Thread: Pie to feed non-vegans!

Smile Pie to feed non-vegans!

Some friends have asked me to come over and cook them a vegan dinner! I want to make something to impress them, because they are omnivores. They don't like curry or anything unusual and so I plan to make a pie (their favourite kind of food).....

Does anyone have any delicious pie filling recipes? I made a veg and tofu pie with mushroom gravy the other day, using just-roll pastry. Was tasty, but I want to experiment so I can give them the best pie ever!! Don't think they'll go for tofu either.

Any other ideas please? Thanks

Default Re: Pie to feed non-vegans!

I have a couple of great recipes which you make in a cake tin and they look like a giant pork pie. I think there is a mushroom and nut one and a spinach and corn one. The fillings are very solid. Do you want me to look out the recipes?

Or another impressive thing is to roll out a sheet of puff pastry, lightly cut a smaller rectangle inside it (like a pic frame or tv screen) but don't go all the way through, cook it then lift out the inner rectangle - put a filling of your choice (mushroom in cream sauce is always popular) and put the lid back on.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Could I have the mushroom and nut recipe please? That sounds nice most like something they will like good stodgy english food!

i have a cracking cornish pasty recipe or mushroom & ale pie. pm me if you are interested.

BlackCats

Mmm mushroom pie sounds yummy.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Or another impressive thing is to roll out a sheet of puff pastry, lightly cut a smaller rectangle inside it (like a pic frame or tv screen) but don't go all the way through, cook it then lift out the inner rectangle - put a filling of your choice (mushroom in cream sauce is always popular) and put the lid back on.
    someone's been dining at Mildred's

Ha, Mildred's has been copying us I'm afraid - my friend has been doing that for years and years!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I promised this recipe to someone else on here ages ago but I can't recall who.

It's called Deep Mushroom Pie. (The other one is Spinach, Sweetcorn and Nut Raised Pie.) Both from The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook by the Vegetarian Society (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Veg...1791876&sr=1-4)

Deep Mushroom Pie

Filling:-
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    350g mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
    225g mixed nuts, finely milled
    2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
    100g wholewheat breadcrumbs
    (2 eggs beaten – we just leave this out and don’t replace it with anything)
    1 tsp dried thyme or 2 tsp fresh
    1 tsp dried marjoram or 2 tsp fresh
    1 tbsp shoyu (Japanese soy sauce)
    salt & pepper to taste
    small quantity of stock to achieve right consistency if necessary

Pastry:-
    350g wholewheat flour
    pinch of salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    100g solid vegetable fat (I think I usually use normal marge)
    100ml water plus extra boiling water as necessary
    soya milk to glaze

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onions til soft.

2. Add the finely chopped mushrooms and cook until the juices begin to run.

3. Remove from heat and add all the other filling ingredients to form a thick, but not dry, consistency. Add a little stock or water if necessary. Leave to cool.

4. To prepare the pastry first sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.

5. Cut the fat into small pieces and melt in a saucepan. Add the cold water and bring to a fierce bubbling boil.

6. Immediately pour into the centre of the flour and mix vigorously with a wooden spoon until glossy.

7. When the mixture is cool enough to handle, use hands and knead it into a ball.

8. Divide the mixture into two-thirds and one-third. Place the one-thirds portion into an oiled plastic back to prevent drying out.

9. Use the two-thirds portion to line the base and sides of a 19cm / 7” spring sided cake tin, pressing it down and moulding it into position (no need to roll out).

10. Spoon in the mushroom filling, pressing down firmly to make a dome shape (so the top of the pie will be slightly domed).

11. Roll out the remaining pastry to just larger than the tin and place on top of the pie, pinching the edges together to seal.

12. Trim off excess pastry and glaze with soya milk.

13. Cut or prick vents in the lid to allow the steam to escape.

14. Bake at 220C / 425F / Gas Mark 7 for 20 minutes. Reduce to 190C / 375F / Gas Mark 5 and bake for a further hour.

15. Release the spring side of the casing and remove from tin to serve on a plate.

(Serves 4. Prep about 35 mins, cooking 1 hour and 20 mins.)

Sounds delish, thanks Marrers!

Thanks for the recipes provided. I found out that one friend doesn't like mushrooms so I ended up using a pie recipe from 'hot damn and hell yeah' and it went down very well. We had the pie with sweet potato wedges and all the omnivores loved it and said they will cook vegan pie again! They even like the tofu I put in there! Yippee!

Nice one!
    Great to show the omni's how nice vegan food can be