Thread: Geneva - where to eat out?

Default Geneva - where to eat out?

Hi everyone. I am visiting Geneva at the end of February and wondered if anyone has any advice on eating out. I will have no cooking facilities as I'll be in a hotel room. Can I expect to find any food to eat while I am out and about? I assume there is no chance of finding vegan sandwiches or snacks of that sort.

From what I can see there are no vegetarian restaurants.

I have found two places listed as 'vegetarian friendly':-
    Sushi Train (Japanese sushi) at 84 Rue du Rhone, Genčve 1204 and
    La Caravanne Passe (Egyptian Lebanese) at Rue Docteur Alfred Vincent 11, Geneva, Genčve 1201

Has anyone been to or heard anything these places? Do you know of anywhere else?

I also saw a restaurant mentioned on a blog - Le Retour D'Eau in Plainpalais area (21 Avenue de Sainte-Clotilde, Genčve 1205) but an internet search shows up nothing obvious so maybe it isn't there anymore? Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks for any info.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Default Re: Geneva - where to eat out?

Hi, Marrers.

I have been to---and have friends in--Switzerland. I'm afraid I can't give a first-hand account of that part of Switzerland (as I have only been there to catch an aeroplane). If you were going to Basel (regarding restaurants) I could give you some recommendations. If it would help, I can ask my friends.

Despite Switzerland not having much vegan-friendly restaurants (with exceptions of Basel and Zurich), your best bet is to buy your own food, which is VERY easy to come by. Thus, being vegan is easy there, if you do not rely on eating out.
    Last edited by Pisces; Feb 8th, 2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: FYI to add

They put cottage cheese in the houmous there...

Quote Pisces View Post
    If it would help, I can ask my friends.
    . . . your best bet is to buy your own food, which is VERY easy to come by. Thus, being vegan is easy there, if you do not rely on eating out.
    If your friends do have any knowledge of Geneva I'd be glad to hear what they say. Are there any ethnic places like Indian restaurants which may be an option?

We will be staying in a hotel so won't be able to prepare or store food really. I am a big fan of eating out especially when 'on holiday' so it's always a disappointment when it is not possible and I have to chew on dry baguettes as I wander the streets!!

Obviously I'll survive even if I have to eat nuts and stuff but it will certainly be one of those times when being vegan is a real pain.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Right, I'm going early on 28th (less than a week away now) so last call for some advice please! I fear I will be surviving on nuts and bananas at this rate.
    As I said I'm staying in a hotel so won't have a fridge or be able to make my own food.

I found some places that seem to be willing to cater to vegans. I've included their contact information to (in case you wanted to inquire). Be sure to notfiy them (in case they don't know what "vegan" is). Some of the websites are worth looking at, some of them even have English versions, including Patara, which looked particularly catering (if I remember correctly). I hope this helps.

LE KID

Address Boulevard Carl-Vogt 99
    1205 Genčve Phone +41(0)22 320 44 96 Web site www.restolekid.com

THAI
    Address Rue Neuve-du-Molard 3
    1204 Genčve Phone +41(0)22 310 12 54 Web site www.thai-geneve.com

PATARA
    Address Quai du Mont-Blanc 13
    1201 Genčve Phone +41(0)22 731 55 66 Web site www.patara-geneve.com

ROYAL INDIA

Address Rue des Pâquis 18
    1201 Genčve Phone +41 (0)22 731 62 38

SHAHI
    Address Place Cornavin 2
    1201 Genčve Phone +41(0)22 738 44 36 Web site www.shahifood.ch
    Last edited by Pisces; Feb 23rd, 2008 at 04:50 AM. Reason: had to add

Thanks hun, I'll check those out!

You're welcome. I wish you a safe trip and a good holiday.