Thread: Travelling to Sydney early 2008, easy to make vegan friends there?

emptystreet

Default Travelling to Sydney early 2008, easy to make vegan friends there?

Im planning a journey to Sydney in mid April next year and will stay there for a while, is it easy to find vegan food there and make vegan friends? And to buy animal-free cosmetics?

Default Re: Travelling to Sydney early 2008, easy to make vegan friends there?

hey, me too!! im currently in NZ, but will be arriving in Sydney beginnning of April for a month. id also be interested to know how vegan friendly this place is.
    are u travelling alone or with people? i will be on my own and know nobody who lives in aus!!

Here are a few contacts:]
    Sydney Contact is David Horton
    Email: dhortoninoz@hotmail.com
    Tel. (02) 9356 4752 (home) 63/2 Ithaca Rd, Elizabeth Bay (Sydney) 2011
    ====
    Vegan Society (NSW) has a website, but is pretty much always out of date!
    Email: info@vegansocietynsw.com
    PO Box 467 Broadway 2007 Tel: 02 9417 2330
    ======
    The vegan social group is:
    Vegans Unite!
    email: sydney@vegansunite.org.au
    =====
    Sydney Raw Food & Vegan Meetup group (they have a monthly pot luck)
    contact is David Horton as above.

There's also animal lib, which has a vegan dinner after every public meeting, 2nd Tues of each month.
    email: sydneyhq@animal-lib.org.au
    =======
    As to your questions, yes it is easy to find vegan food there (I used to live in Bondi (Sydney), and animal-free cosmetics are available from the Crueltyfree shop on line.
    Good luck.
    Eve

emptystreet

[quote=eve;401098]Here are a few contacts:]

Eve, thank you so much! I really hope I have good luck in Sydney, it will be a wonderful experience in my life.

emptystreet

Quote cat21 View Post
    hey, me too!! !
    Hi Cat, my situation is almost the same with you, i'll be travelling alone and I know nobody there, however, I will stay longer than you do. Are you in New Zealand? Is is not far from Sydney? I'll be flying for 12 hours at least, I have poor geographical knowledgy and bad sense of direction, hope I don't get lost there, haha

Go to the Kings Cross district of Sydney ... you'll be spoiled for choice for vegan food. There are loads of restaurants serving vegan and veggie food. And cheap too!

emptystreet

Quote Aradia View Post
    Go to the Kings Cross district of Sydney ... you'll be spoiled for choice for vegan food. There are loads of restaurants serving vegan and veggie food. And cheap too!
    Thanks a lot, Aradia, I'll go there for sure!

There are heaps of eateries in Sydney. My favourite was Green Gourmet, fully vegan, and next door to the restaurant is a grocery store where everything is vegan, both are run by a brother & sister. They are at 113 King St, Newtown Sydney. I've also eaten at their other restaurant in St Leonards, at 538 Pacific Highway.
    Eve

I also love the Green Gourmet restaurant but it can get a little pricey in my opinion. However, fresh fruit & veggies are fairly easy to get a hold of - if you are stuck in the city centre there is always the markets at Haymarket (section of Paddy's Markets) and even supermarkets have packaged goods that are vegan-friendly (we found dark chocolate chips in our local Coles supermarket the other day - made Vegan With A Vengence Choc-Chip Cookies yesterday - so yummy!).
    Anyone else thinking VF Sydney Meetup?
    If I didn't say it, don't assume it.

Sydney is such a great city with lots of diversity. I especially loved The Rocks district.

I found vegan eating in Sydney easy and enjoyed home-cooked meals (plenty of vegan selection at grocery stores), and some lovely meals at Indian and Sri Lankin Restaurants in Crows Nest.

You can try Macro Wholefoods, their cafes have vegan options and they sell lots of vegan products - www.macrowholefoods.com.au

If you travel to Manly on the Nthn Beaches we have a few cafes that have vegan options and a health food store in Rialto Square w/ lots of vegan products.

Pure Organic on Darley Rd - www.purewholefoods.com.au

One Earth Foods (behind the library) - www.oneearthfoods.com.au

Iku is another small chain of cafes that has really goood vegan food - www.iku.com.au

Kitteh, my brother lives in Sydney and isn't a vegan....though he does like to eat out. I should give him that list of places to try

Here's the url of Vegans Unit! Sydney:
    http://www.active.org.au/sydney/grou...hp3?raveid=325
    Eve

Hey Guys. Are you on Facebook? If so we have a lovely Aussie Vegans and Vegetarians group on there and one of the most active discussions is about vegan eateries in Sydney. You will find just about every place listed there by various people. There is not as much here as there is in Melbourne but you will not starve! There are heaps of places in Bondi and that area. Do you know where you will be staying? Sydney's pretty big so we could direct you to stuff in that area if you know.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Quote Aradia View Post
    What places are in Kings Cross? I have never found any vegan food there.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

The 3rd Annual Vegan Expo 2008 is coming soon, and they are looking for volunteers - good way to make new friends. chk website:
    http://www.vegansocietynsw.com/vs/html/index.html
    Eve

emptystreet

Quote eve View Post
    The 3rd Annual Vegan Expo 2008 is coming soon, and they are looking for volunteers - good way to make new friends. chk website:
    http://www.vegansocietynsw.com/vs/html/index.html

Thanks Eve, I arrived in Sydney just three days ago, and I am going to this Vegan Expo, I so believe that it will be interesting!

Quote VanillaBean View Post
    What places are in Kings Cross? I have never found any vegan food there.
    Haha I was thinking that too, vegan food is not what comes to mind when you think of Kings Cross, Sydney

Roxy, you should pass on that list if he's near the Nthn Beaches!

I'll be at the Vegan Expo in Sydney (June) going to bake some c'cakes for a stall and volunteer

Hope you like it here, EmptyStreet!

He's in Neutral Bay, but loves to drive up to the Northern Beaches. He and his wife housesit for some friends up there occasionally.

emptystreet

Do I need to make any preparations for the Vegan Expo? I have to say I am a bad cook, lol

No special preparations, go along and enjoy yourself just helping out where needed - you'll see.
    Eve

Quote Roxy View Post
    He's in Neutral Bay, but loves to drive up to the Northern Beaches. He and his wife housesit for some friends up there occasionally.
    Oh that's not far at all, just over the Spit Bridge. There's also a place all the way up @ Avalon, I think it's called the Happy Chef or something, I've only eaten there once.

But Pure in Manly is awesome!

No preparations, unless you want to volunteer, EmptyStreet. You can find the Vegan Society here http://www.vegansocietynsw.com/vs/html/index.html

Hi, me too !! Im moving to Sydney from SA - been there last year and loved it.. i just missed the Vegan Expo tho : (

Im planning on moving in mid spring - i sooooooo love it there, im looking for any vegans to hagn out with too : )

Good to hear another vegan moving to Syd, I really want to visit Melb for all their amazing vegan food but Sydney is almost as good

If you're on Facebook, join our veg*n group
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

emptystreet

Default Beutiful memories on June 15 vegan expo

Discover Sydney with the Vegan Society - enjoy Sydney in Spring the best way, by walking it with like-minded people from the Vegan Society of NSW. Walks scheduled so far are:

27 Sep: North Head - some of the best views in Sydney. Easy
    25 Oct: Sculpture By The Sea, Bondi. Easy with some steps
    22 Nov: Watson Bay, South Head. Easy with some stairs
    14 Dec: Taronga to Balmoral. Magnificent scenery. Easy/moderate

All walks will start at 11am and all can be accessed by public or private transport, you can choose your own finishing time. For full details and how to RSVP: www.vegansocietynsw.com All welcome!
    Eve