Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: West Cornwall Pasty Company

Default Re: West Cornwall Pasty Company

Quote Cumin View Post
    they will be rolling out the vegan versions of the vegetable pasties to all shops over the summer.
    Oh well, no-one said they were fresh I suppose! Thanks for the update Cumin.

How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Oh dear, we've been eating those too
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

Rachel,
    Some shops (those that were in the trial) have been selling the vegan ones, so you might have been OK. Did you ask in the shop about the glaze etc? I'm afraid I wasn't given a list of which stores were in the trial so I can't help you tell.
    Oh well. At least it will be all clear soon. They have promised to make signs showing which are OK in future.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

does anybody know if these are vegan yet? i looked at the one in Victoria station and they don't have any signs saying if they're vegan, and the staff didn't know.

I don't think they've rolled out the new recipes yet, but I was going to contact them to chase it up. THanks for the reminder..

.. Just spoke to the guy. They are still in the pipeline and will come out with some other new products in the not-too-distant future. So we will just have to be patient. sigh..
    Last edited by Cumin; Sep 29th, 2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: updated..

No news on this I suppose?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Apparently not. I'm always amazed at how slow these large(ish) companies move through these kind of changes. I'm still eager to get my mits on a nice hot pasty.

Quote Cumin View Post
    I'm still eager to get my mits on a nice hot pasty.
    Ooh. I'd buy them in threes. Eat one and use the other two as hand warmers today. Brrr.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    Ooh. I'd buy them in threes. Eat one and use the other two as hand warmers today. Brrr.
    Going a little off topic for a moment...

What do you think of the local Pasty shop's offerings? Whenever I'm in Brighton I make sure I bring some away with me to cook when I get home, even if it's been ages since the last visit

There's a PASTY shop???!!!!
    I have never been, aubergine.

I am a poet and never realised that that is what I am..

P.S Visit more often.

^ presumably Aubergine means the one in Gardner Street, just up from Red Veg. i've had a couple of their vegan ones and i liked them.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Arghhh noooooo! Vegan pasties are the devil's work, I shall have to walk down Gardner Street with my eyes shut, which may be difficult.
    Back to my carrot sticks and hummus lunch..

The pastie shop is so good!

Quote Gorilla View Post
    ^ presumably Aubergine means the one in Gardner Street, just up from Red Veg. i've had a couple of their vegan ones and i liked them.
    I think that's the one. The wholemeal one is the best I've bought anywhere. Sublime with a bit of Ketchup, which I'm sure would be regarded by some as sacrilege.

Stu

I am a poet and never realised that that is what I am..
    Heh, that made me chortle.

Quote aubergine View Post
    I think that's the one. The wholemeal one is the best I've bought anywhere. Sublime with a bit of Ketchup, which I'm sure would be regarded by some as sacrilege.
    Oh no.. not sacrilege : Mandatory!

And lo, it was written that thou shalt adorn thy pastii with the red sauce of glass receptacle. It shall be of tomato base, and it shall have spices. Thy pastii shall be hot, and thy sauce shall be cold. It will be good.

Oh my.. I want a pasty now.

There's a PASTY shop???!!!!
    In Brighton...? OMG Yay!!!
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

I wasn't too impressed with the Brighton pasties. Seemed like the filling was cubes of frozen mixed veg in all of them with just a different sauce in each. (I threw the korma one away and I hate to waste food.)

The West Cornwall ones were fab though.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

^ that's a shame Marrers, i think they change them fairly often so maybe there are good batches and bad batches. i had a vegan cheese & onion one from there once which was great.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

i emailed West Cornwall Pasty Co. a couple of weeks ago and they finally got back to me, not great news unfortunately though:

"Apologies that we have not replied to you sooner. We are indeed in the process of introducing a vegan friendly glaze for our vegetable pasties. However, we still do not have a confirmed date of when this will commence.

I will keep your details on file and will be sure to contact you as soon as this becomes available to our customers.

Kind regards"

Thanks for sharing that Gorilla. They are really dragging their heels on this aren't they.

yup, i can't imagine what's taking them so long!

They're from Cornwall, the mañana principle is alive and well in the tip of the South-West both for good and ill.

This thead gave me the idea of emailing Waitrose to see if they'd take the Egg Glaze off their Hand Crimped Vegetable Pastie. They've responded with a '...we'll bring it up in the next meeting' response.

Might be worth others giving it a go

Freephone: 0800 188 884
    Email: customer_service@waitrose.co.uk
    By post:
    Waitrose Customer Service Department
    Waitrose Limited
    Doncastle Road
    Bracknell
    Berkshire
    RG12 8YA

I noticed that. They did used to sell a vegan looking one 5 or 6 years ago
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote v6gan View Post
    This thead gave me the idea of emailing Waitrose to see if they'd take the Egg Glaze off their Hand Crimped Vegetable Pastie. They've responded with a '...we'll bring it up in the next meeting' response.
    Great idea, v6gan, I've just e-mailed them too.

Yes, I'm sure they did do a vegan one before; not sure if it was an own-brand one though.

Excellent! Lets hope they change it. All this pasty talk means I am going to have to do a mass pasty bake this weekend :smile:

They're from Cornwall, the mañana principle is alive and well in the tip of the South-West both for good and ill.

Down 'ere it's called Dreckly ... and you're right it has it's good and bad points to it.

Quote vegcurry View Post
    Down 'ere it's called Dreckly ... and you're right it has it's good and bad points to it.
    Ha....cornish men do it dreckly....cornish women want it now!! according to a sticker i saw today
    Can't live my life with no rhythm or rhyme

I like the fact that is used almost as the opposite of directly (of which it is a derivative), in the sense of having another space time continuum in Cornwall.

I like the fact that is used almost as the opposite of directly (of which it is a derivative), in the sense of having another space time continuum in Cornwall.
    @ HP

I recall a TV documentary many years back about ancient sites called The Modern Antiquarian featuring Julian Cope - and based on his own book of the same name - in which he theorised that as the Romans didn't get down this way with 'their straight line thinking' time kinda flows differently here ... or summat like that.

I have to admit that since I moved here over 10 years ago I'm getting to understand, and even love it.

Getting slightly off-topic here guys.....

leedsveg

Went into the Leeds WCPC today and STILL no vegan pasties. Some years ago, Leeds centre had two shops, Beanos and Taffs, where you could get a vegan light meal/takeaway during the day but both closed. Leeds might be 'capital of the north' and have some fancy shops but for a vegan wanting a snack eg a pasty, it's rubbish. Give me Manhattan any time.

I tried asking about the WCPC glaze the other week. The person behind the counter gave me a completely blank stare so either they hadn't got the vegan one yet or the staff training isn't what it might be
    Last edited by harpy; Feb 25th, 2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: wrong acronym

Stu

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Leeds might be 'capital of the north'...
    *cough*
    What exactly qualifies Leeds as 'the capital of the North', given that it's not too far from a certain city beginning with 'M' which is the musical and sporting capital of the entire world and has a population of at least three times that of Leeds, and is accepted as being the second city of the whole UK, and to which the BBC and possibly parliament are relocating?

Just asking.

leedsveg

Hi Stu

I deliberately put capital of the north with inverted commas round it because it's not necessarily my opinion, just that of a lot of people I happen to live amongst. Me, I'm from Sheffield. Many years ago,while living on a kibbutz, I was chatting to my mate Paddy (a Mancunian) and we eventually agreed that the 'real heart of the north of England' was Barnsley. I've now no strong opinion either way (but I am happy to have been born in Yorkshire and to have lived most of my life here).

The capital of the North should surely be in Cumbria? Though I suppose as it's also the
    centre of The Universe that might be greedy. The pasties haven't made it that far North yet, though with all the confusion about whether things are vegan or not, I'm not sure I'd want one anyway.

leedsveg

Quote Stu View Post
    *cough*
    What exactly qualifies Leeds as 'the capital of the North', given that it's not too far from a certain city beginning with 'M' which is the musical and sporting capital of the entire world and has a population of at least three times that of Leeds, and is accepted as being the second city of the whole UK, and to which the BBC and possibly parliament are relocating?

Just asking.
    Manchester 'has a population of at least three times that of Leeds'? Not according to this link:

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...ion/cities.htm

Stu

Do you actually, really, genuinely, take that seriously? Do you actually believe that Leeds has a population of more than double that of Manchester? No probs if you do, but surely you realise that I could very very very easily demostrate (using web links as you did) that Manchester is several times the size of Leeds? Not to mention it's massive cultural impact on planet Earth (of which Leeds has none).

To be clear: I don't actually care about this (I live in London), but let's not be silly.

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Manchester 'has a population of at least three times that of Leeds'? Not according to this link:

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...ion/cities.htm
    consider that most people define "Manchester" as meaning Greater Manchester (not the city centre which, until recently, had little population to speak of), and you would realise that Manchester has over 2 million people.

Quote Stu View Post
    ...possibly parliament are relocating
    that's never going to happen MPs are trying to stop the BBC moving as well. i think you'll also find Birmingham is widely regarded to be the second city in England after London. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham

nowt to do with pasties though...

Zero

It just depends whether you are talking about Greater Manchester, because the total population for the entire Metropolitan area in 2007 was estimated at: 2,562,200 Whereas the Manchester City Metropolitan area is indeed smaller in population density than that of the Leeds Metropolitan area.

Anyway, back to the thread topic when are they going to make these pasties vegan?

Yeah, I'm with Gorilla..

Come on guys, take the north Vs north(and left a bit) debate somewhere else. Please.

^ yeah, at least my previous OT resulted in a smaller amount of follow up postings, and actually had something to do with Cornwall

leedsveg

Anyway, back to WCPC--If their pasties are any good, why don't they sell 'em in Cornwall? Also the staff in the Leeds WCPC do not seem to have English as a first language and I assumed that they were Eastern Europeans. Any chance they could be conversing in Cornish? The website is a bit of a laugh though but quite useless for us, if they don't do vegan pasties.
    Last edited by leedsveg; Feb 27th, 2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Error in punctuation

Now I'm seriously craving a pasty - mmmmmm Pasties!

cxmnz

Quote Cumin View Post
    Yeah, I'm with Gorilla..

Come on guys, take the north Vs north(and left a bit) debate somewhere else. Please.
    After all, east midlands is blatently better than all of it

</joke>

Zero

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Anyway, back to WCPC--If their pasties are any good, why don't they sell 'em in Cornwall?
    There is probably a lot more competition to contend with in the place where the pasty originated, and probably less of a market for a factory mass produced product than there is for made fresh on the premises pasties which I suppose there is a lot of in Cornwall.

leedsveg

When I tried a couple of WCPC pasties around a year ago, they were nothing special but at least they were vegan---except I subsequently found out they weren't. I think a major reason for people buying them is because they are actually made in Cornwall. About as logical as buying 'genuinely made in Yorkshire' Yorkshire puddings.