Thread: South Beach Diet

Default South Beach Diet

What do you think about the South Beach Diet every other person seems to be on nowdays?? Is it not just a spinn off the Atkins Diet, maybe a little more 'refined'? Personally, low-carb diets make me as annoyed as the republican party. It always amazes me what people are willing to follow if you push the advertising machine 24/7. Now the majority of the population (at least it seems like) thinks that this is the ONLY way to lose weight!! All vegans must be morbidly obese because their diet is HIGH-CARB!!

:
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

I have never seen the South Beach Diet, but if it a low carb crock of s**t, then I already hate it! If carbs make you fat, then I am still waiting to pile on the kilos!!!

Hmmm I have to agree with Banana - I am a carb junkie, especially the grain variety. I eat a whole large vegan pizza for a meal *and* I eat just before going to bed...I also eat fresh foods have an active lifestyle and occasionally eat loads of coconut cream, avocado's and a variety of oils.

My weight has not budged for the last 10 years past 54kg (8.5 stone) and I am 175cm tall (5'9"). Maybe I have a "lucky" metabolism but exercise would seem to be the key....
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Quote kriz
    All vegans must be morbidly obese because their diet is HIGH-CARB!!

Not mine!

A good friend of mine went on this diet and lost an amazing amount of weight. I try to tell him that I'm happy for him, but that he should think about the potential long term effects. I wish that he would reevaluate his diet now that he's at the weight that he wants to be, and work on maintaining that weight with a healthy varied diet. Needless to say, he doesn't want to hear it.
    -JK

I have a friend who was on Atkins. I refrained for the most part from displaying my ill-affection for it because when he started he said he did not intend to do it long term. It has been about a year since he started and he is now off the diet!
    I also think I've had a good influence on his 'normal' diet from all I've talked with him on nutrition. I think I got him to give up soft drinks (I don't know if he kept it up) and he at least knows now to buy peanut butter with no perservatives, in smaller jars, and kept in the fridge.

ConsciousCuisine

South Beach Diet is a moderate-carb higher animal protein diet. It focuses on choosing "better carbs" (avoiding refined flours/sugars etc.) and eating more "good fats" than the SAD. It still is not a plan I support. It's better than Atkins, but I think people should have a balanced/sensible/individualized plan and not stick to rigid "diets".

my boyfriend's mum and sister are almost veggie (his mum eats fish and they both eat gelatine, wear leather etc.) and they have both tried the South Beach Diet.

his mum is unfortunately quite a fan of fad diets that promise to lose you a lot of weight over a short period of time, especially those cabbage soup-type ones which completely baffle me. she loses a bit of weight for a holiday or a party, and then goes back to her normal weight, which isn't really that much overweight anyway

doesn't the South Beach diet still advocate eating lots of eggs and cheese?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote DontJustDoSomething, SitThere
    Not mine!
    curious to know what you eat DJDSST? if you are low in carbs you must be high in fat and protein as proportions go. I am curious to know where you find vegan high protein without the carbs.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

ack, gorilla. Cabbage soup diet? My mother just started that one, despite my protests. At least I talked her out of Atkins and South Beach. That part I'm quite relieved with that but I'm afraid she's another one that's a fan of the fad diets. She's been on one fad diet or another my whole life and her metabolism is sooo messed up now because of it.

Why can't people just eat properly and exercise instead of falling for one quick fix after the other?

Quote Kiva Dancer

Why can't people just eat properly and exercise instead of falling for one quick fix after the other?
    Coz that would just make too much sense

Quote Gorilla
    doesn't the South Beach diet still advocate eating lots of eggs and cheese?
    *disclaimer - i do not believe in this diet in any way*

In my understanding, the SBD is similar to atkins in that you reduce carbs, but you also reduce fat. So cheese is allowed, but only lowfat/fat free cheese. Egg whites are probably allowed. I don't think red meat is allowed, it focuses on fishes and shrimp and lower fat chicken, turkey, etc. Carbs to focus on are whole grains. Red wine is allowed. Fruits and veggies are allowed.

Better than living on bacon, cheese, eggs and mayo like atkins, but still far from healthy and ideal for long term.

i have seen these recipes for deserts that make me puke - fat free ricotta cheese with splenda and cinammin - (or cocoa powder). blech!

Default Re: South Beach Diet

Quote Banana
    Coz that would just make too much sense

Its not about sense, for a long time I ate to compensate. Feeling low, feeling bad etc. AT one point you feel totally lost. You want to change but still are attached to your old bad eating habits. To me the soutbeach diet helped me, gave me an easy guideline to follow. It might have not been the best idea ever but it gave me ideas on how to eat healthier and better. I just made the South Beach Diet vegan... add that with exercise and I feel and look better than I have in my entire life. When it comes to dieting its no longer about the food you put in your body its about the feelings and emotions that you are not thinking about because its comforting... The many people that have had to eat better and start exercising I have found this to be true...

Ileana

I am only defending this because I know what its like to lose shitload of weight and not feel good because I was so overweight. In theory eating healthy and exercising is awsome and I am dearly and constantly fighting that battle. To people who aren't naturaly healthy and skinny this is a struggle.

Yogini

I'm all for choosing the right carbohydrates as opposed to eating refined and processed sugar and flour. That's as far as my support for lo-carb diets go.

I tried a vegetarian version of Atkins several years ago - lots and lots of eggs, cheese, and tofu. The smell of eggs still makes me want to vomit.

Before I started exercising, I suffered from compulsive overeating (stopping psychotropic meds and exercising regularly cured me.) I tried doing Overeaters Anonymous to cure myself. OA is NOT vegan friendly. My "sponsor" was always trying to get me to eat meat, but she freaked out if I ate avocado because "that's high fat." Whatever.

Love,
    Anna

Quote kriz
    What do you think about the South Beach Diet every other person seems to be on nowdays?? Is it not just a spinn off the Atkins Diet, maybe a little more 'refined'? Personally, low-carb diets make me as annoyed as the republican party. It always amazes me what people are willing to follow if you push the advertising machine 24/7. Now the majority of the population (at least it seems like) thinks that this is the ONLY way to lose weight!! All vegans must be morbidly obese because their diet is HIGH-CARB!!

:
    Please excuse me for quoting you in entirety but I feel exactly same way, if not more so. Give some stupid plan a catchy name and mass-marketing and people will gobble it up, especially if it contains the word "carb." People are (Still! Argh!) constantly telling me that "carbs" make them fat, and when I tell them that my diet is approximately 70% "carbs" that shuts them up. Real quick.