Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Headache

Default Headache

anyone have any tips on how to help headaches
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Go to the store. Buy the Active Athletic Muscle Relaxant aromatheraputic shower gel from Kiss My Face. Put a small amount on your finger and rub into both temples. I have been able to get rid of migraines in 60 seconds this way.

PinkFluffyCloud

Make a pot of herbal tea. Put the warm tea cosy over your head, then lie back and drink the tea, whilst thinking of something beautiful!!

Drink water. Headaches can be caused by mild de-hydration

I think aspartame and other chemical sweeteners are linked to headaches. I know when I stopped drinking Diet Coke, I stopped getting frequent headaches. I don't know if that helps or not, though.

i hate chemical sweeteners!

Yeah, after i wrote that, I kind of figured you didn't use them, anyway. Sorry.

this might seem like a silly question but it's an important one: are you well hydrated?

Extra strength Excedrin. Hey, it works!

Geoff

For migraine try putting feet (yours - not the ones you souvenired from the path lab!) in a bowl of hot water and cooling head (as before) with ice. This helps close up those throbbing blood vessels in the head and open them up in the feet which gives the blood somewhere to go.
    It worked for me. I started getting migraines when I was 11 and had them all my life until a couple of years back.
    Acupuncture also helped (as a preventative).
    Anyone who gets migraine has my full sympathy.

I use this juice recipe and it seems to help:
    1 apple
    2 oranges
    1 or 2 stalks of celery
    1/3 of a bulb of fennel

it's very tasty and healthy. i believe it's the fennel that is supposed to help with headaches.

My boyfriend swears by this: Use your index finger and thumb on one hand to find the most senstive spot in the webbing between the index finger and thumb on the other hand. When you find the spot that hurts the most when you pinch it (no nails!), squeeze it as hard as you can for as long as you can. I don't know if this is along the lines of hitting your thumb with a hammer to forget your stubbed toe, or if there is actually an acupressure point there. It works for his headaches, but it just puts me to sleep.
    -JK

im probably not well hydrated no. i need to up my water intake!

thanx for all your suggestions everyone

Default Headaches

Hello there.
    I've always had problems with migranes all my life, and have catscans etc. The past few years they've been becoming very rare. But lately i find myself getting some sort of pressure headache at least once a week, and sometimes they can last days. Also, they dont go away when i go to sleep, like my migraines do, they just hang around.
    I read somewhere low iron levels can cause headaches. When i was vegetarain i became anemic, but since turning vegan have become alot healthier, due to trying new foods and being less picky. But lately i've been brusing easier and not having as much energy. I just wanna know if any one else is going through this or knows anything that can help. I take a multivitamine every day (or at least, as often as i remember), and try to eat right. Im going to pick up a pack of iron pills just to be sure.
    By the way, my bedrooms in my basement and its been a bit musky lately. Could this be it?
    Last edited by Korn; Jun 12th, 2010 at 06:40 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread
    "You'd better take care of me lord, otherwise you're gonna have me on your hands" - Hunter S. Thompson

ConsciousCuisine

Default Re: Headaches

Quote Plunder Bunnie
    By the way, my bedrooms in my basement and its been a bit musky lately. Could this be it?

Sorry you are suffering...I relate! When I was younger, I had TERRIBLE headaches and was on loads of medications

Just wanted to mention that fungal contaminations can cause headaches...it's something to look into.

NOt drinking enough water can cause headaches

physical stress is a common cause of headache, especially migraine headache

Some people are sensitive to scents (well, the chemicals in scents so it only takes a little bit) and other volatile chemicals, which may not have any scent associated with them. I get headaches these days from almost any perfume, scented lotion, burning candles. Constipation may also cause headaches (my grandmother was always suggesting that one). Hope they go away soon.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Yea, i think smell might be it. I never liekd perfumes or strong smells, they made me sick when i was a kid. Right now i have two guinea pigs in my rec room, and i have alot of scented stuff around to try to mask their smell (my mum hates them cuz they kinda smell) and its been around that time i started getting them. Plus i sleep in the recroom right now, because theres a little bit of mold in one of the corners in my room, so until thats fixed, which should be sometime soon, il be sleeping withthe guineas in my smelly basement!!!
    It could also be stress, ive been very stressed out lately. Hmm. Better go see my pocture me thinks.
    "You'd better take care of me lord, otherwise you're gonna have me on your hands" - Hunter S. Thompson

you might be allergic to em

some people are allergic to cats and dogs, I thin it's the hair

I'm prone to headaches as well, though not migraines. I have had far fewer since cutting out tea and coffee, so you might want to try if you haven't already.

I'm inclined to be anaemic (predates being a vegetarian) and I think for me there is a connection with low iron levels and getting more headaches; if I take a vegan iron supplement for a few days they go away.

You might want to check with your doc as well, if you're getting more headaches than usual.

I just read that iron is low in all the community and some nutrtionists reckon that all people (omnis) should be taking supplements

antony

Gliondrach

Another cause could be faulty posture. Or your bed might not be giving you adequate support. You might not have a headache immediately after getting out of bed if this is the cause, but it could come on later.

Gliondrach

I could also be due to a misaligned jaw. This can happen if the 'bite' doesn't meet properly.

Tension could be another cause.

I do have a small bottom jaw, and they could be it, since ive pretty much always gotten headaches in soem form or another.

Im not allergic to any sort of animal, ive been tested a few times, and have been around all kinds of animals my entire life. I've also had my guineas for about 1 year and a 1/2, so i doubt its them, since this started a only recently.

I think i have good posture, although i have read that about tension or pressure headaches.

Thanks for the advice guys, its helped me focus on what it could be, and rule things out!!

Robin

I'm just gonna pop in and say it helped me out too, because I was just on my way here to ask about headaches.

Methinks my recent ones are either due ot stress and/or irondeficency (I drink loads of water constantly these days, so I don't think that's it), of to the apothetcaries tomorrow for supplements!

Quote abrennan
    I just read that iron is low in all the community and some nutrtionists reckon that all people (omnis) should be taking supplements
    Men as well? That's interesting - in the past I've read that it's mostly women (of reproductive age) that get anaemic.

Back when I was in highschool - they used to use scare tactics to keep us girls eating red meat. They told us that if we didn't eat it, we'd become anemic and then we'd be put in hospital where we'd be force fed raw liver to get our iron levels back up

Many years ago when I was married, unhappily, I had headaches every day. I've just remembered that because I've not had a headache in yonks . So I guess stress plays a part.
    Eve

Lightbulb Re: Headaches

ive also been having the headache monster over for lunch quite frequently latley...he sometimes even stays for dinner...

i was told by a doctor that its allergies...bastards!!

does anyone have bad allergies???

what can i do besides taking a non animal friendly drug?!?!?!?
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Oranges and grapes are trigger foods for me. I can't eat them or else I'll pay.

Have you tired using feverfew? That's the only thing that has helped my migraines. I've been taking it for 6 months now and have been migraine free where before I got them several times a month. The brand I use is called MygraFew. It's inexpensive and you only have to take one small pill a day.

Hum...this sounds like symptoms I've had for a bit too. I sometimes have a strange, I guess "pressure" headache. I also feel tired and seem to have more bruises. I just had a physical and the normal blood tests do not indicate iron deficiency (my hemoglobin, etc. is fine). I just read that vegans often get MORE iron than omnivores--though it's in harder to digest form (like spinach has oxalates which hamper absorption). I have had these symptoms when I was vegetarian, so I know it's not that I've switched to veganism. I am going to try taking nutritional yeast (the kind with the B vitamins) and see if that helps...I'll let ya know

Talking Re: Headaches

i was told to take nutritional yeast....but it makes me gag!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

cross barer

I suffered from migraines when I was a teen. Mysteriously they pretty much vanished when I stopped living with my mother

There are about 1 million possible reasons for headache, because the brain is central to our function headache may be symptomatic of problems in other areas eg liver, bowel etc.

If they are really nasty, I would do a full detox diet to eliminate any potentail excess bacteria from the gut which may be a cause (eg candida which eats up your carbs, giving you headaches from not enough carbs) and maybe fast for a few days to boost your immune system.

Aspirin is derived from the bark of willow trees, and thins your blood so if your headache is due to constricted arteries that should help (check with an herbalist for a natural form).

Stress is probably the major cause for migraine. Try meditating, if you don't know much about it there's a thread here which describes many ways of mediatation. Tension may only be releived through relaxation and tension in the arms, legs, hips back etc may all lead to headaches.

thankfully, i dont get headaches anymore. UNLESS im sick with a cold/flu. which i seem to have right now. (cold)

i probably dont get headaches anymore because im not ALWAYS eating crap foodlike i used to. all my diet was was basically potatoes. and not the healthy kind either. frozen fries and hashbrowns and chips. i try to eat these in moderation now. (well i like my homemade fries w/ chili on top these days but thats different as its just potato sliced)

Default Re: headache help

'A Natural Approach to Migraines' from PCRM can be found here.

Depends what is causing the headaches. Different cause= different solution. Headaches can be caused by
    stress, tiredness, eyestrain (long periods on the computer)? allergies, dehydration, anaemia and other more serious medical problems, migaine, or bright lights. I get one when I am out in cold bright weather. Try to identify the cause first. If they persist or get worse consult a health practitioner.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I use to get constant headaches. Then I saw a program about teflon releasing a gas when heated to a high temperature. So as an experiment I started back using my cast iron pans. The headaches went away and the teflon pans went in the recycling.

Lavender tea.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Lilac Hamster

Foxytina, I remember you said your sister being a smoker (even the smell on her when she is not smoking) and how she definitely aggravates your asthma, well the same thing could also be at least partially responsible for your headaches.

I had headaches constantly as a child along with coughing and phlegm, all caused by my mother smoking in the house around me. Since I left home the headaches and generally feeling ill all the time went away very quickly, almost overnight. I hardly ever get headaches these days, and yet my main headache trigger is still most certainly cigarette smoke.

I drink gallons of diet coke (loads of vegans I know get so preachy with me about how bad it is and it bugs me because I think they should just go preach at ppl who do worse things, ie smokers!). Unlike for Artichoke diet coke has never once given me a headache, but I do not doubt it might affect some people that way. We all have different sensitivities and can often work out for ourselves what they are if we work out what we have eaten or been exposed to recently before our symptoms.

My advice is stand up to your sister about the effect her smoking has on your health, but you probably knew I'd say that anyway because it's always the first thing I would tackle.

Good luck with finding out for definite what is causing them and finding a way to stop them!

Lesley

i have always gotten tension headaches and migraines. i frequently find that stress is at the root of these as my migraines frequently start as tension headaches. i have pretty much eliminated caffeine from my diet, and my migraines have decreased a LOT (except for the PMS sort - TMI maybe - sorry ). Now I quit jobs that make me unhappy, try to have peppermint tea (and excedrin if i can't get the tension headache under control) near me at all times. also, i got one of those nerdy things to wear at night because i grind my teeth (i ground down my canine teeth flat - so HA to all meat eaters who say we have canine teeth to eat meat; ) and that might have been causing it.

i also know a girl who goes to a chiropractor every 6 months or so and she says that has helped her tremendously. i plan to do that and to try acupuncture (hey, if my dog liked his acupuncture, then i can try it!; )

oh they also make these sticky gel pad things that stick to your forehead - they're all menthol-y and cooling and soothing. i also used to use an aromatherapy tension reliever i got from bath and body works - peppermint

i've read about the feverfew - going to try that!
    "Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel

A naturopath recently told me 80 % of headaches/migraines are due to neck stiffness/pain. Computers are a common trigger. Try some neck manipulation and see how you go. Magnesium and B2 have been shown by research to reduce headaches/migraine in up to 70 % of cases. Combine the 2 treatments and your onto a winner.

Quote adam antichrist
    I suffered from migraines when I was a teen. Mysteriously they pretty much vanished when I stopped living with my mother .
    LOL!! Oh yeah...I can relate to that one...except, I'd change mother to father...

But I still get bad headaches..and since becoming vegan I've had a constant headache, it's never gone away..even when I go to bed and wake up...probably stress though..

I used to get a lot of headaches, probably 1 every day. I stopped drinking anything with aspartame in, and eating/drinking anything with MSG in. (And any other excitotoxins)
    Now I only get headaches for proper reasons (well that's what I call them anyway )

Weird as it sounds, the only thing that I need to do to get rid of a headache is drink a glass of water! Literally, before I have even finished drinking the whole glass, my headache has completely vanished.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Quote SheHulk
    LOL!! Oh yeah...I can relate to that one...except, I'd change mother to father...

But I still get bad headaches..and since becoming vegan I've had a constant headache, it's never gone away..even when I go to bed and wake up...probably stress though..
    Do you eat a lot citrus, wheat, or grapes? Those are common allergens that may cause headaches.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote SheHulk
    Maybe!
    If you are having a bad headache which never goes away and is there when you go to sleep and when you wake up, I think you should seek the advice of a health practitioner. Being vegan may be nothing to do with it. Stress induced headaches should not be there constantly and never go away.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Default Headaches

HI

Can anyone help, I suffer from Headaches , I seem to get them all the time.

I used to be taking painkillers nearly every day , I want to try and stop this.

Does anyone know an alternative to painkiillers or even what may cause me to get a headaches all the time

+
    Last edited by flutterby; Jul 3rd, 2006 at 11:26 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread.
    "You in my life is like having the wind in my hair! You mess it up , but thats ok!"

It could be anything! Um, stress, tiredness, computer screen being too bright, bad eyesight, dehydration,too much caffeine/caffeine withdrawal, brain tumour (sorry, unlikely but you never know ) I think I also read once that taking too many painkillers for headaches can give you one...not sure how true that is though.

So, I guess to help yourself you...get lots of sleep, de-stress, eat well, drink lots of water, cut back on caffeine/alcohol, get some fresh air and excercise, have an eye test and get away from your computer/TV. Then maybe see a doctor. Lying in a dark room can help headaches. I hope some of that is of some use.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Apparently peppermint oil in a carrier oil rubbed on the temples can help.

Monday xx