Thread: I'm getting annoyed by raw food sites

Default I'm getting annoyed by raw food sites

that use bee products - argh! why do people say that they are raw vegans and then say use honey or pollen. Pisses me off no end!

Default Re: I'm getting annoyed by raw food sites

Yes, it is annoying isn't it. Yesterday, I found what I thought was a vegan eye cream (for wrinkles) as it said, "no animal products" and "no animal testing" on the box. I decided to read the ingredients and lo and behold, beeswax was 2nd on the list

i'm presuming because honey is deemed a 'natural' product as opposed to a product like sugar?? - although obviously not vegan.

the programme on a week or so ago about raw foodists had a woman on their who was raw and said that the pollen is collected on the bees while they visit flowers and then is deposited as they enter the hive?? i don't know about that either but as it's not a body product like honey maybe thats what she meant?

anyway - i know what you mean - i just ignore it and replace it if necessary.

Oh what, like the bees wiping their feet on the doormat? Grrr. And did she suggest it's just by bloody miracle that they get hold of industrial qualities of bee pollen then, rather than by intensive bee-husbandry.

it probably sounded convincing to a non-vegan though and if you hadn't done any research into honey/pollen production either.

It could lead to disappointment - say someone saw it and thought ok i will go vegan and started there and then found out about the bee products they could think it had all been for nothing and get dejected. Mind you I suppose if you have really made your mind up then nothing will stop you so perhaps those people would fold after a while anyhoo. Oh god rambling again!

Quote vavavegan View Post
    Oh god rambling again!
    it's your age, luv!

Quote cedarblue View Post
    it's your age, luv!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX0iqZMwo8Q

idiocy - i haven't watched all of it but she is using honey and she said it is ok to use this honey as it is produced by vegans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that dorrit is weird, i've seen her before. think she's a friend of the gardendiet dot com family, who also use 'raw' honey.

Zero

Quote vavavegan View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX0iqZMwo8Q

idiocy - i haven't watched all of it but she is using honey and she said it is ok to use this honey as it is produced by vegans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It depends upon one's definition of veganism. Most of us say that insects are animals, and so insect products, like honey and silk, are not considered vegan.

There are people who consider themselves vegan, and are not opposed to using insect products, because they do not believe insects are conscious of pain.

Moreover, even if insects were conscious of pain, it's not clear that the production of honey involves any more pain for insects than the production of most vegetables, since the harvesting and transportation of all vegetables involves many 'collateral' insect deaths.

Personally I think they do feel pain and do not want to be involved in the exploitation.

We also must consider the fact that Bee's are an important part of the eco system and that system needs to be respected.

I have also heard of "Bee free", not exactly sure how they do it though. However, that may be what she is talking about in the video.

Regarless of this though I consider it an animal product and an unbalanced sugar so if I really need a sweet syrup I will stick with Agave Necter.

I agree with Zero. I've been using agave nectar since I became vegan ... now just thinking about raw honey, it seems so heavy in comparison.

I saw the bit about nectar too. Apparently it is brushed off their legs as they enter the hive...she was holding a huge jar of it as she said it!!
    Even if the bees are not hurt, the point is that we are interfering and using them/something from their 'world' for our own selfish pleasure...so it shouldn't be part of a vegan diet. Certainly doesn't need to be.

Zero

Quote emmy View Post
    I saw the bit about nectar too. Apparently it is brushed off their legs as they enter the hive...she was holding a huge jar of it as she said it!!
    Even if the bees are not hurt, the point is that we are interfering and using them/something from their 'world' for our own selfish pleasure...so it shouldn't be part of a vegan diet. Certainly doesn't need to be.
    Absolutely, it is still an animal product regardless of how it is made and therefore has no place in a vegan diet.

I just grab the bees and suck the pollen off of their back legs. Maybe that is why my lips are swollen??!!

Zero

Quote belleadonna View Post
    I just grab the bees and suck the pollen off of their back legs. Maybe that is why my lips are swollen??!!
    Haha, such things you say, you freak! But freaky is my kind of people!

Yup, that's me. Freaky all the way!!