, cousin and grandma all wanted one too! Vegan evangelism amongst our congregation?
    I'm going to try and get things set up at home to take photos of our adventures...

Yay! Sounds like fun Would love to see the photos!

I can't believe no one has mentioned falafel! Oh, my! I was eating falafel at the mall once with my friends who kinda love their meat and they tried it and they were really impressed! Try making wraps with falafel and hummus (something else I didn't see anyone post!). I've served these things to a large portion of my friends and they loved them!

RubyDuby

Quote RubyDuby
    Greek-- dolmas, tabouli, hummus, baba ghanoush, pitas
    I can't believe I missed falafels either.
    (or that I just deleted my whole darn original post thinking I was quoting myself... )

cute name cheezcake

Quote Cheezcake Spice View Post
    I can't believe no one has mentioned falafel! Oh, my! I was eating falafel at the mall once with my friends who kinda love their meat and they tried it and they were really impressed! Try making wraps with falafel and hummus (something else I didn't see anyone post!). I've served these things to a large portion of my friends and they loved them!
    i mentioned them

Quote !! View Post
    i mentioned them
    My bad! I'm young and impatient I suppose! And thanks Ruby, I'm pretty fond of it myself too!

I also think serving anything with chick peas is a must because some people aren't too fond of that hearty wholeness a lot of beans have, where chick peas just have a little bit of that taste and they're moochoe healthy for you! And the plus? You can add them to just about everything!

Quote stickydate View Post
    Suggestions from a fussy vegan:

- Pasta (wholemeal if possible) with lentil bolognaise or napolitana sauce or Sauteed Mushrooms, Onion & Garlic.
    - Burrito or tacos or nachos with refried beans or mexican chilli beans, guacamole, tomato, corn kernels and lettuce (no salady stuff on nachos )
    - Vegie Stir Fry w/ Brown rice
    - Vegie Burgers on a bun with salad and ketchup/tomato sauce and fries (except for the one who is trying to lose weight )
    - Pita wraps with falafel, hummus/tahina, tabbouli, tomato & lettuce
    - Potato & Leek soup or Pumpkin soup with bread
    - Potato & Rosemary Pizza
    - Mushroom risotto
    I mentioned falafel too

Okay, okay, we'll have falafel one night

Here's rundown of the last 3 days...

January 1
    Leftover salad stuff, whole meal breadrolls, store-bought hummus, fruit
    Wheat pasta (penne in case you're wondering) with tomato-based sauce (leftover tomato sauce from a jar, mushrooms, onion, carrot and zucchini).
    Movies

January 2
    Made the mistake of letting them fend for themselves for lunch - they were a bit uninspired.
    Dinner was yummy though:
    - diced potato baked and served with lemon and mint dressing;
    - salad [fresh corn sliced off the cob, diced tomatoes, chopped parsley]
    - peach iced tea;
    - bread
    Made the 'sparkled ginger cookies' from Vegan With a Vengeance after dinner - very well received!

January 3
    There were vegetables 'missing' when I got home from work so I can only assume that the unaccounted for avocado and tomato ended up in someone's lunch.
    Dinner last night:
    - crumbed eggplant (baked, breaded in a stuffing mix I found with herbs already added);
    - coleslaw (blanched purple cabbage, diced red apple, grated carrot, caraway seeds, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar)
    Dessert: rockmelon (cold from the fridge - yum!), leftover ginger cookies and tea with soy milk.

We're sitting down together tonight to plan a menu for next week...

That sounds like an imaginative selection - lucky housemates! Are you having to do all the preparation yourself?

RubyDuby

cant wait to hear the rest

So when are you having falafel??

Quote stickydate View Post
    So when are you having falafel??
    yes... AND when are you cooking for me??
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott