Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I've decided to attempt to go raw

Default I've decided to attempt to go raw

to attempt to go raw. I have been researching it and reading Shazzie's journals and I think that I can do it. I at least want to try! I have bought The Complete Book of Raw Food: Healthy, Delicious Vegetarian Cuisine Made with Living Foods, and it seems pretty helpful and it has some really interesting recipies, although not all of them are raw... So I was wondering, does anyone have any suggestions for me on my journey? Any obstacles you have faced, any expieriences? Please let me know!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Default Re: I've decided.

I attempted to go raw for 30 days last year, and I only lasted 3 days . I made a huge bowl of tabbouleh on the third day, and I took a few mouthfuls and suddenly I couldn't bring myself to put the fork in my mouth again. I totally lost my appetite and ran to the bakery for some vegan pastry rolls. It was downhill from there, except for the homemade orange juice which I became addicted to. I can't drink bottled orange juice anymore! I LOVE fresh juice.

My main recommendation is to eat lots of fruit and don't just eat salad like I did. Try lots of food, especially the recipes from The Garden Diet eBooks if you can. I bought them and the recipes are fabulous and VERY simple (no dehydrators or ready-made store-bought raw food). I absolutely LOVE the fresh lemon ginger "soda". I posted the recipe below because it's so simple. I hope you like it!

I also highly recommend joining the Garden Diet's raw journey forum, filled with people trying out a raw lifestyle. It's full of information and support, but I haven't been in ages since I haven't tried going raw for so long. But it's worth a look if you're looking for a 100% raw forum. Good luck with your raw journey!

Raw Lemon Soda

-Juice of 1 lemon
    -2 or more Tbsp raw agave nectar (the original recipe says honey, but agave is just as good)
    -small chunk of ginger (about 1 inch by 1/2 inch)
    -water

Put lemon juice, agave and ginger in blender. Add 1 cup of water and blend until will mixed. Fill the blender to the top with water, stir, and enjoy! (I like to strain the soda through cheesecloth or a sieve to remove the ginger fibres that are left). VARIATION: add a small handful of chopped strawberries before blending, and you get strawberry soda!
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

thank you yoggy!!

Hey Bettie,

The only obstacle was losing too much weight (I think I discussed this on another thread though so I won't bore people and get into it again).

I decided, this week to go back to 80 percent raw though to better my immune system. I'm eating mostly raw all day with a cooked healthy dinner.

This is a sample of what I ate today (about 80 percent raw):

Breakfast: 4 cactus pears and a glass of rice milk (non-raw)

Snack: Raw kombucha tea

Lunch: Salad: Organic greens salad w/raw seaweed, raw nuts, organic tomatoes and a dressing of organic flaxseed oil and raw apple cider vinegar

Dinner will be: Cooked eggplant w/fennel, white beans, tomatoes and celery.

Maybe a glass of vegan wine.

Good luck to you, and remember it's not about raw dogma, it's about health

Good luck!
    I am also trying to go at least 80% raw...but I ideally want to go the whole hog. Bad choice of phrase that, wasn't it?! Sorry.
    I kep 'slipping' and not just eating cooked food, but eating pretty junky cooked food.
    I'm just taking it bit by bit, I know that I'll have days I can't manage it. I stocked up on Lara and Nakd bars for peckish tempted moments, and those have been a godsend!

Emmy, cooked vegan food is so delicious, I don't blame you for slipping

80 percent is really good though ... you still get results: glowing skin, energy, thicker hair ...

Oh, and since I became vegan four months ago, the eczema on my leg is almost all gone!

Good luck to all!

Yes, cooked vegan food is still very tempting!
    But most of what I am eating is raw. My energy levels still aren't great, but I'm coming from a position of chronic fatigue, so it may take more time. I'm also hungry a lot and supposed to be gaining weight, so it's hard to balance everything!
    But I feel so much better and happier when I've mostly eaten raw.
    And I'm drinking LOADS more water. I've never been one to drink anything, but eating more raw has made me crave water over anything else!

That's interesting Emmy, as I find raw foods keep me more hydrated, thinking less about drinking water. In fact, when I first started experimenting eating raw I also did some dry fasting, which was extremely powerful. I had amazing energy and even went mountain climbing.

We're all different though. The best raw food advice I ever heard was "be your own raw food guru."

I think I'm just realising how dehydrated I am. Being more tuned in to what I'm eating had made me more tuned into my body. Maybe I'm also needing to flush toxins out. My body is certainly craving water though! But I'm someone who never drank anything, so a couple of pints a water a day is probably just being normal!

Thanks for your replies healthy and emmy! Ya I don't know if I will be 100% raw all the time, as I love to cook and love my cooked vegan food! Besides it will be difficult for me to cook for my boyfriend and not eat it. So, so far my plan is to eat 100% raw in the morning and afternoon and in the evening a cooked dinner. I'm not to sure about the weekends as I will be around my boyfriend more often....Anyways the point is I will be eating more raw foods than I am now.

That's kind of how I'm doing it at the moment...
    Eating something cooked in the evening. Even if it's cooked pasta or quinoa, with a raw sauce or raw veggies mixed in.

good plan emmy, good plan. I will just do what I can, who knows maybe eventually I will go all the way!

I think it's the best way to do it
    Keep posting, it's nice to know someone else is transitioning too!

Sounds like we're all on the same page (breakfast and lunch raw, cooked dinners, with allowances on weekends) -- we can definitely support each other

Right now munching on these yummy raw flax crackers from: www.rawbakery.com

This morning I had a nice little bowl of organic blueberries.

horray! i'm glad to know I'm not alone!

I find it harder when my bf is over too, he's not raw/vegan, but I see him snacking and then I think I feel like snacking on non-raw food too.

At the moment I am raw all day, excl. a cup of black tea w/ rice milk and then sometimes at night I will have something like a brown rice & veggie pattie w/ hommus.

ya unfortunatly my bf isn't vegan or raw, but he eats whatever i cook him. I need to get him to lose some weight cause he is kinda making me nervous with all the tummy fat! bad for the heart! hopefully if I feed him more raw stuff he will get better!

Unfortunately we are in the middle of a move and I havn't been able to put much thought into our food, but once we are finished....he better watch out. I will start posting about my raw journey!

Kitteh, Healthy and Emmy you guys are totally awesome! hopefully we all will stick with this and post about it!

Hi Bettie, Emmy, Healthy, Kitteh... I'm transitioning to a raw diet, too!

Right now I've just moved and live on campus at uni w/o a car!! So I"m sort of limited on fresh veggies and fruits for dinners. Time is another thing - I'm finished daily around 5 and then have to study at least a couple hours every night. But right now I'm trying to do raw breakfast and every other dinner (I don't have time for lunch). My plan right now is to rotate between the two days until I have some more options.

Day 1: Breakfast: quinoa flakes soaked overnight, banana, and some ground flaxseeds. Dinner: kale salad with tomato, avocado, sprouts, mushrooms, etc. I will eat some Bragg's sesame ginger dressing and kidney/black beans which aren't raw. I'll also have some grapefruit.

Day 2: Breakfast: quinoa flakes soaked overnight, banana, and some ground flaxseeds. Dinner: stirfry with bok choy, tomatoes, red bell pepper, sprouts, broccoli, spinach, bamboo shoots, carrots, etc with tofu. I get this for free from work so I can't complain but I eventually want to use the veggies I get from work to make some kind of raw salad or "creation" but this is what I've got for now. I"ll also have some strawberries and blackberries.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I'll take my hat off to all you folks who can eat a raw diet, especially during the colder winter months.

I'm still finding that I do really well eating RAW all day, and then in the evening I get horrendous cravings and just eat what I can find.
    Also when I don't have time to prepare food, or am generally just disorganised....yesterday for example, I had some left-over (fresh) orange and raspberry juice as I legged it out the house to a lecture...I had a raw nakd bar during my class, but then had no more food with me and was starving and no time to find any food, except a pasta salad (vegan) at the petrol station, which had all sorts of ingredients in that made me very burpy! And then I got back late and just needed quick food, and so I had a huge amount of dry roasted peanuts and a Linda Mcartney cornish pasty. So dehydrating! I feel rubbish for it this morning!
    My lesson is to be more organised!! And keep stocked up on nice fresh stuff that I can quickly throw into salads. Going out and getting fresh stuff last night was the last thing I felt like doing!

Quote Roxy View Post
    I'll take my hat off to all you folks who can eat a raw diet, especially during the colder winter months.
    I don't find that I need to eat cooked food to maintain body temperature. I'm generally quite a cold person anyway, so maybe I'm just used to being cold! I think I read something about a RAW diet being better for regulating a normal body temperature as well...if I find it again I will post a link! (I may have dreamt that though!)

oh yes emmy!

raw during the day is easier for me too, it's the evenings, maybe even from about 3pm onwards where i need to pay attention. i'm currently still eating a cooked evening meal with my family, although we are all eating a raw evening dinner once a week now. i know what you mean about eating things on the quick and then regretting it later

last night i soaked some sunflower seeds and i'm going to maybe sprout them or make a pate/cheeze with them or both. it's things like having a pate or something in the fridge so that i can dip some veg or lettuce into it (or even a wholewheat pitta if it comes to it) when i feel peckish which i need to focus on.

Good morning ladies! Thanks for all the support!

Count me in as a "raw during day is easier" person too -- especially after my Thursday night yoga classes -- this teacher is so powerful, I'm really working up an appetite ... I got home last night and nothing would cut it for me except for a few slices of sprouted cinnamon bread with Earth Balance vegan spread

I'm glad I'm not the only one! It's really frustrating. At least I am eating a LOT more raw food than I was...come to think of it I'm eating a lot more fruit and veg than I was, cooked or otherwise!
    I've just had a salad baguette because I still haven't been out to get food. Struggling to face the outside world today! I desperately need to though, need some nice organic fruit to eat through the evening.
    I'm so glad there is so much support here

I deffo. agree w/ needing to have things on hand. If I'm craving something or am starving in the arvo, I will eat what I have at home. If that happens to be buckwheat toast or chips or something then sometimes that's what I'll eat if I can't control it. If I'm good I know to make a juice or something first and then see how I feel after that.

i'm not too good at having things on hand. i eat something as soon as i get home cause its been so long and just want to get on with my day, get things done!!

raw eating during the day seems so much more natural than cooking meal. plus its so much easier for a college schedule to eat raw fruits and salads. my problem comes in that im very limited with time and just get something easy like strifry from work, crackers and hummus, or a clif bar. i think once i get a steady schedule outside of classses I"ll be more inclined to prepare raw meals for dinner. this is so hard sometimes!

I stop in at a fruit & veg shop that is down the street from me almost every day/every second day, this way I always have lettuce, tom, cuc, avo, carrots, narnas, mangoes etc. I hate running out of those items, anything else I buy, I choose on the day.

I generally have quinoa grain, coconut milk, laksa/curry paste in the cupboard for when/if I feel like a cooked meal, like I did last night. I also have brown rice & veggie patties in the freezer which I defrost, take to my bf's, heat up and have w/ salad and hummus sometimes.

If I've had a salad for lunch I often don't want another for dinner and that's when I usually end up having cooked or a juice and then snacks.

I'm lucky that I work because I don't think I would find it this easy as a student. Having to carry your food all day can be bad for fruits that get squashed, but at least w/ raw food like salads you don't have to worry about needing to heat it up.

What about dried fruits - or are they not considered raw?

Quote Kitteh View Post
    If I've had a salad for lunch I often don't want another for dinner and that's when I usually end up having cooked or a juice and then snacks.
    **nods**

Quote Roxy View Post
    What about dried fruits - or are they not considered raw?
    yes they are raw although because they have been dehydrated need to draw more water from the body when consumed. good for snacks though and in dishes. when i remember i try to soak things like apricots etc overnight if i want them next day. also try to get the dried fruit that has not been treated with sulphur and preservatives etc this changes the colour sometimes ie. apricots from their natural brown colour to the bright orange.

Hi folks,
    Have you guys that are trying raw been using equipment like dehydraters?
    I would like to go raw, but I love cooking and eating and I can't even afford to buy a good juicer at the moment, let alone sprouters and dehydraters..
    Do you think it is possible to be mostly raw without all the equipment? Seems like that would mean eating only salad and fruit......
    Think I'll wait for summer when that's easy to do. How are you all coping? Is weight loss proving to be a problem?

Quote VeganDaze View Post
    Hi folks,
    I would like to go raw, but I love cooking and eating and I can't even afford to buy a good juicer at the moment, let alone sprouters and dehydraters.. Do you think it is possible to be mostly raw without all the equipment?
    I'm not always 100% raw, but am some days... Most days I'm not though due to time constraints.

I do have a juicer that's awesome but its not a necessity at all! I don't have the time to use it too much at school but on weekends I try to juice something with greens in it. I don't have anything else, but think a sprouting thing would be a good idea. I love sprouts and going raw with beans would really be great.

Seems like that would mean eating only salad and fruit......Think I'll wait for summer when that's easy to do. How are you all coping? Is weight loss proving to be a problem?
    I love the days when I'm raw as long as I eat enough. Most days when I eat raw though, I'm at school all day and can't eat enough (like two fruits and a medium salad all day). I get really weak and tired and my muscles get sore!! I think if I did all this I would definitely lose too much weight. Although a little would be fine, but I seriously have a hard time eating enough on all raw as a student. I think planning on time are key to becoming raw when you start out.

I think you're right Ella, being organised would help. I could definitely plan and take nice salads to work every day. With fruit for brekkie that would be 2 meals of the day, which is a good start! I do get hungry if I only eat fruit for breakfast though and losing weight would not be good for me either.

If you are feeling tired at school maybe you should try taking lots of nuts and seeds and dried fruit? They count as raw if you don't have roasted nuts, right? I'm going to try that to help the fruit-breakfast hunger. Today I ate a whole mango for breakfast but I was hungry at 9.30 at work!!

Default Re: I've decided to attempt to go raw.

augment your fruit breakfast with some nuts and seeds. or better still, blend up the fruit into a smoothie with the nuts or seeds that have been soaked overnight. add soaked dates or figs too for added sustainability?

Great idea, thanks cedarblue. I presume blending stops the necessity for eating the fruit on its own for optimum digestion. The sentence was terrible but I hope you know what i mean.
    I was reading about parasites (gross) and how going raw can act as the detox to flush them from your body. I am now totally paranoid that I have worms living in my guts. That is a good incentive to go raw!

But what about wine???

I really want to try going raw too. I just joined an online raw community called Give It To Me Raw (I'm Tigerlily there as well--add me to your friends!).

I don't think I want to be 100% raw or anything. But I do have an addiction to cooked foods like breads, cookies, crackers, and desserts. I really think that's why I'm gaining so much weight.

I'm prone to heart burn and I don't think I can tolerate fruits for a raw breakfast (too much acid) but I'm going to try maybe making green smoothies or having a raw bar such as Larabars. And lunch and snacks will be vegetables prepared in an interesting way (not always boring salads!). I do like the idea of a cooked dinner in the evening. I think with that I can easily get my carby cravings in with something healthy like brown rice.

Yay~
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    II'm prone to heart burn and I don't think I can tolerate fruits for a raw breakfast (too much acid) but I'm going to try maybe making green smoothies or having a raw bar such as Larabars
    the fruit maybe acidic but it produces an alkalizing effect in the stomach and body.

I hope that I can horn in here.
    I am vegan (again) and about 85% raw. I too don't think that I could go completely raw forever. I need cooked now and again. Glad to hear that there are others that feel this way too. Some raw sites go bonkers if you mention eating cooked food.
    I was vegan for a long time and lost my mind and started eating SAD diet again. Now I have my mind back and eating vegan again. I feel soooo much better. Boy, am I stupid!!!

welcome belleadonna! - horn right in!!

Hi folks,
    I would like to go raw, but I love cooking and eating and I can't even afford to buy a good juicer at the moment, let alone sprouters and dehydraters..
    Do you think it is possible to be mostly raw without all the equipment? Seems like that would mean eating only salad and fruit......
    Think I'll wait for summer when that's easy to do. How are you all coping? Is weight loss proving to be a problem?
    You don't need special sprouters! You can do it with a bit of muslin. Or jam jars. People were doing these things before gadgets came along
    You could also get a small cheap hand blender to keep you going until you can afford a juicer.

hi belleadonna!!!

Howdy everyone. Thanks for letting me horn in!!
    Had a terrific green smoothie this morning. Feeling better already!!

Has anyone ever tried a Durian?

No, I've wanted to try one, too but haven't seen them in the supermarkets here. I've heard they're kind of like an orange but tangier? Not sure. Is it some kind of Asian fruit?

Just finishing up day 11, all raw.
    I have heard two opinions of durian, nasty and heavenly. Hmmm.
    We can't get them around here anyway but I saw Andrew Zimmern on the Travel Channel attempt to eat one and he almos lost his lunch. And this guy eats almost anything. I think that I will pass if I am offered one. They say that they smell like a dead body.

Wow, if that guy can't eat them........ ahhhh!

I think I'd try it with my nose plugged, as I've heard that, too. just to give it a chance.

I heard the worse they smell the better the taste. I guess they are supposed to be like a custerd type food....and I do believe they are from Thailand.

I think they are Indonesian - and i heard they reek like shit too

Quote stickydate View Post
    and i heard they reek like shit too
    speak for yourself!!

I have seen them in Malaysia and it is true, they seriously reek. Everyone there loves to eat them though, so maybe it's an acquired taste, or they taste so nice you don't notice the smell?!