Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I've decided to attempt to go raw

Default Re: I've decided to attempt to go raw.

Andrew Zimmern said that they had the constitency of slimy onions. Bleck!!

Can't wait for watermelon to come back into season!! And fresh peaches. I am drooling all over myself. HELP!! SEND NAPKINS!!

MMMMmm Peaches

Smile Re: I've decided to attempt to go raw.

ok..after toying with this for a while and periodically making ace juices in the morning but in an inconsistent way and MAINLY i should say, after seeing the most ghastly photo of me in the meet up thread which i'm sure some of you will have seen, i've decided i really need to get serious about losing some pounds.

i'm aware that eating raw ought to be for optimum health and not as a speedy weight loss thing..but..it seems kind of sensible to me..as long as i'm putting the right stuff in me.

for the last 4 days i've been eating i would say about 70% raw stuff..juiced fruits and veg (carrots, apples, berries, peppers, kale and spinach - not loads of those cos they seemed a bit too intense)

mid morning fruity snacks..
    lunch is mega salads..rocket..sprouted seeds..watercress..avocado..kale..toms, cuke, onions, hemp seeds..lemon juice, balsamic vinegar,flax oil

i've been eating dates/raw almonds/goji berries/more fruit in the afternoon and having plenty water and then stuff like massive veg soups..or lightly steamed veg and loads of it..sweet potatoes baked..corn on the cob..that sort of stuff.

i worked out some days i've had something like over 20 portions of fruit/veg..i've found i need to wee loads more..and thats probably not even with drinking a lot of extra water..is that normal?

earlier tonight i had an overwhelming craving for some oily fish so i had 4 hobnobs and a mug of hot chocolate..cos tbh i wanted something 'comforting'..i'm a terrible comfort eater.

after years of alternating doing things wrong and doing things right for my body, i just want to be a lot kinder to it now..people have that stereotyped skinny evgan thing going on..i certainly aren't fitting into that..infact i've put weight on since going vegan..probably fooling myself that i could scoff extras because of it or something loony..that truly awful shocking pic really has made me take a step back and see myself how other ppl probably do..cos you know..you get used to being how you are and see yourself in a different way to others etc

anyhow..i'm joining this thread and section and am gonna read through properly

ahhthangyouw
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Quote emmapresley View Post

i worked out some days i've had something like over 20 portions of fruit/veg..i've found i need to wee loads more..and thats probably not even with drinking a lot of extra water..is that normal?
    Fresh fruits and vegetables are full of water so that sounds normal!

Sounds like you are eating so healthily (except the hobnobs ) i need to take a leaf out of your book! Maybe the fish craving was due to a need for some more oils in your diet? Shouldn't be if you are eating seeds and avo though. Hope it goes well

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

hi all,
    what is the priciples of raw? i've never heard about it until i went to vegan festival last year. What is raw exactly? why have you decided to go raw? what do you eat?
    xx

I have been vegetarian for five years and vegan for one year and raw for ...two days. I am a vegan because of my animal rights/welfare beliefs, but after reading up on going raw I thought it would be a great way to get more energy. It's now my third day of being raw and I must say I have so much respect fo those of you who can eat raw all the time. I aim to be about 80 percent raw.

Good job.
    I was all raw for 12 straight days and then I went on a cooked food spree. Stupid. I suffered the first headaches that I have had in awhile because of it.

All raw again today!!

aw bummer! Good job though thats really impressive!!! I still havn't managed to have a full raw day but there is still hope! I'm eatting a lot more fruit now though so thats a start!

Good Job Belleadonna!!!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote yum View Post
    hi all,
    what is the priciples of raw? i've never heard about it until i went to vegan festival last year. What is raw exactly? why have you decided to go raw? what do you eat?
    xx
    Raw fooders eat only uncooked food. I decided to go raw to get rid of my sinus problems. I suffered perennial stuffiness and migraines from my sinuses.
    I eat predominately fruits and veggies. Sometimes I eat a few nuts and dried fruit. Raw food bars are a treat!
    I am basically following Doug Graham's 80/10/10.
    I keep the fats and proteins low and the carbs high. I feel really good on that plan. Now if I can just stick to it!!

I lift weights and do cardio almost everyday.

Starting day 2 back all raw with 4 oranges.

so yesterday I ate nice and raw and it was perfect....then low and behold 5 o'clock rolled around and I was soooo tired and starving, after work I automatically went home and binged on cooked food....

Whats a girl to do....?

Help?

The problem is that word you used: perfect. No need to eat perfectly all the time, coz if you beat your self up about it, you will binge and bingeing is horrible You don't deserve to experience that.

Quote stickydate View Post
    The problem is that word you used: perfect. No need to eat perfectly all the time,
    Agreed. I have a big thing about eating perfecting, too, Missbettie. I hate eating packaged food - it makes me feel guilty. And eating raw is just hard when I get angry at myself for eating something non-raw. It seems like we're both trying to do it perfectly. Don't stress, eating fresh vegan foods, raw OR cooked, is great!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I agree guys, it just sucks when you just start gorging yourself...I hate the guilt, and I hate the feeling.

I just feel like I am not trying hard enough.

littlemiss

Hello all. I've just been hovering for inspiration. We (almost vegan hubby and I) are planning on trying raw when it gets warmer. I'm starting to serve larger salads and smaller cooked portions in our meals and throwing in stuff we didn't eat in salads before like mushroom and apple. I'm trying to work my way up gradually but not aiming for 100%. I'm hoping it will give me more energy (Ihave CFS) and help hubby sleep better.
    You guys are very impressive and I'm very encouraged reading your efforts. I'm planning on introducing green smoothies next week, which hubby is looking forward to trying as he has never liked breakfast and only started eating it when we married (I believe it IS the most important meal)
    Anyway. Lots of cheers to you and hope I can join in a bit more!

I'm noticing how many people have cats on their avatars....Mine just refuses to turn vegan, though she's happy to eat all my scheese and hummous and walk across the keyboard to add her opinion!!

This may be a really stupid question but I can't really be bothered going through threads to find an answer, is meusli raw? I make my own using rolled oats, wheat bran, rice bran, pepitas & brazil nuts so is that classified raw?

Zero

Quote littlemiss View Post
    Hello all. I've just been hovering for inspiration. We (almost vegan hubby and I) are planning on trying raw when it gets warmer. I'm starting to serve larger salads and smaller cooked portions in our meals and throwing in stuff we didn't eat in salads before like mushroom and apple. I'm trying to work my way up gradually but not aiming for 100%. I'm hoping it will give me more energy (Ihave CFS) and help hubby sleep better.
    Certainly sounds like you have been doing some great research, so good luck to you both!

I'm noticing how many people have cats on their avatars....Mine just refuses to turn vegan, though she's happy to eat all my scheese and hummous and walk across the keyboard to add her opinion!!
    It is difficult for cats to go vegan, especially since unlike dogs they have more of a tendency toward carnivorious diet rather than omnivore.

They can have issues with kidney problems on a vegan diet so if they have any history of any kidney issues it is not recomended. Apparently female cats don't have as many issues as male cats do so she may be able to do it. Then of course all you are left with is the fact that cats are so very picky!

Zero

Quote Anik View Post
    This may be a really stupid question but I can't really be bothered going through threads to find an answer, is meusli raw? I make my own using rolled oats, wheat bran, rice bran, pepitas & brazil nuts so is that classified raw?
    Certainly not a stupid question if you are new to the concept of raw, cooked and processed foods are everywhere you look!

Is meusli raw? Generally no. Unless you have made a raw one yourself using raw ingredients.

Rolled oats: No (steel cut oats: yes)
    Wheat bran: No
    Rice bran: No
    Nuts: Only if you shell them yourself generally, although many raw foodists do eat the shelled kind without any issues.

Most grains (particularly grass seed like rice and wheat) are not really edible raw.

Basically, if it comes in a box, jar, can, packet etc it is not raw, there are some exceptions of course but generally they make a big deal of the fact it is raw and the price is higher.

Best thing to do is read the ingredients and decided for yourself whether you consider the food vital and healthy, to be honest the majority of raw food comes from the produce section of your grocery store.

anik, it's easy to pre-make a base for muesli then just vary the fruit additions daily. mix together whatever nuts you like as a base and seeds too if you wish then daily add fruit to a portion of nut base such as banana, blueberries, any red berries, apple, pineapple, whatever! using raw nut milk would make it truely raw, or if you are trying it out you could use soy milk to start with.

littlemiss - welcome to stepping up the raw!

littlemiss

Well we're now wanting to eat fruit instead of chocolate so something must be doing some good. Hubby ate one apple, two bannanas and three kiwis this evening. Next week we start green smoothies. That doesn't sound appetising yet but I'm planning on being surprised! mmm lots of apples!
    Sorry zero, I was joking about the cat being vegan! She will happily eat my vegan food but then she will happily kill something innocent and eat that so I cant see forcing a cat into veganism is the way...Also cats diets are so delicate the right food is very expensive and they would still go outside and eat a mouse.. Anyway, I'm sure thats a whole other debate somewhere else!
    Bonne appetite all.

^ ya and there is a debate about cats being vegan somewhere else in the forum! it may have been a joke to you but several people are trying to turn their cats veggie!! I don't think my kitty would appreciate it though...I wonder if she would want to be raw...

Good luck littlemiss! hopefully you have better luck than I in the raw department...although I am doing pretty good now, since I got a cold all I have wanted has been raw foods...

My cats have been on VeganPet food since I had them (one six 6 weeks of age the other was a few months old) and they don't complain! Working as a vet nurse I see many animals who get given too many different types of food and then become fussy and keep refusing until you give them something else. They like eating cat grass too and one of my cats loves rockmelon, baby spinach and papaya.

My omni bf feeds them cheese and a little bit of meat occasionallly which is a shame as the lady who makes VeganPet wanted ppl to volunteers their cats to get blood tests done to show they are healthy on an all vegan diet.

I haven't been as raw as I have been lately... I baked cupcakes on the weekend and last week I had a thing for bread and veggie burgers. It's hard when you get stuck back on those things.

My cat loves her cat grass too

littlemiss

Sorry. I didn't mean to start a cat food debate.
    Anyway, we started our green smoothy today, Made with a 1 bannana, 2apples, big handful of strawberries and 5 rommaine lettuce leaves. We enjoyed it but we were starving by 9. We had to eat a flapjack, if I go too long without food i pass out, we were quite dissapointed. I was prepared to not feel full and get past that but I was acidy after a while.
    Also it cost alot more to do the shopping this week, that was only introducing breakfast so dont think we can manage doing raw properly. I buy so much budget stuff I cant squeeze anymore out of our shopping bill
    On a brighter note I went to the ideal home show on Friday and vitamix had a stand and demo on. Wes topped because I said I'd heard good things on raw forums about them. First they made a friut smoothy, ALL of the fruit and it was lovely. Then she made soup, it was warmed by friction created by blunt blades, or somehting like that...It was lovely and warm but still raw soup. My mum was quite impressed too. The last thing was icecream but the demo was very impressive. If my mum had the money she would have bought one to share but they are SO expensive.
    Then we had a strange conversation when a friend of hers asked me why I dont drink milk and my mum started on a lecture on how cruel dairy farming is. I dont talk to her that much so this info was all her. She's known it for years but shes omni. People are very strange.
    Very disillusioned right now.

its no debate don't apologize!!

You are doing better than me littlemiss!! I really want a food processor it would be easier for me to create the recipes...also more will power!! lol Its hard not to eat cooked food when you cook it for other people!!

What food do you feed your cat Kitteh?!

Haha, yeah everyone here is friendly as, no need to apologise. It's much harder for cats (compared to dogs) to transition to new food esp. when they are adults. I was just lucky that I found this food when I got my first kitten and they like it, so win/win.

Mis Bettie it's called VeganPet Cat Food. They also make dog food, here is the link http://veganpet.com.au/articles/

Little Miss, isn't it funny when ppl will go on about how they don't like cruelty to animals and seem to know a lot about it, so you ask if they are veg*n and they're like "no, I love my cats tho" or something like that. Odd, but then I happily went along with life not asking too many q's and then as soon as I found out, I changed. Some ppl don't want to know or don't think they can make a difference or "it's just toooooo hard" :P

Zero

I don't think this has become a debate At least it doesn't seem that way.

I thought you were honestly looking into feeding your cat a vegan diet, I looked into it myself when I had a cat but given he had experienced kidney issues in the past I didn't think it would be the right thing to do, as I didn't want to risk his life. I had taken on the responsibility to take care of him since before I was vegan and I hated feeding him the cat food.

I was just sharing information I had looked into not debating.

Have a great one.

Anyway, we started our green smoothy today, Made with a 1 bannana, 2apples, big handful of strawberries and 5 rommaine lettuce leaves. We enjoyed it but we were starving by 9.

try adding some nuts and seeds (soaked overnight) into your smoothies missy, to add some bulk and fat to last longer. also try upping the number of bananas you use. how many people was your recipe for? you may need to use 2 - 4 depending.

if you look at your recipe, there are a lot of water based items there which are good but not enough to sustain for long i'd say.

good luck with developing the smoothies

p.s.
    good for upping the iron in a smoothie; spinach leaves, sesame seeds, soaked pumpkin seeds, soaked dates.
    Last edited by cedarblue; Apr 8th, 2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: added info

littlemiss

Everybody has got very defensive all of a sudden! Glad we are all ok about being ok with what we feed our cats, Phew!
    Yes, adding soaked nuts/seeds is a good idea, I'l try that today. Hubby had his with a bagel so he lasted til half 11, which is normal for him. I had jsut the smoothie but I slept all morning so not really a fair trial We had spinach today but I'd not added loads and people had advised not to start with loads. I'l try the soaked nuts tomorrow but I'm still adding more cost now.
    We're debating what we can do. I think we'll have to have the smoothies and raw meals once a week.

we just don't want to make you feel bad!! heh perhaps we are all a little too apologetic...

littlemiss, seeds will be cheaper than nuts to add and you don't need to add many nuts to add the extra bit of fat. use the cheapest you can afford although i have read and heard that almonds are perhaps the best all round nut nutritionally speaking. also half an avocado whizzed up in a smoothie will add good fat and energy - are they within your budget?

once a week sounds a good goal if you are feeling under pressure - far better to set an attainable goal even if the goal is set by budget, than to go beyond your current coping zone and feel defeated and out of pocket.

you could maybe try upto 12noon being raw at the weekend one or two days?

whatever you do - it's all good!

good luck

Quote Zero View Post
    I don't think this has become a debate At least it doesn't seem that way.
    Didn't seem that way to me either

littlemiss

You are full of pearls of wisdom cederblue! I do eat avacado's so putting them in the smoothie would be a good idea. Will try that tommorow. Today we had a smoothie with more spinach and soaked cashews (what I had in at the time) with a bunch of fruit. It was quite filling although I had another bad day so slept till 11 and managed to go into town but was not very hungry today so just had salad and bread for lunch. Hubby is still really eager to go on with raw so we're not giving up, just scaling down our plans a little. Having jackets and big salad for dinner. Hubby is hoping to live off of naked bars. He's also hoping to eat the flapjack I just made instead of dinner and thats not happening either...
    Thanx for your ongoing advice and encouragement!

I just wanted to say that I have started eating more raw foods, and I too am mostly just doing it for breakfast and lunch. I find it too difficult to have all my meals raw. I still have noticed a lot of benefits, I am trying to loose weight and since eating more raw foods, I have defiantly started to loose more, and defiantly feel more energetic. It's been about 3 weeks now. The key is balance!

Default Re: I've decided to attempt to go raw

Good work, it's amazing how much better you feel after a meal of fresh raw fruit/veg compared to cooked. The weather here is getting colder and I went back to posting on the Post Punk Kitchen forums which is all about cooking and baking which in turn has made me bake lots of cupcakes and bake things like tofu and cook tempeh. I feel so much heavier and like my weight loss has slowed down because I've increased the amount of cooked food I am eating But I've read a lot of rawbies say it's harder to stay raw over winter, need to get over that "It's cold so I need warm food" mentality, I spose.

I was about to say what do you mean winter?! its summer time...then I realized where you are...

Yup, it's actually Autumn but it's been raining/stormy since the weekend and v.chilly!

Quote Jules View Post
    and I too am mostly just doing it for breakfast and lunch. I find it too difficult to have all my meals raw.

that is what is working best for me at the moment too jules. i will try full days raw when the weather warms up in the summer - if it ever does!!

Okay. So I want to try this again. I am going to shoot for 30 days and see how it goes. Starting....July 1st.

-that is all

Awesome Missbettie!! You can do it!

thanks ella!! i shall let everyone know how it goes!

Go Miss Bettie

My raw has slipped majorly and I've been reading mixed info on it lately.
    I still have fruit for breakfast, a green smoothie and a salad daily but I've also been baking a lot.

I figure it's winter and my raw choices are limited
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

What kind of mixed info? I'm been raw almost a month now and I don't feel good. My energy sucks.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Theres a lot of people that dont think raw is the way to go. I dont think it works for everyone. I personally need more protein than raw allows. I've only done raw for like 2-3 weeks at a time and it just made my muscles sore and me tired all day long. I think its different for everyone.

Yeah, like Ella said, just some ppl who have been raw now saying it didn't work for them. And I wonder if my fainting during raw was due to being raw or something else.

We have a magazine here and a woman living in L.A was writing a column and often talked about her raw diet because it's so big over there. The last issue I just got she has totally had a turn around, she was sick, lost a lot of weight and she's stopped eating raw. I was amazed because I only ever read the good stories and dismiss the bad stuff as ppl who don't get it....

I wonder if it's not sustainable, in so many cases it seems it's not.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Just from my nutrition training in uni, I'd say the majority of dieticians and profs dont agree with it. I definitely think the fainting is caused by your eating raw. It's probably due to low blood pressure or low blood sugar, both of which I have.

Good points. I have low blood pressure too and I get really dizzy when I stand up. Doesn't seemed to have gotten worse with this diet though. I think I'll start introduced cooked foods back into my diet. I hope my body doesn't have a problem with that.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Zero

Generally if you have low blood pressure after switching to a raw diet, you are simply not eating enough. Take things slowly if you are intending to transition, it's not good to shock your body with a whole new regime all at once

I have low blood pressure from a heart condition. I can pass out over 20x a day because of it. I don't think it's because of not eating enough, just not enough sodium.

Zero

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    I have low blood pressure from a heart condition. I can pass out over 20x a day because of it. I don't think it's because of not eating enough, just not enough sodium.
    Indeed, that is why i started my sentence thusly: "Generally if you have low blood pressure after switching to a raw diet".
    You already have low blood pressure therefore my comment does not apply to you.

Well, I started eating cooked foods again yesterday and I feel great. Raw seems to work really well for some people but it's definitely not for me.