Thread: Egg alternative

Red face Egg alternative

Hi, this will sound really stupid coming from a animal right activist vegan like me, but......My auntie has always kept a cow for milk. her daughter found some of my publicity leaflets on battery farms, and now has decide to go vegan. my auntie says this is fine if i can help provide a three-week meal plan. i need help. i did it, with very few repeated meals, but my aunt said if i cant find a sutible egg substitute she wont feed Carry my meals. i have searched, but in vain. please help, i have converted her to cruelty free lifestyle, but this may be undone. think of the animals we could save.......

Stu

Default Re: Egg alternative

Easy!

Simply toddle along to your local Holland & Barrett, pick up some Egg Replacer off the shelf, take it to the counter, pay for it, take it home, and say "there you are Auntie Mabel."

they do egg replacer, wow, i didn't know. is it as high cholestrol as regular eggs?.........

I shouldn't think it has any cholesterol - you only get cholesterol in animal products.

There are other alternatives too. Isa Chandra Moskowitz recommends the following in Vegan With A Vengeance:

2tbs ground flax seed + 2 tbs of water= 1 egg. This works well for cookies and pancakes. The flavour can be a bit strong.

1/2 Banana = 1 egg - works in cakes and muffins

3 tbs blended silken tofu = 1 egg - cakes and brownies, especially if they have a delicate flavour as tofu if fairly tasteless.

4 tbs soya yoghurt = 1 egg - cakes, bread

Yes, I think you need to ask your aunt what she's planning to do with the egg substitute. The kind Stu mentioned will work in baking but probably not e.g. as a substitute for scrambled eggs where she would be better off with tofu.

scrambled tofu..have a packet..drain it and squish the water out of it..crumble it up into a frying pan with some non dairy butter or a bit of oil (you'll probs need not to omit this cos it'll stick)..stir it up over a medium heat..pop in a pinch or three of tumeric for that lush golden hue ..bit of salt & pepper if you fancy it..also if you have to hand quite near the end flutter on some yeast flakes..it LOOKS like scrambled eggs..and tastes pretty fab..
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles