Thread: Salt

Default Salt

How do I know if I have enough salt in my diet? I eat very little processes foods as I am celiac and make almost everything from scratch. I hardly add any extra salt to my diet and can easily go days just eating raw fruit, grains etc

Should I be adding salt to my food or taking some sort of supplement?

Default Re: Salt

Whether we need this much of that, or that much of this, the subject of nutrition is very debatable.
    Listen to your own body, it usually knows best.
    As for salt, you might be interested that Australia is about to start adding iodine to cow's milk, because a study of primary school children found that half of them were deficient in iodine (too bad for kids who are allergic to dairy, or god forbid, vegan). Table salt is usually iodised, but more families are using sea salt without added iodine, and the salt used in processed food usually isn't iodised.
    I'm not saying that you're necessarily going to be iodine deficient if you don't eat enough salt... and there are probably other sources anyway. I would say that the question of how much iodine each one of us actually needs to survive and thrive is not certain.
    Personally I love salt

I think I'm fine for Iodine as I take supplements for that. In the UK table salt isn’t Iodised.

I sometimes suddenly feel really run down as if I am dehydrated even when I have drank a stupid amount of water. It has started to dawn on me that this may be when I haven’t had enough salt in my diet and drinking lots has washed away what salt I did have in my system. I know it can cause a lot of problems with how your body functions if you don’t.

There is so much info out there about getting too much salt but can’t find much about not consuming enough. Most people find it hard to cut it down because of all the processed food they eat.

If you really don't like eating salt as is, maybe you could try eating saltier foods? Like seaweed, canned beans, canned vegan soups, etc? Those are still relatively healthy (especially the seaweed) and you will salt from it.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I like the taste of salt, but I’m used to having so little in my diet that I don’t notice when it isn’t there. Maybe I will try adding more salt to my foods and try including seaweed. I can never find any soup that doesn’t have wheat flour to thicken it, but I will add more salt to my homemade soups and stews.

I think that the upper limit of salt in your diet is about 6g, do you know how much is your lower limit?