Thread: The Food Doctor Diet Plan by Ian Marber

RebeccaDye

Default The Food Doctor Diet Plan by Ian Marber

Have any of you followed the Food Doctor plan?
    How has it worked out for you?
    Is it worth it?

I'm considering it.
    Thanks
    xx

Default Re: The Food Doctor Diet Plan by Ian Marber

I've never heard of it.

RebeccaDye

Oh.
    He's kind of big in the UK.
    His diet plans are based on these 10 principals:

"1. Eating protein with complex carbohydrates By understanding how to combine the right foods in the correct proportions, you will remain full of energy and still be able to lose weight. 2. Keeping Hydrated
    You should aim to drink at least six generously sized glasses of water a day. Water is also the best thirst-quencher; other beverages can only quench your thirst in proportion to the amount of water they contain.
    3. Eating a wide variety of foods.
    If you have a long-term weight issue, it’s very possible that some foods have, over time, become off limits in your mind, while you have grown to consider other foods ‘safe’. This tends to limit the range of foods you buy to just those that you feel most comfortable eating.
    4. Fuel up frequently
    Eating little and often is crucial to the plan. By eating the right foods and snacks at regular intervals throughout the day, you should be able to keep your energy levels constant so that you can function well without food cravings.
    5. Eat breakfast
    By far the worst meal to skip is breakfast, so it is essential to start the day with a healthy breakfast.
    6. Avoid sugar
    Ian believes that sugar is as much to blame for weight gain as fat and as the ‘Everyday Diet’ is designed to help you achieve good digestive health, avoiding sugar takes on added importance.
    7. Exercise
    Exercise is crucial to the diet.
    8. Follow the plan at least 80% of the time
    It is our nature to veer off course after a while, usually out of frustration or boredom – hence the all important 80:20 rule.
    9. Make time to eat
    Eating is an essential yet pleasurable social ritual, and one that Ian feels has become devalued in our society. Fast food, ready-made meals and the pressure we all impose on ourselves to save time have eliminated the importance of sitting down to enjoy a meal. So make the time to eat.
    10. Eat fat to lose fat
    Although the fat accumulated in our bodies and the fats in food are, in theory, similar, they are actually quite different; the essential fats present in a variety of foods are crucial for the body to function properly."

He has several books out and produces a line of snacks, seeds etc.
    I'm wondering whether to give it a go and whether it'll constrict my vegan diet loads...

All sounds like good, common sense to me. I follow the 80:20 rule for the most part. I actually watch what I eat and count my calories evey day. Then one day a week I have a cheat day, where I eat whatever I feel like, without worrying about calories or nutritional values.

During the week, if I feel like indulging, thinking about "cheat day" helps me to maintain healthy eating habbits knowing I have a day coming up where I can indulge a little bit

RebeccaDye

Ok thanks.
    I love the idea of the cheat day!
    I just need something to summarise what I should be eating - I'm 15 and have only been vegan for six months but have already managed to become anaemic!

I saw your post in the other thread about iron. My iron levels are ok, but around the time that I donate blood I take an iron supplement. Spatone is the one I use.

RebeccaDye

Oh thanks.
    Do you think I should be taking one supplement a day or is that too much?

It sounds pretty good, I think I try to keep to these principles anyway, especially about keeping to it 80% of the time, as I often forget the principles in the face of peanut butter and chocolate. I have seen the products in shops, but assumed they were Gillian McKeith's - d'uh!

RebeccaDye

Same with peanut butter and chocolate
    Gillian McKeith, scary woman!