Thread: My Sweet Vegan

Default My Sweet Vegan

My copy just arrived today so I haven't had a chance to try any of the recipes yet, but on first glance it looks a good book. Each recipe comes (unusually for a vegan cookbook) with a full colour photo of the finished dessert and my word each and every one of them looks absolutely glorious.

There are sections on 'Sweet Starts' such as muffins, scones, donuts etc, Cookies and Bars, Cakes and Cupcakes, Pies and Tarts and Miscellaneous Morsels such as fudge, truffles, trifle and parfait.

Does anyone else have this cookbook yet and tried any of the recipes?

In case anyone else is interested in trying to track it down (I had to order mine from Amazon in the US as I couldn't find it available thru' any UK sellers) here are the book details:-

Title - My Sweet Vegan
    Author - Hannah Kaminsky
    ISBN 0-9791286-1-7
    Publisher - Fleming Ink

website - www.mysweetvegan.com
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Default Re: My Sweet Vegan

I think I'm about to place an Amazon order, and I would like to include My Sweet Vegan. Her recipe for Cinnamon Rolls is on the Amazon page and the rest of the recipes sounds yummo.

Mine has arrrrrived!

any feedback on this book?

i've had mine for a few months now, and i find everything way too sugary (and lots of margarine is used in most of recipes as well), and i wasn't able to get few ingredients nowhere in this silly country (such as cream cheese etc).

though, when i reduced the amount of suggar (and added some coconut flout ), the banana cake was really yummy (covered with melted choc, not that icing :S).
    Life is about having to change ... Taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

ANOUK
    For a yummy banana cake, i just found (and just baked) this recipe.
    I cut the 1/2 cup of white sugar so it shouldn't be too sweet.
    They all swear on it. Soon i'll know too!!
    http://www.grouprecipes.com/23052/ve...ana-bread.html

PS It's just out of the oven. It looks great!
    I added some raisins (1/3 cup) and substituted apples with some apple sauce.
    They don't sell "all spice" where I live so I cut that out too.
    It smells delicious...

I still have not used mine, I'm terrible with cookbooks!
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

We should order this to convince my mom of the wonders of a vegan diet...as my dad likes to say, "Doesn't taste healthy at all!" :P

Quote Kitteh View Post
    I still have not used mine, I'm terrible with cookbooks!
    I've hardly used mine tbh, I've made probably four or five things from it. With the exception of the Peach Melba cake the recipes ended up a bit mediocre and bland tasting.
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

I made the bananas fosters cake into cupcakes and they were scrumptious. They didn't get puffy quite like a cupcake should, but it wasn't a cupcake recipe so I didn't mind. They were so moist and tasty.

That said, this is definitely not a healthy sweets type of book (which is why I've only tried one recipe so far). But it is a delicious sweets type of book.
    veganhomemade.wordpress.com

Oh, yeah, it's just that my parents have a hard time sometimes remembering that not everything vegan is necessarily health food - better because it doesn't have the animal fats, but it can still be loaded with fat and sugar if you want it to!

This doesn't sound like everyone's raving about this one. Maybe I'll give it a miss.

I've heard other ppl really love it, I just don't use my cookbooks enough I buy 'em and then cook things I already know how to make I will make something from this soon and comment

And you can check out her blog for ideas on what her cooking style is too http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com/
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

I want to branch out and start baking sweet foods more often. Is this a good book to pick up and practice dessert making with?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I was really disappointed with it tbh - the pics look quite nice, but the recipes weren't terribly appealing when I started to read them, and tended to need quite a lot of stuff. I made the peanut butter bombe things and thought they were decidedly meh. I don't think it will make it through my next cookbook cull...

Shame.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Her blog is good tho. lmso

I'd buy it but I never use cookbooks...

I have this. I actually quite like it, although I've only made a few things in it so far. I believe I've made, so far, Crumb-Topped Brownies and Cookies and Creme Pound Cake. I really haven't made much from that cookbook yet, have I? Anyway, I quite liked both of those recipes. I do have a sweet tooth, though, so maybe it's not for everyone.

OMg, looks great! I'm going to order it from Amazon now!
    oooh the delights

I made the blondies and thought they were a bit bland and needed an extra something. The peanut butter bombs were pretty good. The chocolate torte (I forget the exact name) was a total win. I served it to my (very wealthy, very snobby, completely opposite to me, not at all vegan) cousin who just couldn't believe it. She said it was nicer than anything she had had at a Michelin 3* restaurant. That alone justified buying the book!
    Live and let live

I was given this by a friend, I agree that it is quite a nice book in itself, however, I haven't used it a huge amount either, I do like that it doesn't rely on a constant supply of egg replacer though. Like I said, haven't used it much, but the fudge turned out pretty well!

Does anyone have the book 'Vegan à la mode' by the same author? All of the recipes are for ice-cream. It is a beautiful book with full-colour photos for every recipe. I haven't made anything from mine yet as my ice-cream maker is at home, but it looks very goumet and creative.
    Houmous atá ann!

I was given this book as a gift... I LOVE it!!
    The carrot cake was the best I have ever tasted. My omni family could not believe it was vegan, it was the best they'd ever tasted too.
    The chocolate torte was also really delicious, I did have to adapt it slightly though as the only dish I had was a bit bigger than the size suggested and I prefer a larger biscuity base to the one in the recipe.
    The peanut butter chocolate squares were also AMAZING, as well as the peanut butter chocolate brownies.

I haven't made everything in the book, only really the things mentioned above as I tend to pick and choose what I think will be nice. All in all, I usually avoid recipes that have loads of ingredients, partly because I'm lazy and partly because I can't afford to make things with such a large amount of (often expensive) ingredients. This book though I will make an exception for and it's definitely on my favourites list.

I was a little surprised that it didn't go down well with others on here as I enjoy it so much, having said that I am rather an 'unhealthy vegan', dabbling in calorie and fat intensive foods occasionally.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Does anyone have the book 'Vegan à la mode' by the same author? All of the recipes are for ice-cream. It is a beautiful book with full-colour photos for every recipe. I haven't made anything from mine yet as my ice-cream maker is at home, but it looks very goumet and creative.
    Thanks for posting this, I'll definitely be interested in anything by the same author.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.