Thread: Florence?

Default Florence?

Heylo everyone

I'm going to Florence on the 9th of January but I'm worried about availability of Vegan foods. Anyone know of anywhere that does vegan?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Florence?

Lucky you, I miss Italy so much (lived in Bologna for 10 months and longing to go back).
    Florence is fairly good for vegan eating, there aren't any vegan restaurants but several vegetarian ones which are vegan-friendly. Two of them I know:
    1) La Raccolta in Via Giacomo Leopardi 2, which also runs a health-food shop.
    2) Il Vegetariano in Via delle Ruote 30 - fantastic, there are no waiters, you are served by the chef himself.
    Apart from that, vegan eating in Italy is really easy. Pizza Marinara is always vegan, it's pizza dough topped with tomato sauce, olive oil and oregano (the traditional pizza, cheese on it is a fairly modern invention). Also, if you ask for the Pizza Siciliana without anchovies ("senza asciughe"), you get a Pizza Marinara with olives and capers.
    Pasta with tomato sauce is also fairly safe, as long as you make sure they use pasta without eggs ("senza uova").
    I'd recommend you stay away from the restaurants which offer the set tourist menu (this is very common in Florence) - it's not "real" Italian food. I know that this can be difficult if you don't speak the language, but try to go to a real osteria or trattoria in one of the side passages - the environment and food are a very different thing.
    Oh, and make sure you don't miss out on icecream from Gelateria Grom in Via del Campanile - I'm drooling right now. Staff in the Bologna branch knew my name in the end because I could never go past it They only use natural ingredients, e.g. their fruit icecream is made from nothing but fruit and sugar. This is why they only serve raspberry icecream when they're in season, otherwise it would be incredibly expensive. This will give you a fairly good idea: http://www.grom.it/eng/index.htm
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Mmmm your post is making my mouth water, applepie

Have a great time Declan!

Hi I ate in a delicious restaurant in Florence called la vie en rose last year .Think its www.lver.it. It's vegtetarian but they had loads of vegan options. Highly recommend!

I'm dying to go to Italy sometime in the next few years and have been worried about the availability of vegan food. This is great! Now here's another big question (I hope applepie checks this!): What about wheat-free food? So much is bread and pasta, and I can't eat wheat. As an Italian-American, having to give up wheat has been much harder for me than going vegan. Is there any hope for me? I'd love to go to Florence!