Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Remedies

Default Sore throats? Cold remedies

I keep getting colds this winter. I know it's because I am over stressed at work and don't get enough sleep. I also have asthma and allergies.

I seem to have a sore throat again, and am stuffed up. Any tips for treating a cold w/sore throat?

I used to find it worked well to eat a huge meal and then sleep for about 12 hours, but I haven't really the time.

I've had the same problem the last couple of weeks. I try to avoid drugs when possible, but I was so uncomfortable at night and unable to sleep that I took NyQuil (liquid form). I read over all the ingredients and also researched on the web but couldn't find anything that indicated it is non-vegan. I would be interested in hearing people's ideas for more natural alternatives.

I hope you feel better soon.

Yea. I like to get a goodly amount of shredded ginger into a simmering pot of tea and then drink the works. It makes me feel better when I feel cold coming on. I also increase my spicy foods intake.

I also try to get in all the Vitamin C I can. I stack my fridge with lots of red and yellow bellpeppers cause they've got more C than oranges do.

tails4wagging

The best cure for a sore throat is raspberry or blackberry vinegar taken in a small dose in warm water, very soothing and vinegar is natural healer.

I always make my own and it keeps for a couple of years, everytime any one near me has a sore throat they always ask me for some as it seems to soothe and I find drinking it when you go to bed it instantly soothes it and helps you sleep.

PinkFluffyCloud

Simple steam inhalation several times a day will ease congestion and kill off the germs.

PinkFluffyCloud

Gargling with very salty warm water also kills off nasties in the throat.

Gargle with a weak solution of tea tree (probably kills every known bug to man)! I take Echinacea during the winter months starting about September to boost my immune system, it seems to work. I also take Vitamin C every day. I haven't had a cold or the 'flu in years.......touch wood Saw this product on the web, looks quite interesting:-

www.21stcenturyhealth.co.uk

Vitamist Echinacea + G
    Oral spray supplement. Echinacea and Goldenseal boost the immune system against colds, flu and other viruses. It has Ginkgo Biloba to enhance blood flow to the brain and improved overall mental function, Vitamin B12 for energy metabolism, immune function and nerve function, Niacin for the production of energy and the functioning of the central nervous system, Acetyl-L-Carnitine for age-related memory defects, Choline for maintaining the central nervous system and in numerous metabolic functions, Inositol for proper nerve, brain and muscle function, and Phosphatidylserine to enhance memory and brain function.

Hope you feel better soon x

Thanks guys. I tried the salt water this morning because I remembered a nun in college telling me about it. It made my throat feel better but I wasn't sure how it was working until I read the responses. Killing off everything makes sense, but it really soothed it right away too.

I swear by 100% Tee Tree Oil and use it for everything. and i mean EVERYTHING. I will have to do a gargle with that as well. My right ear feels kinda clogged and then the right side of my throat really hurts.

the stream helps, but I have asthma so I can't really breathe it in too much because it is a lung irritant - gee i sound so much less healthy than i think i am! But I did take a shower to help clear everything out and last night had a bath with some tee tree oil in it.

I didn't know that about the vinegar, I was craving vinegar this week (balsamic) and was eating it with red/orange/green peppers and potatos and olive oil and garlic as a salad. One would think that would have helped fight this off, with the vitamins, garlic and vinegar. I also was craving garlic this week, which I have heard helps boost immune system and fight off germs. Funny how the body works, isn't it? I have found i crave foods and then I find out that they are good for what I have.

Thanks everyone. I haven't tried echinacea or ginger. it is soo cold here or maybe I would go out to the store and get some. My s/o loves really strong ginger beer when sick. A tea sounds better!

Quote tails4wagging
    The best cure for a sore throat is raspberry or blackberry vinegar taken in a small dose in warm water, very soothing and vinegar is natural healer.

I always make my own and it keeps for a couple of years, everytime any one near me has a sore throat they always ask me for some as it seems to soothe and I find drinking it when you go to bed it instantly soothes it and helps you sleep.
    how do you make vinegar? Is it just fermented raspberries? I feel like i should know this....

Quote Atlanta Newbie
    I've had the same problem the last couple of weeks. I try to avoid drugs when possible, but I was so uncomfortable at night and unable to sleep that I took NyQuil (liquid form). I read over all the ingredients and also researched on the web but couldn't find anything that indicated it is non-vegan. I would be interested in hearing people's ideas for more natural alternatives.

I hope you feel better soon.
    Nyquil is made by Proctor and Gamble - a very big and evil company. They conduct animal testing on a large scale. Therefore, I consider Nyquil to be un-vegan.

I hope you can find an alternative to Nyquil, so that you do not have to support Proctor and Gamble.

I tried the tee tree oil and hot water gargle and my sore throat is basically gone - amazing! can't explain why...but it worked!

I am still stuffed up, but the sore throat is at least taken care of. Breathing on some of the hot water/tee tree oil seemed to help clear my sinusis a bit.

tails4wagging

I will post the raspberry /blackberry vinegar recipe on the food section.

tails4wagging

Default Raspberry/blackberry vinegar, good for colds etc

Ingredients: Equal amounts of fruit to vinegar.
    granulated sugar.

Marinate the fruit and vinegar for 3 weeks (thats right three weeks!)

Strain through a muslin cloth, squeese the cloth thoroughly to get the maximum liquid.

For every pint of liquid you get add the equal amounts of sugar ie. pint of liquid to a pound of sugar. Put this in a saucepan and heat until the sugar has melted. Cool then bottle (glass bottle). This can keep for a couple of years.

It can be used medicinally (ideal for sore throats, dilute a small amount in warm water and drink)
    Or it can be used to add to desserts such as tempura battered items.

Actually nothing can cure a cold, it just has to work itself out - tests have shown that whether or not you take the usual remedies, the cold goes away at the same time for people who don't take the remedies. Just keep away from people who cough and sneeze without covering their mouths - and make sure that your immune system is working well. That way you won't get the cold in the first place.
    Eve

heres a recipe for a natural nyquil i found a while ago

-thin slice of ginger
    -one clove of garlic (peeled and scored)
    -1 tbs apple cider vinegar
    -dash of rum (for the sleepy effect)

steep and drink
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

3 weeks? By that time, my cold will have either gotten worse to the point that the vinegar thing won't work OR it will have gone on it's own.

Or maybe you're suppose to make it beforehand? When you think cold-season will hit???

tails4wagging

Yes, dear!!!. make it anytime and keep it in stock!!

Default Sore throats

What are some good vegan remedies for a sore/itchy throat?

My nasal spray for my sinuses give me sore throats (I know the spray probably isn't vegan...but I can't live with paralyzing headaches).

gargle with warm salt water a few times a day. it works really well. use 1/4 tsp salt to 1/2 cup water.

What Foxy said. I think it's very effective

A bit back someone posted to gargle with 100% Tea Tree Oil and warm water which I tried and thought it worked even better than the salt. And the soothing tea tree oil fumes cleared my sinusis. : )

Dissolve a soluble asprin in some water and then gargle with this ... take the chill off the water first so that it feels more comfy when you gargle.

i like Herbon sugar-free cherry throat lozenges and Ricola (also sugar-free) are quite good too if you can buy them where you are. i can't be doing with the salt/aspirin gargling it makes me want to throw up LOL
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

if you can make sage tea, this is good to gargle with.
    also i think zinc lozenges are good too.

Thanks guys!

I have also been drinking some lemon-water and eating some lemon wedges because that's what my grandmother used to do when she had sore throats. Seems to work.

Default what do you eat when you are sick?

I have been sick for the past week, and the dr prescribed sleep and chicken soup (and some codiene to get me to sleep, and some ibuorofen to bring down the swelling in my tonsils so I can eat soup). He also said to eat cold stuff.

I did buy some Fantastic brand Vegetarain Chicken Noodle Soup, it was OK. (all but a bowl is still in my fridge in a stock pot, it made a lot!)

Thai Kitchen Noodles are pretty good - Thai Ginger helped my throat. Also very light.

Soy Decadent is cold, so I took the dr's advice and bought 2 pints (Cookie Avalanche and Prailine Pecan)

Popsicles are yummy.

Amy's brand vegan pot pies are good.

I didn't want to drink soda, so I have been drinking seltzer water and fortified orange juice.

I am trying to eat fruit as well so that i can get some vitamins.

I am getting a little better...my tonsils were so swollen they were pressing on my ears and causing them to ache and ring and the sides of my face were numb - I had never felt such pain! Tonsil swelling is down, but now it has moved to a cough and stuffy/blocked nose. I hate it when my nose runs yet I can't even sniff. I also have some sort of eye infection I think... I am a huge mess... but i keep reminding myself that I will live.

What do you eat when you are sick? I just remember as a child eating mac and cheese, chicken noodle soup, grilled cheese and OMG - jello! eeeeek!

well i guess it depends on what kind of sick you are...

I like to eat bananas...easy on the tummy
    oatmeal.....
    basically anything REALLY nutritious to get your immune system in shape
    tomato soup!!!!
    maybe some coooold soy yogurt....to get some good bacteria...you could much up some banana in it...orrrrrr better yet!!...you could freeze a banana ...and blend it with soy yogurt....that would be sooooo good for you....cold.....not too harsh on the tummy.....and nutritious

I've been sick the last 3 days and have had a problem keeping stuff down. Last night, I made organic brown rice and mixed in a can of organic pumpkin. It was like a porridge rather than a soup and it seemed to work, filled me up without coming up again. I've been doing fruit smoothies since swallowing is a problem as well.

Question Fever

Is there anything I can do to help a fever pass quickly? I don't have much of a fever, only about 1.5 degrees above my ususal temp., but it certainly isn't pleasant.

white willow bark. its the natural aspirin and brings down fevers, aswell as relieves any aches and pains. heres a link for it:

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...,10069,00.html

Stu

If you've got a cold, the simplest thing you can do is get loads of Vitamin C. Oranges (and similar citrus fruits like mandarins, clemantines, tangerines etc) are really really good, so try and eat at least a couple of those a day (although be warned: they can have a laxative effect!).

Also, if I've got a cold or something similar, I still try to go for my run. If you feel you can manage it, physical activity kick-starts your body. Plus, the sweating is good for getting toxins out of your system.

So basically keep warm, get lots of sleep and eat as well as you can (even though you might not feel like it). Maybe have a nice hot bath (inhaling the steam can do you a world of good), or get tucked up on bed with a hot water bottle.

If none of that works, you could try sacrificing a young virgin to Our Lord and Master Be'elzebub, in some local woodland. It will at least give you an opportunity to get out of the house, and get some fresh air.

Default Just got flu...

Need to get well by the end of weekend.Thinking of going to an off licence to buy some medicine.Do you know whats best to buy or to do now?Thank you,A.
    Last edited by Korn; May 21st, 2005 at 07:23 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Just got flu...

I hope you feel better soon. I had the flu 5 years ago and i have never felt so crap. I can only recomend that you get plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluid. It does usually take a week to shake of the flu though
    There is a link in health about flu, it may be worth a look

I'm very lucky and dont get ill very often,thus no useful advice, so intead of anything useful I give you BIG GETWELL HUGS.. Hope they help a little
    www.myspace.com/natureworks1

tails4wagging

Drink plenty (NOT alcohol!!) and keep warm in a well ventilated room. Rest.

spo

Default Re: Fever

Quote snivelingchild
    Is there anything I can do to help a fever pass quickly? I don't have much of a fever, only about 1.5 degrees above my ususal temp., but it certainly isn't pleasant.
    Hi, Sniv
    The best thing to do is increase your fluid intake. Drink lots of water and maybe some juices. Also, get plenty of rest.
    Is the fever due to a cold or sore throat? If it is, then, Stu has a good suggestion to take Vit. C, and also a health food store brand of Zinc C lozenges. Just be careful not to increase so much because they both can cause diarrhea.
    love, spo

Question Chicken Noodle Soup?

I have now (finally) caught a cold, my first one since becoming vegan. I don't know about the medicine that's ok to take, and I was wondering if anybody had any hollistic ways of fighting a cold, and just making me feel better. It's a bit of a doozy...please help!
    Peace Love Surf.

On the Coast

Default Re: Chicken Noodle Soup?

Here's the On the Coast - super duper cold woppin tea, gauranteed to work, or I'll send you a free bottle of my Specialty Vead (what's that you ask - that's privelaged info, to quell the unrest associated with wanton lust for Vead). Anyhoo, the cold woppin tea;

Big ol teapot 3/4 full of crystal clear water
    4 large cloves (or 6 small cloves) whole garlic, peeled but not cut
    1 medium size ripe lemon, cut into 6 to 8 pieces with skin intact
    1 heaping Tablespoon whole Mollasses
    1 heaping Tablespoon Rice Syrup

Boil the garlic and lemon for a good ten minutes or so. It helps if you stand over the teapot while it's roiling, and breathe deeply. Then, turn off the heat and mix in the sweeteners. Sometimes I actually like to add a bit more rice syrup. Repeat recipe and drink as much as you are able, I find that two pots of tea over a 24 hour period, usually does the trick. If you have an appetite, make a good veggie broth also by cooking down carrots, celery, spinach and another green in some H2O with a bit of Bragg's and Nutritional Yeast.
    And Rest!

Hope you feel better soon -

Talking Re: Chicken Noodle Soup?

i make a ginger lemon and rice syrup or mollases tea that sounds allot like on the coast's, but without the garlic...

i had a cold two weeks ago and i basically drown myself in soup...i made a black bean soup (with veggies) and a basic tofu soup...and some veggie stock with noodles...

i did the soup thing for two days, and on the third day i felt sooooo much better!!

i hope you get better soon!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Just keep O.J intake high as well. Drinking orange juice usually makes me feel a lot better.

echinacea is pretty effective - but the best is sambucol (if you can find one without honey in). if you start dosing with this at the first sign of a cold i guarantee it will fizzle out and the full cold will not come, you may just feel 'washy' for a day or two. buy both in health stores.

feel better soon

ugh im sick right now too. what helps me is soup, anything cold like popcicles or slushies, and lots and looootttsss of sleep.

Default Re: Sore throats? Cold remedies

Take good care Foxy (((((big hugs)))) to you. It's a good thing your Dad's friends got rid of that mould for you guys! Mould would've made your bronchitis a lot worse.

The best thing I've thought of to do when woken up in the middle of the night with a really bad sore throat and no stuff in the medicine cabinet is hot water with a generous amount of corn syrup. It's not a solution, but soothing enough to get back to sleep. Most throat sweets are essentially just sugar anyway.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Moochbabe & Foxy, so sorry to hear you're not feeling well! For sore throats, I make a sage tea gargle:

Put 3 fresh sage leaves (or 1 tsp dried) in a cup, then fill it with boiling water, cover and let cool for 10 minutes or so. Remove the leaves and add a little agave nectar and 1 tsp of white wine vinegar. Gargle as needed.

Elderberry is herb that has been used in treating the flu. This herb contains two compounds that are active against flu viruses. It also prevents the virus from invading respiratory tract cells.

Ginger tea is antiviral and helps break up the mucus and congestion. Ginger tea is excellent if the stomach is affected.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

I take a zinc lozenge once a day when I'm not sick and I take what the package says is the limit when I am, which thankfully hasn't been for a LONG time--knock on wood
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote foxytina_69
    ugh im sick right now too. what helps me is soup, anything cold like popcicles or slushies, and lots and looootttsss of sleep.
    Popsicles and slushies are soothing, yes, but loaded in sugar and offer no nutrition. What about freeze some orange juice in popsicle moulds?

i like slushies when im sick because theyre a treat and thats fine that they dont have much nutrition as its not like im drinking ten of them. and secondly, when i said popcicles, i meant natural organic fruit ones

I find that if I eat a ton of fruit, it helps. Also, raw crushed garlic on my salad.