Thread: A raw/vegan village

Default A raw/vegan village

http://www.RawVeganVillage.com

I'm not sure how I feel about this ...

In some ways, it sounds like heaven-on-earth, in others, it's sort of cult-like, alienating others, which I don't think veganism should be about.

I think finding our own way in the world and inspiring others, wherever we happen to be, is the way to go.

This may be ideal as a vacation/spa/detox type thing though. Add some yoga workshops and gourmet raw lectures and you'd have a goldmine.

What do you think?

seitan

Default Re: A raw/vegan village

anold freind always has a good question for doing band interviews.
    if, you could go to an island, with only the people you wnated, and you would be totally self sufficient, with no outside help, and it would be compltely vegan, BUT, you could never go back to your original home, would you go?

your first thought is "yes!", but for me, when i thought about it, its escaping, and kind of ignoring whats still going on elsewhere, animals will still be getting used and abused. i couldnt turn my back on them like that.

Gorgeous words, Seitan -- you just gave me chills!

Does your friend write for a vegan magazine?

I write a lot of entertainment articles at my job too, but it's for a local newspaper, so I can't ask them such freeform questions. Perhaps someday I'll write for a vegan publication too ... I'd love to interview Dick Dale or Joan Jett.

seitan

Quote Healthy View Post
    Gorgeous words, Seitan -- you just gave me chills!

Does your friend write for a vegan magazine?

I write a lot of entertainment articles at my job too, but it's for a local newspaper, so I can't ask them such freeform questions. Perhaps someday I'll write for a vegan publication too ... I'd love to interview Dick Dale or Joan Jett.
    my "friend" i was tlaking about, well, thats a whole otehr story.
    i knew him back in the mid to late 80's, we played in a band together. he was onyl vegetarian. he moved away, to go to some vegetarian cooking school. few years later, id heard hed become some kind military police, but kind more scretive than that, and was no longer a vegetarian.
    how people change!

Wow, that sure is a big change!

Was he the one who inspired you to become a vegetarian?

What sort of band did you play in?

(Nosey, ain't I?)

seitan

Quote Healthy View Post
    Wow, that sure is a big change!

Was he the one who inspired you to become a vegetarian?

What sort of band did you play in?

(Nosey, ain't I?)
    no, i think i was vegan before he was vegetarian, we met through a mutual freind, who played in the band too.
    it was a punk band, with political ideas, and, obviously animal rights messages.
    all the bands i play in now (we dont play live any more, just record) contain all vegan members

That's so cool. I'd love to hear a punk band with animal rights messages. What punk bands could you compare your music with when you were in that band?

Recording music is definitely the way to go. I'm not a musician, but I wrote (and recorded) my first children's Christmas song a year ago. I being in a studio and the whole creative process.

seitan

Quote Healthy View Post
    That's so cool. I'd love to hear a punk band with animal rights messages. What punk bands could you compare your music with when you were in that band?

Recording music is definitely the way to go. I'm not a musician, but I wrote (and recorded) my first children's Christmas song a year ago. I being in a studio and the whole creative process.
    there are MANY punk bands with animal rights messages. it was apunk band from the early 80's that got me to see the light and go vegetarian in the first place.
    luckily, i kidn of have my own "studio", its just my drums, guitars, amps, and recording software on my laptop

Hey - I really want to convert to the raw food way - it's too cold right now to give up hot soup and the likes......definitely a good idea to try for a while in the summer months...if only for a short while. It gives you amazing energy and is the best way to detox. I've already started on the smoothie/ juice craze which is amazing. I've met 2 raw foodies - both mentally energetic guys as far as I could tell.

Why do you think it cultish Healthy?....maybe it is.......looks good to me though. ...Raw artichokes are great.

it looks tantalising tempting though.

]

Juicy, I've been eating high raw since 2003, with periods of 100 percent raw. I'm quite aware of the super high energy, as I only sleep between 5 to 7 hours per night (and I get the energy high from yoga and love, not just raw foods). That said, when eating 100 percent raw, I lost too much weight. People were asking me if I was sick. It took TWO years of eating healthy cooked whole foods, in addition to all the raw fruits and vegetables I love so much to gain the weight back. I'll never put myself or my loved ones through that again.

I'm not knocking the raw food lifestyle, what works for some will not work for all. What I am knocking is people who want to live in a rah-rah bubble.

I truly believe that alienating yourself from others is the most unhealthy thing in the world. One of my beliefs that goes along with veganism is called "ahimsa" which is love for all mankind -- animals AND humans. I NEVER want to separate myself from omnis, because who knows, I may influence someone to become vegan and I can't do that if I hide myself away in a bubble with only like-minded folks

Cedar: YES, they are very pricey. If I spent that kind of money, heh-heh, I'd love to live in a mansion Spring Lake, NJ -- minutes from the beach and my favorite health food store that buys gourmet foods from Awesome Foods (which, in my opinion, makes the best raw pizza!)

And I don't think living in such an atmosphere will be all that supportive, to be honest. I've frequented raw food message boards for years, and people there are just as argumentive and negative as anywhere else. It wouldn't be a dream home -- not for me anyway.

I agree with you, Healthy. As much as we may not like it, I think vegans should mingle and live with omnis. If we all went off and lived on an excluded vegan island, no one new would become vegan! I'm sure none of us came up with veganism on our own. We all knew someone or heard of someone (either in real life or on TV or whatever) who was vegan and it got the wheels in our brain going. I know I didn't wake up one morning and say, "I have this unique idea to stop eating animal products!" It was another vegan I met online that planted the compassionate seed in my mind.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Great insights and great story, Tigerlily.

I became vegan five months ago after purchasing "Animal Liberation" from a neighbor's yard sale.

Ironically, I would have never found the book if I hadn't been living with my omni boyfriend -- who now eats many vegan meals with me

If I hadn't found that book, I'd still be the pseudo vegetarian eating cheese and fish.

heat13

That's very interesting- thanks for posting. Where abouts are they building it? I wouldn't mind that great-looking Farmer's Market Maybe we could get a few more of those on the "outside world"

Great point Heat13 -- I'd love to see a merging of raw vegan with the outside world. Now THAT would be ideal

Interesting website, but very impractical in my opinion.

What the hell is a raw vegan library? A library only filled with books about raw veganism? Also where is the raw vegan doctor's office? And where will people work? And how would they treat a person who bought a toaster? Would they be ostracized from the community?

On the map near the bottom of the page they show an area on the bottom right where horses will be kept. Why keep horses? Hopefully not to ride them!
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

heat13

Quote bugaboo View Post
    Interesting website, but very impractical in my opinion.

What the hell is a raw vegan library? A library only filled with books about raw veganism? Also where is the raw vegan doctor's office? And where will people work? And how would they treat a person who bought a toaster? Would they be ostracized from the community?

On the map near the bottom of the page they show an area on the bottom right where horses will be kept. Why keep horses? Hopefully not to ride them!
    Very true!

Why limit yourslef... I feel like you grow from learning, experiencing and reading about other things- plus, if you seperate yourself from other omnis- who will educate them

Personally, I couldn't stand living in a place like that.

Quote cedarblue View Post
    it looks tantalising tempting though.

good points everyone.
    i still quite fancy the idea for a holiday though.
    the guys at the garden diet were more personally interactive with folk than they seem to be now. i could be wrong but the business side of the raw/organic/simpler lifestyle seems to be a lucrative big business now.

Bugaboo, you're funny

Roxy, yeah, I kinda agree ... although the way my jackass coworkers make fun of my salads every day, I'd like to run away to a place like that for a few days of peace! (Ahhh, better days are coming for me, but that's a seperate thread I guess ... less than a month and I'll be out of that shithole!)

Mahk

Horses?! [Bugaboo called it.]

Something tells me they don't mean the wild kind, either.

Something fishy going on here, I'm steering clear.

Yeah lol, I see your point. I dunno though - it seems a bit "cultish" to me though. Or maybe that's just my paranoid imagination

Ooops sorry - I didn't see Mahk's post. I was replying to Healthy

thre's now a blog for the development of this place if anyone is interested.

http://web.mac.com/jinjeetalifero/iW...Blog/Blog.html