Thread: Vegan restaurants in New Jersey?

Question Vegan restaurants in New Jersey?

does anyone know of any good vegan restaurants in nj?

Default Re: Vegan restaurants in NJ?

How about Veggie Heaven? There's one in Montclair, one in Parsippany and one in Teaneck (my favorite).

Also, Farm Boy health food store in Hoboken, has a counter and makes a lot of delicious vegan dishes. ALWAYS great music and great service. I've been going there since the 1980s.

If you don't mind going to a place that's not entirely vegan but has great vegan options, I can give you more options, just let me know.

Quote Healthy View Post
    How about Veggie Heaven? There's one in Montclair, one in Parsippany and one in Teaneck (my favorite).

Also, Farm Boy health food store in Hoboken, has a counter and makes a lot of delicious vegan dishes. ALWAYS great music and great service. I've been going there since the 1980s.

If you don't mind going to a place that's not entirely vegan but has great vegan options, I can give you more options, just let me know.
    oh no, i don't mind going to a place that is not all vegan. my bf is not even vegetarian..so its actually a better option. the only thing with those places is that they are all up in north jersey, which is actually where i used to live and work. but now i live in south jersey..so i don't have as many choices. anything you know of in this area? thanks!!

South Jersey -- lucky you!! I just came from there! (I spent three days in the Wildwoods, Cape May and Surf City!)

Are you near Cape May? There's the Bella Vida Garden Cafe!! Perfect for you and your boyfriend (my boyfriend isn't vegan either and we both loved it!)

They have both vegan and omni options (more omni options though).

I had a fabulous vegan salad called the Hallelujah Salad (it wasn't organic though, which disappointed me, because I'm a food snob, ha-ha!) and a vegan banana "ice cream" which was FANTASTIC!

They have organic coffee, all sorts of teas, hummus, veggie burgers (not sure if they are vegan, I always stay clear of veggie burgers just in case),

The service is slow, but the people there are sooooo nice.

It's cute because it's biblically themed. I'm not Christian, but I enjoy the light-hearted vibe.

Here's a link to the place: http://www.bellavidacafe.com/

Hey, how did you make the transition from working and living up north to working and living in South Jersey?

NJ has quite a few options.

I second the recommendation for Veggie Heaven. It's delightful. They also make kick-ass cakes.

There's Kaya's Kitchen (formerly VeggieWorks) in Belmar. This is probably my favorite NJ resturant. Everything is good, and they have vegan desserts. All the food is vegan, but you can get regular cheese and sour cream as options on some entrees. Try the banana cake with mocha frosting; you won't be disappointed.

Sister Sue's is a terrific Trinidadian resturant in Asbury Park. It is not all vegan, but they have a decent vegan section on the menu. I love the vegan lemon chicken! If you go there, try the sorrel. It's a Trinidadian drink made from hibiscus flowers. It's sweet and sour and totally unique.

Also in Asbury Park, there is Twisted Tree Cafe. This is a small place that has a good selection of wraps, sandwiches, juices, and soups. It's great place for lunch or a quick bite. The owner is super nice, and it has a really laidback atmosphere.

That's all I have time to include right now.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

Quote Healthy View Post
    Here's a link to the place: http://www.bellavidacafe.com/
    I just took a look at their website. For an omni restaurant they have an awesome veggie menu!

Quote rantipole View Post
    NJ has quite a few options.

I second the recommendation for Veggie Heaven. It's delightful. They also make kick-ass cakes.

There's Kaya's Kitchen (formerly VeggieWorks) in Belmar. This is probably my favorite NJ resturant. Everything is good, and they have vegan desserts. All the food is vegan, but you can get regular cheese and sour cream as options on some entrees. Try the banana cake with mocha frosting; you won't be disappointed.

Sister Sue's is a terrific Trinidadian resturant in Asbury Park. It is not all vegan, but they have a decent vegan section on the menu. I love the vegan lemon chicken! If you go there, try the sorrel. It's a Trinidadian drink made from hibiscus flowers. It's sweet and sour and totally unique.

Also in Asbury Park, there is Twisted Tree Cafe. This is a small place that has a good selection of wraps, sandwiches, juices, and soups. It's great place for lunch or a quick bite. The owner is super nice, and it has a really laidback atmosphere.

That's all I have time to include right now.

Cheers,
    rant
    wow..thank you! i have heard of both Kaya's Kitchen and Twisted Tree but haven't tried either of them yet. I will have to get there. I did however try a place in Red Bank called Siam Garden over the weekend. It is thai food and they are not all veggie but they have a vegetarian section on their menu. it was pretty good. Also in Red Bank, Down to Earth. I went to this place a long time ago and loved it. Haven't been back but I would like to make a trip soon. I see you are in that area...these are worth checking out if you haven't already.

Quote veggiemaya View Post
    wow..thank you! i have heard of both Kaya's Kitchen and Twisted Tree but haven't tried either of them yet. I will have to get there. I did however try a place in Red Bank called Siam Garden over the weekend. It is thai food and they are not all veggie but they have a vegetarian section on their menu. it was pretty good. Also in Red Bank, Down to Earth. I went to this place a long time ago and loved it. Haven't been back but I would like to make a trip soon. I see you are in that area...these are worth checking out if you haven't already.
    Siam Garden is one of the best Thai resturants I've been to in NJ (there are two in Ithaca, NY that are the best I've tasted). I also really like the atmosphere there.

Unfortunately, Down to Earth is no more. There was some kind of dispute between the owner and the landlord I think. By chance I went the night before it closed and ate the chickpea socca for the last time They did publish a cookbook. It's a little labor intensive, but if you want to make a special meal once in a while, there are some amazing things in it. Sigh. Now I'm missing Down to Earth.

Cheers,
    rant

Rantipole, I had the pleasure of dining at Down to Earth once before they closed down ... it was hard for me to get there because they were closed on Sundays (and that was my only day off for a long time). I loved that place though ... great atmosphere, great food, great service, great vegan desserts (even raw food desserts) and when I was there they played lots of Johnny Cash.

Siam Garden is one of the best Thai resturants I've been to in NJ (there are two in Ithaca, NY that are the best I've tasted). I also really like the atmosphere there.

Unfortunately, Down to Earth is no more. There was some kind of dispute between the owner and the landlord I think. By chance I went the night before it closed and ate the chickpea socca for the last time They did publish a cookbook. It's a little labor intensive, but if you want to make a special meal once in a while, there are some amazing things in it. Sigh. Now I'm missing Down to Earth.

Cheers,
    rant
    you should have seen my face when i just read that! something like this......
    i cant believe it..i had no idea! i am so sad..i didn't even have a chance to say goodbye! haha! bummer...oh well, guess i will have to continue the search. but yeah, Siam was great. and i loooove the way that place looks. i will say though.. i got the veg chicken and when i saw it, i got scared that they brought me actual meat! my bf tried it (omni) and said "its def not meat". but it was so close, i was hesitant to eat it! we are both looking forward to getting back there soon.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

That is sad news about Down to Earth.

Yeah, when I was in NJ this summer we went to Down to Earth and were SO disappointed to find that it had closed I had vegan tiramisu there once that was unbelievable. They were actually the ones who turned me on to nutritional yeast which is now a staple in my cabinet.
    I also love Kaya's Kitchen though. All the food I've had there is awesome. I would highly recommend the House-style Pierogies (fresh potato and spinach pierogies sautéed with seitan, onions, and spinach in gravy sauce) and the Grilled Veggie Melt. The people who work there are very friendly and the atmosphere is relaxing.
    Also, I know this isn't a "restaurant," but if you need to go grocery shopping, Wegmans has a huge organic/vegetarian/vegan product selection.
    I hope you find some good places to eat!

Mahk

Veggiemaya, what exit are you? I'm sorry, I couldn't resist that old joke about NJ.

Here is a great site for everyone, that I learned about in another thread, to determine veg*n friendly restaurants for any location on the surface of my avatar picture.

Here's NJ.

Quote sinarei View Post
    Yeah, when I was in NJ this summer we went to Down to Earth and were SO disappointed to find that it had closed I had vegan tiramisu there once that was unbelievable. They were actually the ones who turned me on to nutritional yeast which is now a staple in my cabinet.
    I also love Kaya's Kitchen though. All the food I've had there is awesome. I would highly recommend the House-style Pierogies (fresh potato and spinach pierogies sautéed with seitan, onions, and spinach in gravy sauce) and the Grilled Veggie Melt. The people who work there are very friendly and the atmosphere is relaxing.
    Also, I know this isn't a "restaurant," but if you need to go grocery shopping, Wegmans has a huge organic/vegetarian/vegan product selection.
    I hope you find some good places to eat!
    yeah, i definitely need to try Kaya's Kitchen soon. That all sounds really good. And actually, I love Wegmans. I shop there for a lot of things that I might not be able to get at the natural market, Dean's that is also around my area. Whole Foods isn't very far from me either, but by the time I leave that place, I usually need to take out a mortgage!
    Also, would you mind sharing the nutritional yeast info?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

Quote Mahk View Post
    Veggiemaya, what exit are you? I'm sorry, I couldn't resist that old joke about NJ.

Here is a great site for everyone, that I learned about in another thread, to determine veg*n friendly restaurants for any location on the surface of my avatar picture.

Here's NJ.
    wow, that is really helpful! also because my bf lives in south jersey but is not vegan, so i really dont have an idea of the places in his area either. thanks so much!

oh, and i'm exit 105..haha!

I used to be skeptical when I saw “nutritional yeast” in recipes and such. I’m aware that it sounds kind of weird, and I have spent my share of time trying to convince family/friends that it is GOOD (once they try it in something, they’re fans).
    As I said, the first time I had it was at Down to Earth. They covered tofu with it and baked it to make “tofu nuggets.” In fact, the head chef just happened to come out while I was there and explained to me, among other things, what nutritional yeast actually is.
    Basically, it comes in flake/powder form and is packed with protein (about 4g/Tablespoon) and B-vitamins (especially vitamin B12 which vegans need to make sure they get). It imparts a “cheesy”/creamy flavor to what ever you add it to. I throw it in tons of different things (i.e. soups, vegetable stir-fry, tofu, chili, salad, pasta, gravies/sauces/dressings, fajitas, burritos, popcorn, lasagna… just to name a few). Nutritional yeast, I find, adds that something extra that puts the dish over the top and deepens the flavor.
    Generally you can usually find it in the bulk section of your grocery store or on the shelf prepackaged. It’s extremely healthy and tastes amazing… pretty much a win-win situation. I would highly recommend experimenting with adding it to different recipes (they actually have a whole vegan cookbook based on the stuff). Enjoy!

Mahk- I actually use that site a lot. It especially comes in handy if you’re traveling somewhere and you want to find places where you can get vegan food. People also post reviews of the places there which really help. In fact, that is the site that I discovered Down to Earth and Kaya’s Kitchen on.

nutritional yeast” ..... It’s extremely healthy and tastes amazing… pretty much a win-win situation. I would highly recommend experimenting with adding it to different recipes (they actually have a whole vegan cookbook based on the stuff). Enjoy!

wow, that really does sound like something i would like to try. i think its just the fact that it is called nutritional yeast that turns people off, or keeps them from trying it. but i am going to give it a shot.. thanks so much for the explaination!

Default Re: Vegan restaurants in New Jersey?

Yesterday I had lunch at Veggie Heaven in Montclair, their lunch special only came to $6.35 with tax.

I had hot and sour soup; "shrimp" in hot chili sauce and brown rice.

So delicious!

This was a treat though ... I normally don't eat that heavy for lunch. I had the day off and I was on the run. Had to stop to eat or I'd get a headache.

Quote Healthy View Post
    Yesterday I had lunch at Veggie Heaven in Montclair, their lunch special only came to $6.35 with tax.

I had hot and sour soup; "shrimp" in hot chili sauce and brown rice.

So delicious!

This was a treat though ... I normally don't eat that heavy for lunch. I had the day off and I was on the run. Had to stop to eat or I'd get a headache.
    that sounds like a good lunch. i was actually thinking of taking a ride maybe to kaya's kitchen to check it out today, being i have never been there yet. i must admit...i am still not over Down to Earth closing. would have loved to go there today. oh well..i must move on.

Dean's Natural Grocery is another great place to buy vegan supplies. Anything you can't find at Wegman's you can likely find there, along with all kinds of supplements, toiletries, and environmentally friendly paper products. And Dean himself is a very nice guy. I shop there as much as can so that I can support a local business.

Their juice bar is pretty great and they have a wonderful organic coffee seleciton.

I work off of Exit 100 and live off of exit 125.

Cheers,
    rant

Rant I was just in Dean's on Sunday! I love that place. I found organic kumquats -- of all things!! I'm a bit far though, although you may be the closest person to me from this forum -- I'm at Exit 138 (and I work off Exit 148 -- soon to be no more though, like in a month, yahoo!)

Dean's Natural Grocery is another great place to buy vegan supplies. Anything you can't find at Wegman's you can likely find there, along with all kinds of supplements, toiletries, and environmentally friendly paper products. And Dean himself is a very nice guy. I shop there as much as can so that I can support a local business.

Their juice bar is pretty great and they have a wonderful organic coffee seleciton.

I work off of Exit 100 and live off of exit 125.

Cheers,
    rant
    i love Dean's!! i was there on saturday. i love their salad bar too! i got these yummy tofu sushi rolls and some tofu mixed with edemame that was delish! honestly i usually have a hard time trying to decide what to buy when i am there because i would like to try it all! i am lucky to have both of their locations very close to me. i am at exit 105. i go to the one in shrewsbury that is right down the road from my gym, and the one in ocean directly across from Wegmans. i haven't tried their coffee yet but i am sure i will.

Dean's does have a great salad bar. Mos' def'! They often have good hot soups. If you ever see the carrot cashew ginger soup, but it immediately! I could practically live on the stuff.

We should have a forum gathering for the NJ folks. We could converge on Kaya's Kitchen or some other cool place.

Cheers,
    rant

Dean's does have a great salad bar. Mos' def'! They often have good hot soups. If you ever see the carrot cashew ginger soup, but it immediately! I could practically live on the stuff.

We should have a forum gathering for the NJ folks. We could converge on Kaya's Kitchen or some other cool place.

Cheers,
    rant
    oh my goodness i think they had that flavor soup there on saturday!! and i was going to get it but i think something else caught my eye and i walked away. now i know for next time.
    a gathering at Kaya's....sounds like fun!!

Count me in for the gathering!

For a website of NJ restaurants and stores that offer vegan options, check out www.vegnj.com!

cool...thanks, onnamission

When are we doing the Kaya's gathering? I'm booked in much of August.

Cheers,
    rant

Veggie heaven is pretty good

my favorite dish is orange chicken. i've only eaten at the teaneck one.

spicy hunan dumplings, very delicious!

shu mai...kind of like fried chinese sushi?

wonton soup!

I forget what this is called but it had a texture that wasn't so appealing to me

mango pudding almond cheesecake, gooood!

I just had to say how obsessed I am with Veggie Heaven. Obsessed! And I'm there so much, they know all about my gluten allergy and help me out with what to avoid Love them! Totally worth the hour and a half drive now that I'm stuck in Ocean County (but if my friends ask, I'm up there to visit them.. not for the veggieheavenness.)