Thread: sulphur aminos and linseed oil

Default sulphur aminos and linseed oil

i'd interested in people's opinion/information on linseed oil. i've been taking it for years with my morning oats with a mix of soaked, ground sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds in it.

i've recently stumbled across very convincing evidence that the oil is best absorbed by consuming with sulphur aminos and it's effect is limited without. where does a vegan find sulphur aminos. the only suggestion i found was bee pollen and lets face it, it's hardly vegan? other forms of protein such as spirulina are not high enough in sulphur aminos. any tips?

Default Re: sulphur aminos and linseed oil

Hi, anula,
    There is an old thread in this Vegan Health section called "sulphur amino acids & quinoa milk" started by englishvegoboi on October 12th 2005. You can find it from the "Search" button in the dark green strip at the top of this page.

The general conclusion was that there would be enough sulphur amino acids (cysteine and methionine) in nuts, seeds, legumes and cereals.

So your breakfast would be quite good. Perhaps you could add some nuts and some wheat bran to make it even better.

Personally, I used linseed oil when I first became a vegan, as it was recommended by information I'd found on the Vegan Society website.
    However, I now use crushed linseed ("ground flaxseed") from Linusit www.granovita.co.uk They have a range of types, some has even been sprouted, some is mixed with cranberries; all are good. As well as the Omega 3 which you get from the oil, you are also getting protein and fibre, which you don't get with the oil. It's also cheaper!

You can find Linusit in health food shops. I'm currently using Linusit Premium Organic Ground Flaxseed, which I bought in Tesco!