Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: West Cornwall Pasty Company

Default Re: West Cornwall Pasty Company

Well I went in today, and it was all egg glazes and containing milk proteins. They told me nothing was vegan, except the wedges, so I had those :s

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Some years ago, Leeds centre had two shops, Beanos and Taffs, where you could get a vegan light meal/takeaway during the day but both closed.
    Beanos was the place to go whenever I came to Leeds, many rain clouds ago.

Aah, sigh. Come on David, buck up, these are the good old days...

Quote Cherry View Post
    The capital of the North should surely be in Cumbria?
    According to this post, the capital is 'N'.

Anyone heard any news on this?

I was interested to follow this thread following my daughter asking at the West Cornwall Pasty Co shop in Cambridge and being told that the wholemeal pasties were vegan. Having read the thread I thought I would check to see what the situation is currently.
    They replied within a couple of days with the following wonderful news:

Dear Rob
    Thank you for contacting West Cornwall Pasty Company.
    Our Wheatmeal Vegetable Pasty is vegan compatible as we now do not have a glaze on it.
    I have enclosed the product information data sheet for your perusal.
    The other vegetable pasties still have the milk glaze.
    Kind Regards
    Sue Marshall
    Customer Service
    http://www.westcornwallpasty.co.uk/

She also sent me a full description of the ingredients and possible contaminations.
    I tracked one of their outlets to Liverpool St Station and this week I have eaten 3 of them. They were excellent...

On the other hand, there is also The Pasty Shop in the same station. I thought I would enquire of them if any of their pasties are vegan. Unfortunately, their website
    http://www.thepastyshop.com/
    doesnt seem to have a contact email address so I couldnt.
    The old adage about not trusting a company without a contact point applies I presume...

Quote veganfiddler View Post
    [COLOR=#1F497D]Our Wheatmeal Vegetable Pasty is vegan compatible as we now do not have a glaze on it....I tracked one of their outlets to Liverpool St Station and this week I have eaten 3 of them. They were excellent...
    Sounds like some progress was made...yay! I might have to make pasties this weekend. This thread makes me crave them...

Thank you very much for checking, veganfiddler. That's very good news. I quite fancy a pasty, now this minute actually

Hello, by the way!

leedsveg

Hi veganfiddler and welcome to the forum.

I think you deserve the 'post of the day award'. Can't believe I can now sit down and chomp on a hot wholemeal pasty when I go into Leeds centre.

leedsveg

I also discovered this a week or so ago. Note that although the ingredients are now vegan, there are contamination risks in the store with how they are cooked and displayed. Personally I am ok with this as the same risks would be present in any non-vegan restaurant that serves vegan food, but I know some people are more careful.
    I agree that they are v tasty and a v welcome option when out in town.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

leedsveg

^^

Ironic that you can't get their hot pasties in Cornwall.

lv

Thought you might like an update. I wrote to the company and they quickly replied stating that the Wholemeal Vegetable is indeed vegan.

"Thank you for contacting West Cornwall Pasty Company
    Our Wheatmeal Vegetable Pasty is vegan compatible as we now do not have a glaze on it
    The other vegetable pasties still have the milk glaze"

That was 6th Dec 2010

We then tracked outlets down in Cambridge and Liverpool Street Station. They have become a regular part of my commuting week. A hot pasty at eleven o'clock sets me up for the day...

cobweb

And for those of us living in Cornwall, where I have never seen a 'West Cornwall Pasty Company' outlet lol, 'Rowes' do a vegan veggie pasty .

Hurrah for vegan pasties. Cornish pasties are such a good thing to make vegan versions of because from what I've read the meat content would traditionally have been fairly minimal anyway, and the nicer bits were the vegetables no doubt.

Quote veganfiddler View Post
    We then tracked outlets down in Cambridge and Liverpool Street Station. They have become a regular part of my commuting week. A hot pasty at eleven o'clock sets me up for the day...
    They are better than the Oxford branch... their pasties always seem to be luke warm. I'd prefer cold than 'left on top of a radiator for 5 mins' temp.

They are tasty though, I just think its a case that they don't get through many of the Wholemeal pasties so they tend to cool down before someone buys them.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.