Thread: Pet chicken and transition wastage

Unhappy Pet chicken and transition wastage

Hi, im new on the board. someone (sorry i cant remember who) started a thread about what you would do with your pet chickens eggs.i dont keep chickens but i was wondering, it would be cruel to kill the chicken, but if it naturally laid eggs, would that be acceptable to eat. because it is not like it has been forced to lay eggs so we can eat, but if you say you wont eat animal products does that mean you wouldn't eat things you knew where they came from and that they were completly natural? i can see both sides of the argument. it would be a waste not to eat them and they are natural, and that whats the difference from a battery farm hen losing its eggs to a pets. will someone help.

i also have another point that is quite similar. when i became a vegan i had a leather pair of shoes, i had non-vegan cosmetic(veggie though), and right back before i campaigned i campaigned against animal testing, a lot of dermitogically tested products. i didn't want to get rid of stuff, not because i was attached to dead cow or blind bunnies eyes, but it seemed a waste that a cow should gives its skin, and a mouse its life for me to chuck away when i thought about its manafacturing. i eventually had to give away the belt because all i could see was my aunties cow she keeps for milk, dead in clothes shop all hung up on racks.ewww, but my friend couldn't see this so she was happy with soft, chocolate brown nappa cow wrapper. but nobody would take my shampoo or mascara. so i decided not to throw away a mouses sight, but i finished (feeling gross when i wore it, but it was kinda forcing me to live like lab animals do - always feeling yucky. i would always take out leaflets against animal testing when i wore it, and talk to as many people as possible) Was this a sick thing to do. should i have chucked the bottle that a rat can no longer see for, or do as i did?please reply with your thoughts.

Default Re: Pet chicken and transition wastage

sorry, it says shoes at first, it should hve said belt.

my opinion is that i wouldn't knowingly eat a chicken's egg whether it was from a 'happy chicken' or otherwise..it's essentially a hens menstrual waste, so i'll pass though ta. i have had this thrust on me by family people where they have friends who keep chickens who run around happily in a large back garden having a lovely time and lay great big eggs that would otherwise 'go to waste'. it's a period. so no.

as for the other stuff? i have leather stuff..trainers that i bought way before i became vegan..i'm aware that the reason why they're still going is because the leather's been treated with chuff knows how many chemicals..but i don't have a large amount of cash at my disposal to go out and spend on fab vegan boots/trainers/ shoes...i've just literally bought my first pair of vegan boots from a 'proper vegan shop'..but i'm not giving myself over to extreme angst because i didn;t replace all my non vegan stuff with vegan stuff overnight. i guess it depends on how you feel..you say all's you could see was the cow when you looked at the belt..indeedy..

i wouldn;'t stress over the purchases you've already made/used up..you give away/sell etc what you can..and arm yourself with wonderful knowledge so that your future purchases can be made with an educated mind and a guilt and cruelty free conscience..innit

oooh..edit..i think lots of new vegans feel pretty yucky and guilty about the non vegan stuff they might still have..but noone is standing about arms folded tutting in admonishment (this the right word??)..you just do your best and never mind what stick anyone else gives you..cos you can't do everything perfect..just your best

welcome to the forum btw..
    i hate dairy..grrr
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Quote emmapresley View Post

i hate dairy..grrr
    yh, same. www.milksucks.com has some really good facts and shock stuff( not pictures, so good for the squeamish) to help people be enlightened. i kinda nicked their name though, i hope they wont mind

You could give the eggs to friends/family who would otherwise buy eggs, which would reduce demand for eggs from farmed hens.

You may as well use up the cosmetics, etc you have. For one thing, it's more ecologically friendly to do so than to throw it away and buy new stuff.

I still have some leather boots, but I haven't been able to bring myself to wear them since I went vegan. They've just been sitting in a cupboard for the last couple of years. One of these days I'll get around to selling them on Ebay.

I'm no expert on chickens, but I have heard that hens will eat their own eggs if they're left lying around, so they wouldn't go to waste. Even if they did, would it really matter?

I've still got some leather, I wear it sometimes, but don't feel great about it. But as said, if you've already got it and no-one else wants it (they're old and battered) then there's no use in throwing it away.

How about after using up the shampoo etc, you use the bottles for something? Make something out of them, be creative

Red face Re: Pet chicken and transition wastage

nice idea, but i woul probably feel rank if i ever used what i made. i get more anti testing by the minute. id be like 'a monkey is blind because of my new pencil holder. but that goes against all the other advice about 'dont waste' i say to other people.

i could make a giant rabbit out of the used bottles and put it outside a cosmetics store. it would be eyecatching

thanx

You're welcome, good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Chickens lay more eggs to replace those that have gone missing. If you leave the eggs there they will stop laying when there are about 14.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I've been vegan a year and a half and I still have non-vegan stuff in my house that needs using up. Most of it is cosmetic or shoe related. I have had the same scruffy pair of grey vans trainers for the past 6years. They are starting to get holes in the bottom but to be fair, if a cow had to die for me to have my vans, then I might aswell make good use of them. I have never brought a pair of vegan shoes from an ethical shop 1) cuz I'm always skint and 2) because they don't generally do cool skate shoes. I'm on the lookout now though! I just don't like to waste things either!

It's funny that you should talk about the "pet" chickens and their eggs because I had this conversation with another vegan yesterday at a demo. We both agreed that there wouldn't be anything wrong with eating the chickens eggs in an ethical sense but in a health sense we wouldn't. Also we would give them to our families to reduce the use of commercially brought eggs. Personally I used to quite like eggs, however after the realisation that they are essentially a chickens period and full of cholesterol I think I'll give them a miss!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

It's only "wastage" if you feel eggs are something that SHOULD be eaten by humans - that that's why the chicken lays them. If you rescued caged birds - parakeets, budgies or similar - would it be a "waste" not to eat any eggs that they laid? And if you had a cat that had just weaned a litter, would you feel the same urge to milk it and drink its milk? If it were me, I'd leave them where they were or put 'em on the compost heap.

As for replacing stuff, I mostly only replaced as pre-vegan things were finished or wore out. However, I realised after a year or so that I had some shoes etc. that I was avoiding wearing because they were leather - and so they were never going to wear out, so I donated them to a charity shop. Whatever you decide to do, it's the right choice - there is no one timescale for transition that is right for everyone.

It was also mentioned in an old thread about this same subject that chickens have been known to eat the eggs that don't hatch to regain the nutrients they lost in laying the egg. Like Pob said, they will continue laying eggs until they have a full nest of eggs. If you collect a chicken's eggs they will continue laying. However, many chickens have been bred and/or conditioned against "brooding" (sitting on their eggs to hatch them into chicks) to increase the amount of eggs they lay. And yes, if nothing else they will compost or some other creature will snatch them.

I would really love to rescue some chickens especially now I know they eat the waste eggs
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I have thought long and hard about this as I'd like to rescue some battery chickens. We'll give eating them a miss as they are cholesterol laden but we would give them to the cats as they love raw egg and any left over to the neighbours.
    Silent but deadly :p

thanx for advice, i am now thinking about adopting battery chickens from www.bhwt.org.uk .I dont actually like eggs that much, and as someone pointed out its a chickens period, this really put me off. i am also weight conscious and dont like the cholestrol, but was justing asking this as an ethical question. thanx anyway, and if you know someone transitioning to vegan not to waste products, it is a big thing for me. lol

Not sure exactly what I would do in all of those scenarios...I would probably toss the eggs in my compost bin, I would probably use up the makeup and then only buy cruelty-free, and I would use some left over leather products if I really depended on them or they weren't obviously leather.
    On another note, chickens do make excellent pets. I had one briefly but I had to give it to a friend because someone's mangy outdoor cat kept climbing over my backyard fence and harassing it. The chicken did not lay any eggs while I had it, though.
    Good luck with all decisions and welcome to the forum!

Zero

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    they don't generally do cool skate shoes. I'm on the lookout now though!
    I wear skate type shoes too so I go for Etnies now because quite a few of them are vegan.

Here is the link to their website for the shoes that are: http://store.etnies.com/FooterLinks/...spx#question07

Unfortunately you won't be supporting a totally vegan manufacturer but at least supporting vegan options.

Ah Zero I was quite skeptical when I clicked on the link cuz alot of people refer to those slipper type vans as skate shoes. I think they are shite and should not even be considered (plus how would you skate in that crap!?) but you were spot on with what I was talking about

Zero

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Ah Zero I was quite skeptical when I clicked on the link cuz alot of people refer to those slipper type vans as skate shoes. I think they are shite and should not even be considered (plus how would you skate in that crap!?) but you were spot on with what I was talking about
    Slipper type Vans as skate shoes? That sounds like madness. I used to wear Vans and DC's, and then got hooked on Accupuncture shoes for a whie, but then when I became vegan I couldn't find Vans or DC's or any of those cool skate types with vegan options, but then I found Etnies.

I had seen other people wearing them but had never had any before, so I was a little sceptical, but they have been great.

Quote emmapresley View Post
    my opinion is that i wouldn't knowingly eat a chicken's egg whether it was from a 'happy chicken' or otherwise..it's essentially a hens menstrual waste, so i'll pass though ta. i have had this thrust on me by family people where they have friends who keep chickens who run around happily in a large back garden having a lovely time and lay great big eggs that would otherwise 'go to waste'. it's a period. so no.
    Good point, my period goes to waste regularly.
    Just because some people put their blood in smoothies doesn't make me want to.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Quote Haniska View Post
    Euw at the thought of that!

Quote Haniska View Post
    Good point, my period goes to waste regularly.
    I use mine to fertilise new plants - the mooncup is quite useful. Sorry if this is too much information Oh and of course for magic.
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Oh and of course for magic.
    I have used it in spells etc before but not that often lol

I want to fertilize plants with mine but I'm afraid that SOME how some ONE would find out. "Why is your dog eating all of the dirt in your flower boxes?"
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Lol that will get the neighbours talking Next thing you know they'll be crying witch at you across the street. Screw them - good to be freaky hehe!

wot kind of spells is it used in?

I should go and google, i have kinda been interested in spells, but i always wonder if i am just following something someone else made up, that and i am way to lazy to do complicated stuff. Can you make your own spells up? Sorry for the questions i should really go try read about it.

me- no wouldnt eat an egg
    edit ive googled and yeh im way to lazy to try that stuff lol. very interesting to read thu

I used to have pet chickens, rescued from a high school "science" project. I was not vegan at the time, but usually we just let the chickens do whatever they wanted with the eggs. Sometimes they'd sit on them a while, sometimes they'd just lay them any-old-place and forget about them or ignore them. I never personally had the chickens eat the eggs.

One thing to watch out for, if you do let them keep the eggs, watch out that the eggs don't attract predators that might hurt your chickens. Chickens, unfortunately, attract enough predators on their own.

Chickens have awesome personalities. They're so fun. Mine would come in the house and take naps with us and follow us around. They just lived loose in our yard, with a chicken house they could go up into. It's usually a good idea to close them in securely at night, though, so that foxes and raccoons and the like don't get them.

As for the skate shoes, have you guys tried Macbeth footwear? I'm nor sure if it's one hundred percent, but I think a lot of their shoes are vegan.
    I could be totally wrong.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.