Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cold Remedies

Default Re: Sore throats? Cold remedies

Quote Frosty View Post
    So from last weekend, Chris, VBB, me and you have all been ill. Definately something in the Nottingham air that night I think. Hope you start feeling better by the end of the week. I shall have to give you some special medicine on Saturday otherwise.
    I have my suspicions about where the cold came from but was a great weekend so worth it!

Hope you are not offering me the same thing you offered VBB on that sunday morning Frosty!

Someone here recommended brandy - I asked my boss if I could drink brandy at work and he didn't say no

Thanks for the hugs foxytina - VF hugs are the best!
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

Oh christ, what did I offer him?!

Brandy sounds like a good idea, I'd go for that. Maybe it'll numb the pain and get you merrily drunk I hope you get sorted by the weekend, hon. Mine is starting to shift now, only gone through half a box of tissues today! Lol.
    I like football. And potatoes.

Have just remembered I have some brandy at home

I can't stop coughing - although having no sense of smell I think I may have over done the 'Karma' today and that might not be helping
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

My throat is so sore............it feels like I've been eating shards of glass!
    So, I've just had a hot whiskey to help ease the pain.............it was purely for medicinal purposes only!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I can't remember where I read it, but I'm pretty sure Halls throat sweets (not lozenges) are vegan. They do help a little, as long as you don't do what I did and suck so many on an empty tum you make yourself sick

Also I don't think they're tested on animals because they're classed as sweets and not medicines, but I stand to be corrected on both counts.

May I just rant here, Coop's own brand ultra balm tissues (labelled vegan!!) and also the ultra soft tissues are NO SUCH THING! Sandpaper I tell you!

Hope everyone's better soon

I like the Halls sweets too Blue Moon............the menthol in them is very soothing. I forgot to buy some when I was out yesterday though, I'll have to get some tomorrow!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Unhappy Cold Remedies

Well, I've gotten one of my first colds since becoming vegan almost two years ago. I've been pretty lucky, as I was sick for around four years prior to becoming vegan. Anyway, I'm feeling like crap (bad sore throat, a headache, a little chest pain, very fatigued and weak, but no mucus or coughing) and really want to utilize some natural remedies. As I don't have a doctor for two more weeks (and then the wait and the exam...who knows how long), I really think I could use some advice. I'm being lazy and not doing too much internet research, but this is what I know so far:

Garlic - allycin chemicals that have antiviral properties
    Echinacea - immune boosting (at first signs) perhaps elderberry, too
    Licorice/ Marshmellow - throat soothing
    Tannins in teas - tightens and sooths membranes in the throat
    Cardamom/ black pepper/ ginger/ peppermint - clearing sinuses and/ or mucus
    Vitamin C - immunity
    Zinc - immunity and possibly antiviral

I have also heard two opposing ideas on cold. 1/ It is recommended to fast or eat very little to allow the energy utilized for digestion to be used for immune functions. 2/ The minerals, vitamins, and antioxidant properties of whole foods are necessary for your body to heal and recooperate under immune-system responses and/or stresses to the body. I really don't have an appetite but am feeling really weak and fatigued.

What do you guys think? Do you have any tried and true herbal remedies or supplements you can recommend to me?
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Default Re: Cold Remedies

Don't starve or force feed youself, just eat if you're hungry.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08..._fevers_colds/

Tiger balm is quite good for a cold.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

i grate about a finger of ginger into a glass add the jucie of about half a lemon crush a clove of garlic (or more if you can handle it!) into it and then fill it with hot water. (and then ad a bit of agave nectar for sweetness!)

the ginger clears things up and the garlic helps your immune system!

#1 thing - stay hydrated!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Thanks Risker and JJ. I think I'll head to the store to get some ginger, lemon, and garlic. The combination sounds nasty haha but I'll get it down. Oh and I also tried gargling with salt water and that helped a little. Plus I've got some zinc lozenges to suck on when the throat gets really bad.

I've been searching online today for sore throat remedies. I've had a sore throat for the last 4 days. I tried gargling cayenne pepper in water. It works but tastes vile. Its supposed to work even better if you can swallow a little.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

For sore throats I boil the kettle, and make a tea of golden syrup and lemon. Coats your throat nicely.

Cayenne pepper!! That really seems like it would hurt. although I've heard that it helps a lot with digestion. I've not heard of golden syrup, what is it?

What about caffeine? Does it hurt to have a few coffees throughout the day with a sore throat and cold?

probably wouldn't hurt. it has water in it..from the kettle..but doesn't caffeine/coffee dehydrate?

i've had a few colds..more than i would like and am stuck in the middle of one now..am just making sure i drink loads..throat is sore and tickly..and been making like thin soups and just sipping it out of a cup..which always seems more comforty than a bowl.

i don't think there's anything much that solves it when the virus has plonked itself into your system..rest..drink lots and keep warm and be nice to yourself by slowing down a bit..you have to ride it out..which is a bummer

golden syrup is a like a gloopy golden coloured syrupy refined sugar product...very sweet..nice on porridge..necessary in flapjacks!
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    Cayenne pepper!! That really seems like it would hurt.
    It doesn't hurt your throat but it does burn your mouth and lips a little. I can't stomach any more of the stuff though so I think I'll try the syrup and lemon. Hope agave syrup will work as good as golden.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

If you can find it, I would recommend throat comfort tea from Yogi Tea. I use it every time I'm sick or have allergies. Chai tea also works wonders. I hope you feel better soon.
    Noogle, that actually sounds very tasty mmmmm syrup.....

Thanks everyone. I do use yogi tea and have been doing all I can to get over this terrible cold! Especially eating tons of veggies and citrus fruits, taking zinc lozenges, and echinacea teas. I'm almost better!

I've had a few colds since I started this thread, but also had tonsilitis and strep throat. I was to get my tonsils out over winter break, but just didnt have the time to allow for surgery and recovery. So now I'm sick again; sore throat, worsened asthma, etc...and really dont want to get tonsilitis or strep again.

What can I do? I've used zinc lozenges, take a multi-vitamin, take liquid B12 supplement, and drink warm liquids, and have been eating lots of oranges and orange juice. I also cant stomach too much food right now because everything has made me really sick. What else can I do?

cobweb

do you use a neti pot for nasal irrigation, ella?
    they're very good.

I haven't tried a neti pot before, but I'm not having too much nasal congestion... justin my head and chest...

Now I've just tried to eat oatmeal and it came right back up (and 'out', if you know what I mean ).

*Speech Therapist nag alert* - please don't gargle with salt water or cayenne pepper - they will irritate and inflame the delicate membrane of the back of your throat and larynx. Alcohol feels like it helps, but it only temporarily anaesthetises your throat and ultimately dehydrates it. You're better off hydrating with warm (but not too hot drinks).

My Indian friend swears by turmeric in a glass of warm (soya) milk.

cobweb

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    I haven't tried a neti pot before, but I'm not having too much nasal congestion... justin my head and chest...

Now I've just tried to eat oatmeal and it came right back up (and 'out', if you know what I mean ).

it helps at the start of a cold though as it washes out some of the germs from your nose, and is also helpful with asthma and sinus problems

RR, I always thought gargling would help if your glands or tonsils were swollen. Thinking behind that was the salt would draw water (down its concentration gradient) out of the cells. That would make them smaller, which would make them hurt less and make it easier to swallow. But I guess that's not good when you're throat hurts, too (?) I'm guessing you by alcohol you mean the kind in cough syrup? I have a dry, deep cough, so I dont know how much cough syrup would help (?)

I can't drink soy milk right now, I'm staying off soy, nuts, seeds, and grains for my digestive problems. Do you think turmeric would work if I put some in water? (tastes ick... but).

But I'll try drinking more tea and use my inhaler again.

Oh Cobs, this isnt exactly the beginning of the cold, been 2 weeks. But I think I'll buy one to try for the head congestion.

cobweb

^ yeah, i know, ella, just thought i'd mention that for future reference
    i can't cope without mine

I don't think the sodium pump effect necessarily works topically, but also if you think about the action of gargling, I would think there's little opportunity for any effective 'drawing out' or poultice effect. I'm thinking in any case, the inflamed tissue isn't as far as I know swollen with water. If swallowing is hard, then I'd definitely be going the lube rather than abrasion route!

Yes, I did mean avoiding the alcohol in cough syrups and also hot toddies and things too. Tiger balm on the chest might be good if it's a deep cough.

I'm so sorry that you're feeling rubbish. Hope you feel better soon.

Awww thanks, Ruby and Cobs. If the roads look ok after that snow, I'll be able to go out and get a neti pot, some zinc lozenges, and vitamin C foods. I might get some probiotics, too.

cobweb

good idea, ella, be careful on the roads though!

Quote cobweb View Post
    do you use a neti pot for nasal irrigation, ella?
    they're very good.
    Do you know if there's a version that doesn't require the ability to blow your nose? Because a doctor recommended it back when I was having chronic sinusitis, though it's mostly cleared up by now. But it would be good to know for future reference, in case it comes back next winter.

cobweb

no, it's important to blow the nose after using one - but you could do that by just leaning over the sink after using the pot, and breathing out hard a few times. The important thing is to dry your nostrils with some exgagerated out breaths after using.

Does anyone know of any cough medicines that are vegan or any herbal remedies? My tickly cough has now turned chesty so I think maybe I should try to take something

I have 'hot milk and honey'. Soya milk with lots of agave. Doesn't cure it but makes your throat much less tickely, plus it's so comforting and yum!

Grrrr...so now I'm dealing with a cough, really bad wheezing, chest tightness, sore throat, and asthma attacks. I keep getting pains in my chest.

I think I'm eating something I'm allergic to, rather than fighting off a cold... I'm getting asthma attacks right after I start eating. So strange?!? I'd almost rather have a cold... I have tried doing all kinds of elimination diets and I'm getting tired of limiting myself without great results.

pavotrouge

I dare say: this sounds a bit like the histamine intolerance my best friend has... have you ever been checked for it (well I know there's now sure way to diagnose it)?

Oh Pavo... I remember discussing the histamine reaction with you before. I'm wondering if my normal allergies and IBS are really just a massive histamine reaction?! I suppose I'll see my allergist about this. Do you know what kind of tests they perform? I've had the prick tests w/ 20 shots on each arm. But that was more environmental allergies than food allergies. Is it even possible to have sudden onset reactions to foods I've always eaten?

pavotrouge

HI is not really an allergy, but it has allergy-like symptoms. you can only find it out through screening out any other allergies and trying to exclude relevant foods - though the reaction and "bad" food varies from person to person.

edit: allergies/reactions can always occur suddenly, from items that you didn't react to before.

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    I dare say: this sounds a bit like the histamine intolerance my best friend has... have you ever been checked for it (well I know there's now sure way to diagnose it)?
    My dad has that I think. I don't know how they found out; it was discovered when he was a kid long before I was born.

Strange... I suppose it's just another thing to add to my list next time I see a GP. I'm currently looking for a new GP (preferably a DO that has knowledge in nutrition) to figure out this CFS and IBS. I'm hoping this is all just one condition rather than three separate issues.

I briefly researched the histamine reaction and oral allergy syndrome. It seems that a lot of people with allergies and asthma develop sensitivities to certain fruits and vegetables b/c of cross-contamination. Meaning it's not the actual food, but the chemicals that come in contact with the food. Also, severe histamine reaction to foods can cause asthma attacks, which has happened to me quite a lot lately.

I found this chart interesting:

• Alder pollen: almonds, apples, celery, cherries, hazel nuts, peaches, pears, parsley
    • Birch pollen: almonds, apples, apricots, avocados, carrots, celery, cherries, chicory,[4] coriander, fennel, fig,[5] kiwifruit, nectarines, parsley, parsnips, peaches, pears, peppers, plums, potatoes, prunes, soy, wheat; Potential: hazel nuts, and walnuts
    • Grass pollen: fig,[5] melons, tomatoes, oranges
    • Mugwort pollen : carrots, celery, coriander, fennel, parsley, peppers, sunflower
    • Ragweed pollen : banana, cantaloupe, cucumber, honey dew, watermelon, zucchini; Potential: Dandelions or chamomile tea
    • Possible cross-reactions (to any of the above): berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc), citrus (oranges, lemons, etc), grapes, mango, figs, peanut, pineapple, pomegranates, watermelon
    I'm allergic to all of these; I'm worried that I'll start having a reaction to all of these fruits and vegetables!!

cvC

What apparently happens with oral allergy syndrome is that the body of a hayfever sufferer mistakes the protein in certain foods for that in the relevant pollen and reacts accordingly, ellaminnowpea. I do think you're on the right track in ignoring the naysayers about fasting in your search for better health and, if I may mention it again, do think that you might find that a few months off the nightshades might prove of benefit. If this is difficult to countenance, then I think it's worth remembering the addictive qualities that the nightshade tobacco is known for and I was interested to read this about someone who was trying to give up cigarettes:

She had tried everything from patches to hypnosis and when I chatted to her on the phone the first thing I asked was whether she liked tomatoes. As soon as she gave them up she was all right.
    http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science...tine-addiction

I'm interested in natural remedies to things and it was in seeing what there might be at Shirley's Wellness Cafe about the tonsil removal that you've said you've contemplated that I found the page linked below there about alternative treatments for asthma and allergies. I don't know what your history is as far as vaccinations are concerned, but was interested to see that there is a section that asks whether they can cause immune dysfunction resulting in allergies and asthma.

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.co...=321&kbid=1222

I don't agree with everything I've seen at the above site, but do at the same time think there's some informative and interesting stuff.

Quote Blue moon View Post
    I can't remember where I read it, but I'm pretty sure Halls throat sweets (not lozenges) are vegan. They do help a little, as long as you don't do what I did and suck so many on an empty tum you make yourself sick

Also I don't think they're tested on animals because they're classed as sweets and not medicines, but I stand to be corrected on both counts.

May I just rant here, Coop's own brand ultra balm tissues (labelled vegan!!) and also the ultra soft tissues are NO SUCH THING! Sandpaper I tell you!

Hope everyone's better soon
    Throat sweets? (This a UK terminology? ) All I'm familiar with are there are the lozenges (with drug facts) and then there are the supplements (like the citrus flavors). Is the latter kind what you mean?

Thank you, cvC!! I will definitely need to research everything a bit more.

I was fasting b/c of IBS, not the allergies/ asthma/ histamine reactions. But that situation has been resolved w/ new medicine.

I have also done a diet free of nightshades, which doesnt help at all. I thought it would help my joint pain... but it didnt.

I do agree that immunizations can make things worse for certain people... I have written about my own experience in that thread.

Overall, I have like the worst health ever: IBS, acid reflux, insufficient digestive enzymes, asthma, allergies, joint pain, chronic neck and back pain, heart problem, migraines, muscle weakness and chronic fatigue, etc... I must admit I'm impressed by your ability to remember all of this scattered throughout all of these VF threads! I am so utterly confused as to what to do next... I've tried just about everything.

cvC

I was doing some reading about chronic fatigue, during which I saw something about Lupus, and am just wondering if you might have that. Symptoms of it can apparently vary, but it is an illness of the immune system, which the allergies and OAS suggest you might have, and, according to what's at the link below, they can include "achy joints and swelling", "extreme fatigue" and "cardiopulmonary disorders":

http://lupus.about.com/od/signsandsy...nsSymptoms.htm

I can't recommend that you have a blood test to check for it as I really don't like having blood taken myself, but here's the story of a lupus sufferer who found considerable improvement after adopting the McDougal diet:

http://www.earthsave.org/newsletters/lupus.htm

pavotrouge

My coworker has lupus and ella's symptoms don't resemble what I've learned about it at all. Lupus is much worse than an allergy and usually you can't bear it for a long time without getting proper treatment (people used to die of it frequently).

After all, I think we shouldn't keep guessing what she could have... a forum can't be a substitute for a proper GP.

helen105281

Budda Belly has a really bad cold (man flu?) and has just made a concoction of warm fizzy good (fizzy vitamin thing), southern comfort, agave and juice. Said it has helped

pavotrouge

I hope he gets well soon!

I've had this cold since the last week of January... its now May. So that, coupled with my joint problems, fatigue, IBS, headaches, and pain issues, etc... I'm getting blood tests and allergy tests to figure out whats going on. I think it's just gotten too out of control. Firstly, they're working on pain management, but I'm also getting tested for rheumatoid factor before we move onto autoimmune/ CFS/ Fibromyalgia diagnoses...

I swear by this stuff called elderberry glycerite. You can find it at health food stores or a natural foods store. It tastes like a liquid blackberry but it has so many health benefits. I reccomend it to all my friends and family and they all love it. It works with anything from a sinus infection to broncitus or a sinus infection (in my opinion )

My doctor's sent me to the allergist/ asthma doctor and I had the allergy skin test and asthma tests again. Now confirming most of my respiratory illness/ cold was just severe asthma/ allergies... She also sent me for bloodwork for celiac since I have joint pain coupled with these issues.

Buddha Belly

I have been feeling really crap for three days, got awful aches in my joints and a really bad cough and an extremely severe headache since it started. I have no actual cold symptoms (apart from being hot and cold) or chest pain. Does anyone have any ideas what this is or anything that could help my head. Have even resorted to taking paracetemol but it hasn't touched it.

^ that's so weird..the other month i had that for two days i stayed in bed with horrific aches, the most awful headaches and fevery shivers..it sort of changed into really manky 10 day lasting flu. i hope you haven't got that

i have a cold atm..nothing really but still feel cack. i made a really hardcore soup last night with onions carrots..garlic, chilli, ginger, paprika and sage etc..i'm not saying soup cures flu..but maybe something intense foodwise might assist? or pineapple. or go to the docs if it hasn't shifted soon..?
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Buddha Belly

Thanks, hope I have not got that one. Don't even know where I have picked this up from either. I will try the soup one if I still have it as bad tomorrow. I have been living off a diet of water and vit c fizzy good tablets.

Hope you feel better soon