Thread: raw hair/skin products

Default raw hair/skin products

I've been reading how up to 60% of the stuff we put on our skin gets absorbed into the body...makes sense really.
    I was really impressed by Raw Gaia at the Animal Aid fair last month and have ordered some moisturiser and lip balm from them
    I was wondering if anyone knows of companies who do natural, organic, vegan hair products? Even the green people seem to use chemicals in some products
    I am going to get some coconut oil for intensive conditions, but my hair could really use some lovely stuff to clean it!
    One forum I was looking on was talking about raw vegans not washing their hair...just rinsing with water...but that seems a bit extreme?

Default Re: raw hair/skin products

What do you mean by raw? Chemical free?

unheated

Not washing your hair isn't as bad as you think it is! Just depends I guess.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1879

I really don't like having greasy hair. I've tried not washing it, and it just gets increasingly greasy and my scalp gets itchy. And I get spots around my hairline. It's not a nice experience!
    I'm happy to wash my hair, I just don't want to be using chemicals, and ideally would like to something raw so it has some goodness in it!

Quote emmy View Post
    One forum I was looking on was talking about raw vegans not washing their hair...just rinsing with water...but that seems a bit extreme?
    Okay...first reaction--EW.

Second reaction--hmmm....the folks on Survivor go for almost 40 days without washing their hair and it actually doesn't usually look THAT bad, all things considered.

But the SMELL must be awful.

Not washing your hair doesn't necessarily mean not washing it. :P

I don't know a great deal about it myself, and it's so difficult to find information online, but this link gives you some info: http://community.livejournal.com/no_poo

It's called the No Poo method. Disguisting. But funny anyway.

I think the longer you go without washing your hair the better it will be. I know if I go a day without washing my hair feels greasy and I can't stand it, but obviously the oil balance evens out.

You can use Apple Cider Vinegar apparently, search for info on that.

I use the Alchemy Shampoo and Conditioner by The Purist Company www.purist.com

Quote emmy View Post
    unheated
    Obviously lol. I guess I just assumed that all commercially made products were heated during their manufacture.

Kitteh - I have tried the Jasmin Body Wash from the Purist Company and it was soooo nice! The bathroom smelled like a real jasmin garden while I was having a shower

Sounds great, Roxy. All their products are fantastic. I am using the Mandarin Shampoo and the Aloe Conditioner. I also use their toner.

I have also started using Sukin's moisturizer, cleanser and hand cream, the hand cream smells like choc-orange http://www.sukinorganics.com/

Zero

I just rinse my hair more than anything these days, one thing I noticed after going vegan was that my body was not purging all those horrible oils everwhere. After eating more raw I don't get that sweaty smell after going to the gym.

I only use a salt crystal deodorant now.

I use Raw Gaia moisturiser sometimes, like if my skin feels dry after being out in the elements etc. If I use shampoo I tend to use Original Source.

Piticli

Quote Noogle View Post
    Not washing your hair isn't as bad as you think it is! Just depends I guess.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1879
    Thanks!! I have been reading the article and i have decided no wash my hair with shampoo any time.
    I have too much hair and when i wash it i'm like a lion!!! hahahaha

I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll post better links Piticli - I have a couple bookmarked that tell you how you can wash your hair with Apple Cider Vinegar and the sort you'd find in your cupboard.

Piticli

ok,thank you!

any apple cider vinegar links would be ace!
    roxy - not all stuff is heated. Raw Gaia is all raw. Also some of the coconut oil.
    the idea that we shouldn't be putting things on our body that we wouldn't eat makes a lot of sense to me!

Zero

I have heard it said that you shouldn't put anything on your body that you wouldn't be able to eat, makes a lot of sense, if it's toxic to you inside it's toxic outside too, plus it gets absorbed.

http://community.livejournal.com/no_poo

this is the best link I think, it's a community of folk doing it, lots of tips, but not much of a 'how to start'. I guess someone could ask!

More info here: http://thephoenix.com/article_ektid40141.aspx and here: http://www.aboutmyplanet.com/daily-g...98poo-for-you/

I don't know if it works personally, but I definitely want to try it! Zero you're right - why be so careful about what we eat, and pour chemicals all over ourselves.

Thanks for those links Noogle. Will make sure I check them out.
    It's absolutely insane that we are willing to rub chemicals into our skin.
    That's coming from a smoker though, but ssshhh! (I am going to quit in the next month or so)

Is smoking raw?! :P

If you don't light it

Quote emmy View Post
    If you don't light it
    LOL.

you could easily make your own skin care products using fresh produce. avacado or banana face mask, lemon juice 'toner'. i dont personally ever see skin products in my health food store that are "raw" but there are plenty of awesome natural skin products i really like .. like pure jojoba oil. Organics make great natural &vegan lotion.

in the summer i only use coconut oil instead of sunscreen! of course . .. if i dont watch how long i stay in the sun ... i will turn into a lobster @_@

but the oil feels so niiiiiice ^_^